Via Tiburtina 288, Tivoli, Lazio, 00011, Italy
Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Tivoli

No surfing todayNo surfing today

Tivoli Villa d'Este Gardens and FountainsTivoli Villa d'Este Gardens and Fountains

VestiboloVestibolo

Tre EsedreTre Esedre

Rome to Tivoli

by AnnPeter

How much of a pain is it to get from Rome to Tivoli (bus or train)? We would like to see the Villa d’est and Hadrian’s villa – can this be done comfortably in a half day or do you need a full day? If possible we would prefer to do this under our own steam rather then take a tour. Thanks in advance.

Re: Rome to Tivoli

by fairy_dust

I would recommend a full day - I only had a half day and only got to see the Villa d'Este. I loved it so much that I ended up staying several hours in just that villa, and didn't have time to see the other so I spent the rest of the time walking around and exploring the town.

As for getting to Rome, it's easy to take the bus. I can't remember the name of the subway station where you stop to board the bus, but it's mentioned in several transportation tips on the Tivoli pages.

Travel Tips for Tivoli

Antique Tibur, ravaged by the Goths and abandon

by alza

When I first saw Tivoli, the Internet did not exist. I was inspired by Marguerite Yourcenar's Mémoires d'Hadrien (Memoirs of Hadrian.) I cannot imagine visiting Villa Adriana without knowing Yourcenar's magnificent portrait of the man that was Hadrian.

I re-visited Villa Adriana in June 2010, accompanied this time by a Roman archeologist. It made a difference in the facts that I learned, although the overall impression was tainted by the passage of time and by the way the site has adapted to mass tourim.

The ensemble view has been altered insidiously. Olive groves have been cut to make way for a handy parking and ticket booth. The shepherd's reed bed has gone. Where are the violets on the grass of the Tempé? Gone is the "noble solitude" of the Poecile, transformed into a square. A fake plaster "antique" fountain lets one fill up a plastic bottle for the visit...

"The slightest macadam road where grass grew undisturbed for centuries brings irreparable damage... beauty flees, as does authenticity." (Yourcenar)

I learned more facts this time but imagination was bounded.

This is nostalgia speaking. The Villa is still a stunning place to see. Villa Adriana

Villa d'Este

Tivoli take-Two...

by sandysmith

Imagine my delight when we had seen the sights art Hadrian's Villa and realised we just had enough time to pop back to Tivoli do the sights missed and then head back to Rome. Well that wasn't quite the story - some of the sights just didn't seem to exist or we managed to get lost even with the map and some of the other sights were under renovation :-(
What i thought would be a quick half hour re-visit turn into a frustating, foot weary search - may be I should have left the map alone!
At least the water fountains quenched our thirst and later we comforted ourselves with our favourite restaurant back in Rome :-))

Narrow streets

by sandysmith

The old part of the town has such narrow streets and its rustic charm was so appealing. Walking down these passageways, admiring the old stonework on the buildings and seeing the peace flags hanging from the windows and balconies added to the colour.

Lots of surprises just around the corner...

by Sarita76

As I live close to Tivoli, I usually walk through the town without looking at buildings, churches and ruins... It's because I'm in a hurry and go there just to shop or something... but there's much to see...

Canopus Caryatides

by sandysmith

The western side of the canopus has central columns, substituted by six Caryatides, four of which are copies of a temple on the Acropolis in Athens and the other two Caryatides represent Sileni (cement reproductions as the originals are in the museum). Oh look they are reflected too ;-))

Comments