Europa Rapallo Genoa

Hotel Europa
Booking.com Venere.com Expedia.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Genoa

Overview of the cityOverview of the city

the huge ballthe huge ball

South Pole HabitatSouth Pole Habitat

DolphinDolphin

genoa tour guide?

by sharonwhouse

My family of five, including 3 adult children, will be visiting Genoa in early June, taking a train from an apartment in Bogliasco.
Two questions---is the train the best way to get to Genoa and does anyone know a good guide for a day tour of historical and cultural sites as well as the big market?

thanks

by leics

Yes, train is the easiest way to travel in Italy. the network is extensive, trains are sfae and comfortable and very reasonably-priced.

You can find train times, details and fares in English here;

Journey time is around 20 minutes, one-way fare 1.70 euro.

I know nothing of guides I'm afraid. I see no point in paying a great deal of money for something I can easily and safely do by myself, so never use them.

But I do not think you will have any problems whatsoever in guiding yourselves if you take a good guidebook (I like the Rough Guides), which I consider to be an essential anyway. You will be able to get streetmaps, advice and English language information leaflets at the Genoa tourismo (tourist info office). Locations and info in English here:

A small phrasebook/dictionary will also be useful..but I assume you will have one of these for your Italian visit anyway?

by craic

By a strange coincidenece I have spent time in Genoa and a month in Bogliasco. I frequently caught the train from Genoa to Bogliasco and it is quick and easy and cheap - but just be aware that trains going through Bogliasco do not always stop at Bogliasco. It's a minor station.

What big market are you talking about? There was a weekly market in Bogliasco when I was there a couple of years ago - but it was a small, local thing. Cheap socks and fruit and veg and cheese etc. It was no big deal.

You will of course want to walk the Anita Garibaldi promenade from Bogliasco through to Nervi.
And perhaps a day trip to Camogli? And a ferry to the ancient monastery on San Fruttuoso. Perhaps you would even like to walk from there over the hills to Portofino.

by leics

Is there a 'big market' in Genoa, Jen?

by craic

oh i have suddenly realised i have got this question the wrong way round

there was a chrismas market in the ferrari square while we were there last time - not so great - and seasonal

and we did wander round a market in a permanent building near the centre of town - but it was mostly food - fruit veg, cheese and the husband was steering me away from one section and i wondered why and he told me later it was big hairy haunches of cheese

there may be other markets but i haven't come upon them

it was not like Florence with that wonderful permanent market right (well there were 2) right in the centre of town - leather leather wear and really nice scarves that I invested in

i am sure genoa must have a market

i seem to remember walking through one on the park just outside Brignole Station - but mostly cheap tat

by craic

oh damn - stupid typo - hairy haunches of HORSE!!!

by leics

Nonononono..there may hairy haunches of cheese as well. :-)

by craic

i have seen hairy cheese, now you mention it

Travel Tips for Genoa

Arriving Genoa

by Erkmen

Genoa has a small airport with connections from major italian cities such as Milan and rome and also air dometica is operating some international flights. There is a direct flight from Munich..

I have choosed to come to Genoa by train from Milan. After an hour and a half, I reached Genoa Principe train station. There are two main train stations at Genoa. Principe is the one for mainly intercity trains and Brignole for local inland trains.

Time to say goodbye… for now…

by sim1

After a great night it was time to say goodbye. A warm evening in Genoa… sigh… I wish it would have stayed weather like this during my whole trip. But during the night the weather changed and it started to rain…. rain that would follow me around during my trip. Hahaha, I shouldn’t complain too much though, I had some great sunny days as well. But not anymore in Genoa… the rain was there to wave me goodbye in Genoa, and greeted me again when I got back here after a week.

A Statement ! Political ? Religious ?

by KristaB

While walking through side alleys with Chiara, we stumbled upon this stunning ...
piece of art?

Christmas decorations, both reindeers without their LEFT ear!
I'll ask Chiara to translate the graffiti from the wall. Something about government and video surveillance, and about passive boycott?

Then we can try to figure out the whole message.
Since G8 Summit that took place in Genoa in 2001, the citizens became more sensitive to political issues, there are rainbow colored Peace flags hanging from many windows, and graffiti like these on many walls.

Il Carmine

by Carletto76

The "Carmine" district is a part of the Historic Centre almost unknown to tourist, and to many genovese people too! It's still a bit in bad conditions, but several restorations have been done in these last year and this part of the town too is getting its former beauty again day by day!

You can easily get there from Piazza della Nunziata, or going down from Castelletto. Not far from the Principe railway station.

By all modes of transport,...

by shiran_d

By all modes of transport,
Since 1962 Genoa has had an airport serving the European continent, which was built on a wide landscaped area obtained by reclaiming a stretch of sea facing Sestri Ponente.
Best way to see the city is by waliking each of the streets of Genoa.
This was you are going to get all the money worth in one trip.

Have a grear trip and enjoy it.
Love