Via Fratelli Ferrari, Bogliasco, 16031, Italy
Expedia.com Venere.com Travelocity

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Bogliasco

Never managed to buy anything here.Never managed to buy anything here.

Supermarket.Supermarket.

Taxi stand.Taxi stand.

Post Office.Post Office.

Travel Tips for Bogliasco

Need a haircut?

by craic

You can get a cheaper haircut here than in Nervi or Genoa. I am sure if it is more than 15 euro they are robbing you. No English spoken. But just step in, sit on the bench, wait your turn. Two chairs. One barber.
The trick is to find the place. No way of knowing it is a barber's shop unless you know. Men only. But as I get a number 4 clippers I reckon they could be persuaded to do me. Or then again, perhaps not. This is a traditional, non touristic sort of place, the only visitors are probably the Fellows from up at the Fondazione Bogliasco - foreigners wearing different clothes and walking around not knowing where anything is talking all sorts of languages to each other. We stand out like sore thumbs.
I haven't tested it out but it could be in this sort of village where a woman does not get her hair cut at the barber's shop. PS Like all the shops in the village it is closed between 1 and 4.

PPS Sandro - who is Italian - told me a story at dinner last night about how 3 times he tried to get a haircut and each time he was told the barber was too busy. Then one of the guys on the bench intervened and said something like - Give the poor guy a haircut.
Sandro noticed he got a new barber sheet - everyone else got the same one - and got a spray with the atomiser - no one else did. There was no price list - he was too unnerved to ask for the price and was sweating on how much it might be (Rip the stranger off sort of thing) so was very relieved it was only 10 euro. But I suspect it was more than the locals pay.

Everyone paid in cash and there could be a reason for this - and a reason why the shop is not at all obvious.

Need a doctor?

by craic

I got sick, a cold turned into a chest infection (yes, I know it is because I smoke) so I went down to the village to find Dott. V. Petruzelli. No appointment necessary. And he was surprisingly easy to find because he had a brass plaque up. You do have to know the surgery hours though and I have no idea how you would find this out. Maybe just turn up, at a likely time, hopefully.
I was told it wouldn't cost me anything - but couldn't ascertain if it is because doctors are free or if it is because this doctor bulkbilled or if he would send the bill to the Fondazione Bogliasco.
He certainly never got me to sign anything or show him my id or even took my name or address - except my name for the blessed prescription of antibiotics which cured me.
He had quite enough English to get through to me and was very cheerful and happy and after he listened to the noises in my chest told me I had a chest full of cats. That is apparently the Italian way of describing the sound of someone breathing with a chest infection.

The etiquette of the waiting room.

by craic

Once you are up the stairs you will see a sign saying - Studi Medici. This is not where the Medici family retire to read and pay their bills. This is the doctor's surgery.
I entered and looked for a receptionist. No, just a waiting room heaving with people happily chatting in Italian to each other and answering their mobile phones.
I had just enough Italian to stammer out a query.
And a few people pointed at one of the woman. Gradually I understood that I was to see the doctor after her. (At first I though she must be the receptionist.)
Another customer arrived and looked around enquiringly and asked something and everyone pointed at me and I nodded. Yes, she went in after me.

Phew - got that one sorted.

Then she engaged me in conversation waving a packet of pills and I thought she was saying that I went in before her. So I cheerfully nodded. But when finally it was my turn she dashed in.
It appeared I had agreed that as she just wanted a repeat prescription to allow her to jump the queue.
But as it was her village and her doctor I would have agreed even if I knew what she had been saying.

Golly, it's complicated.

Farmacia.

by craic

Of course by the time I had got my prescription it was after one and the chemist was closed. So I had to walk back up to the villa and then back down again at four.
Do not believe him if the guy closing up the Tabacchi shop says it is aperto at tre. Either he is having fun with the tourist or he thinks tre means four.
(Actually, now I think of it, I went in today and asked him for quattro packets of malboro rossi and he gave me three until I asked for one more. Some sort of three/four problem going on there I think.)
The antibiotics cost 10 euro - and he gave me the script back with a receipt stapled to it.
But I don't think I will bother the travel insurance with it. 10 euro is cheap at the price to feel well again.

When you get tired of Ligurian cuisine ...

by craic

,,, not that it is not good but we are not even served lasagna because that comes from Bologna - there is a cute little takeaway in Via Mazzini - three steps from the railway station.
Pizza, stuffed pide bread, russian salad, chicken legs, quichey things etc etc.
All quite cheap and luke warm from the bain marie - I asked but they can't and won't heat it up for you. Maybe because anything too hot (or too cold) is bad for you.

I like pesto. But not every day.

Comments