Hotel Leon D'oro

Travel Tips for Viterbo

Viterbo

by cuckoo

"Viterbo December 1999"

We visited Viterbo specifically for the reason of going to the Hot Springs there. It was December 24 and we were in Italy to spend Christmas with my sister and her family. My sister and her husband used to live in Mexico and very often would travel around the country, when time allowed, visiting the hot springs. When they moved to Italy searching out hot springs was one of the first things they did!! These hot springs were Daniel and my first experience of them..........WOW! It was a very cold day and we arrived at what appeared to be an outdoor swimming pool! It was a great experience. The atmosphere was so peaceful and tranquil, even the children were affected by it and calmed down. Although the temperature was very low the sun was shining. Once you get over the strong smell of the sulphur, which did not bother me but does some people, just go with it!!
These springs are 'official' ones and are well looked after and clean with indoor changing areas. The only downside is that they were expensive, but I will have to check on the exact ammount and come back with it. Sorry but I did not get any pictures here.

"Hot Springs June 2001"

When we went back to Italy this year, my sister had discovered these hot springs. Again, they were near Viterbo but so much different than the previous ones we had been too. These were just in a field, down a bumpy track. You do not have to pay, just put some money in a jar at the gate. The farmer who owns the land comes in once a week and cuts the grass surrounding the pools and that is it!! Nothing else there except for these great pools:) In this picture the pool is on the left and the excess water from the source is running down in a stream on the left side.

The water in the main pool was very hot!! As was the weather. The water leaves a residue in the bottom of the pool and many people were spreading this on their bodies and then lying in the sun to let it dry. I have to say that I did not try this, but I am sure it must have had some benefits:)

Well one of us had to have a go with the mud, and we voted Stuart as the one:) After covering him with it, we made him sit in the sun, on the grass as nobody wanted him on their blankets, for a couple of hours!! The children all had great fun running around him, teasing him, trying to tempt him into moving, as when he did move his "new" skin cracked and flaked off where it had baked from the warmth of the sun. But he did feel kind of nice and soft after a bathe in the pool to remove the last of it.

This is the source of the water. It comes bubbling out of the ground and goes down into the main pool. There is also something here where people can sit and inhale the vapours. The water as it comes out of the ground was very hot indeed and you must be careful here. My small nephew stood in it and burnt his foot.

Comments