Albula Hotel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Tivoli

Great ruin illuminatedGreat ruin illuminated

Depicts rigors of building Villa d'EsteDepicts rigors of building Villa d'Este

Piccole TermePiccole Terme

Tre EsedreTre Esedre

Restaurants in Tivoli

by travelgourmet

OK, all you VTers who know the in's and outs of Rome, how about Tivoli? I need to find a restaurant that worthy of a 7000 mile trip to enjoy. Are there any in Tivoli and where do I find this restaurant. Thank you for the time to reply.

RE: Restaurants in Tivoli

by mccalpin

Near the entrance to Hadrian's Villa (but inside?) is a restaurant that is kind of like a country club. My wife and I were dressed in our usual business casual (Dockers, dress shirts, etc.), and I asked if we could eat outside under the arbor. They were happy to seat us. As we were led out to the arbor, we saw a group of tourists in shorts and loud shirts (yet in their 50s-60s so not young) turned away, I presume because of the way they were dressed.

We ate a very nice lunch out under the arbor on a very pleasant day in July, along with a number - but not many - Italians for whom this was considered a Sunday outing.

You know, I have no idea what we ate, but we remember that meal very well, because it was an example of where you can get in if you don't dress like a tourist. It was the sort of place that people go after church while still dressed in their Sunday best.

Oh, it was not cheap - I think it was $100US for the two of us in 1996(!)...but it was good...whatever it was ;-)

Hmmmn, this MAY be the website - http://www.hoteladriano.it/en/index.html

Bill

RE: RE: Restaurants in Tivoli

by baronedivandastad

The place Bill mentions is called Adriano: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/6f468/2296b/2/

Much more traditional (and cheaper!!) is a place called Tenuta di Rocca Bruna, right next to the Tivoli motorway exit. It is built in a former stable, and has a nice park with dining garden, excellent wine list and a few interesting dishes. I haven't tried this in a while, so it may have changed. Let us know!

Cheers,
mac

RE: RE: Restaurants in Tivoli

by travelgourmet

Thank you for the replies. I will look up both locations and the Sunday Brunch at Adriano sounds interesting. Thanks again for the tips. My wife and I will be in Roma the first weekend of September. Arrivederci.

Travel Tips for Tivoli

Bring enough food for the locals!!

by Colzy

If you have been to Italy then you have surely noticed the abundance of cats EVERYWHERE. Tivoli is no different and I snapped this little ditty of my allergy-prone boyfriend as he sat down and attempted to have something to eat at Villa d'Este. He was sneezing all afternoon!! I will never forget this scene and it had me giggling for the rest of the day...

So, moral of the story is I guess if you are not allergy prone, be nice to the locals and make sure to pack some milk!!

Villa d'Este

by Sarita76

Villa d'Este was built in the 1550s for Cardinal Hippolyte d'Este.
The villa was a former Benedictine convent and the rooms were decorated and frescoed. But Villa d'Este is mainly known for its worldwide famous gardens. These gardens are enriched by many fountains, such as the 'Fountain of the Dragons' and 'the One Hundred Fountains', deep pools shaded by trees, and the 'Water Organ Fountain'.

A romantic setting

by TinKan

There were so many things to see and it was such a romantic setting. You could just imagine all of the royalty coming for parties and gatherings in amongst the fountains and gardens of this stately home. All of this was built without the modern tools we have today and rivers were diverted to make all of the fountains work with out the use of electric pumps. It truly is a wonder and a place of beauty.

Wonderful fossil-rich rock

by leics

If you visit the Villa d'Este (as you probably will) take a closer look at some of the stones used for bordering paths in the gardens (and in some walls too).

It's a type of limestone, but is fossil-rich. In fact, it seems to consist almost entirely of prehistoric corals, concreted together by the millennia. Tubes and bubbles and casts abound:entirely wondrous.

I saw it in Rome too, in what remains of the Palatine gardens of the Villa Farnese. I suspect it must have been a popular 'garden feature' in Renaissance times.

Well worth a closer look.

The Great Baths

by sandysmith

This was the mens bath complex.
The Romans sure loved their baths - there are several bath complexes at Villa Adriana.
The great circular room probably housed the Turkish bath (sudatio) as no plumbing pipes are present.

Comments