La Casa di Gabriella

Booking.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data

More about La Spezia

And inside the Castello!And inside the Castello!

Vernazza CenterVernazza Center

By the portBy the port

RiomaggioreRiomaggiore

La Spezia to Chamonix

by C&G323

I have been unable to find information on how I can get to Chamonix from La Spezia by train. Can somebody answer this? How long will it take and what website can I confirm schedules?

Re: La Spezia to Chamonix

by mccalpin

"You can't get there from here"...no, you really can...I've just always wanted to say that ;-)

But it will be a gruesome, all day trip.

Normally, I recommend that people use the rail website of the starting country...in this case, www.trenitalia.com . And indeed, trenitalia does show three solutions: the shortest one being just over 18 hours with 4 changes. Yikes!

However, I also know that when it comes to international trips like this, that trenitalia has also been acting funny (they're in a dispute with some of the other rail companies so won't show their trains - bah!), so using trenitalia in this case won't always show you all options.

So go to the German rail website (www.bahn.de) where you will see that there are options that take as little at 8 or 9 hours...still awful, huh?

You won't be able to get pricing, though, on the whole solution - you'll have to price each segment separately in the various national rail websites, or go through a travel agent (who will upcharge) like raileurope.com...or just go to the train station or visit a travel agent in La Spezia...

And since you're going to take all day to do this, you might as well take the advice given above and take the scenic route ;-)

Bill

Travel Tips for La Spezia

Manarola

by Sarita76

Manarola is one of the five villages of Cinque Terre.
The village of Manarola is surrounded by vines and is situated along a stream. The "Via dell'Amore" starts here: a two-kilometers long track towards Riomaggiore.

When in Rome (or La Spezia), do as the Romans do

by Bunsch

I must have led a charmed life up to this particular venture to Italy, because in all the other countries I visited, English was either one of the standard languages or, in the case of France, I spoke the ambient tongue. I suppose I expected that many, if not most, of the hoteliers and shop keepers and transport personnel in Italy would speak at least a modicum of English. I didn't invest in a phrase-book (although it turned out my companion had brought one along). What arrogance! I have only myself to blame for the multiple times when language barriers led to absurd or disappointing results. (It is hard to ask for directions when you can't articulate where you want to go -- and can't understand when someone tries to help out.)

Probably no one reading this tip would make such a foolish mistake, but just in case...either learn enough Italian to get by, or keep a phrase-book or English-Italian dictionary close at hand. I promise you'll have a more enjoyable visit.

(And as one VT'er says in a very funny motto which I will badly paraphrase, speaking English slowly and very loudly does NOT make it more comprehensible!)

Portovenere

by micas_pt

Portovenere is a lovely village near La Spezia. We visited it by car, but there are also trains and boats leaving from La Spezia to Portovenere. The landscape is breathtaking and the colour of the water makes you feel like diving into the sea at once.

Portovenere has colourful houses along a path by the shore. By the end of the path you will come across a church inside some walls, situated on top of a high cliff overlooking the sea. The marina and the fishing boats provide yet more colour to this characteristic village. If visiting La Spezia take some time to know Portovenere, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Cinque Terre- a place for everyone

by ethereal

"Cinque Terre"

I was advised to go to CInque Terre which is not far from La Spezia. Five small coastal towns, each unique in it's own way. It was a day trip from Florence, and if only we knew about it earlier we might have found a place to stay. The hike through all five towns is extremely long but extremely magnificant. And the reward at the end is a beautiful beach, and really really great ice cream. However beware of the hiking trail, it must have been created my the large amounts of people that came to visit. It does not hold enough room for two people to pass, and because it's all hills, it's quite dangerous in places, so be courteous and allow people from the opposite direction to pass you. I managed to do it in flip flops, with my running shoes tide to my backpack, and yes I did get laughed at by American tourists who thought I didn't understand them.

"Riomaggiore"

Riomaggiore, the start of the hike, ignore the smell of fish and lather on the sunscreen it's going to be a long, beautiful day.

"Monterosso"

This terre has the greatest ice cream and beaches, and it's definatly worth the entire hike over. From here you can take a train back to La Spezia.

Comments