Albergo Stella Della Marina

Hotel Stella della Marina
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Monterosso al Mare

Beach at Monterosso al MareBeach at Monterosso al Mare

Above the door, Oratorio Mortis et OrationisAbove the door, Oratorio Mortis et Orationis

In the Bar Nuovo EdenIn the Bar Nuovo Eden

view from our B&B's entranceview from our B&B's entrance

Trains

by aherbert

We are leaving Monterosso on the 19th June 2009- travelling by train to Rome.the train leaves La Spezia Cantrale at 6.51. Is there an early train form Monterosso to La Spezia?

by Maryimelda

The first train from Monterosso is at 6.20am. It arrives in La Spezia at 6.44am.
If there are no delays, you could make it but I would certainly have a Plan B in mind in case you don't make it. Can you not get a later train to Rome?

by leics

Look at the Italian railway site:

It will gie you times, details and fares for all Italian trainsin English.

You will see that the first train leaves Monterosso at 6.20, arriving at La Spezia Centrale at 6.44.

You should be able to connect with the Rome train as long as there are no delays, but it will be tight. You need to be ready to get off as soon as the train stops, as you will almost certainly have to change platforms.

My personal preference would be for a later train to Rome, or a taxi to La Spezia. Italian trains as as reliable as any I have used in Europe, but no railway service can be guaranteed for all trains on all routes at all times. Delays can occur.

by Mikebond

I must say that regional trains are more likely to arrive on time than Eurostar or intercity trains, at least in North-Eastern Italy. So you may be able to take the train to Rome.
However, one never knows what can happen, so you'd better look for a train to Rome leaving later.

Travel Tips for Monterosso al Mare

Go there!

by sue_stone

The Cinque Terre is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

The villages are gorgeous, the views breathtaking and the energetic hikes give you a great excuse to eat plenty of gelato!!

Make time in your next trip to Italy to visit this magical place. Monterosso is the largest of the 5 villages, and is popular as it has the only "proper" beach of the 5.

Jewellery for dogs?

by toonsarah

OK I can’t really say for sure that this is a local custom, unless by local we mean the custom of just one person, but I had to smile when I saw it. This dog was relaxing outside one of the shops in Monterosso Vecchio, sporting a pretty bead necklace. Did you ever see such a thing?! Perhaps he is something of an advertisement for the shop, which certainly appeared to sell little bits of jewellery. Or perhaps his owner just loves him so much that she (I feel sure it’s a “she”) wanted to show him off to his best advantage :-)

If you want to seek him out yourself, the shop was towards the end of the Via Roma as it climbs out of the oldest part of town, just past the point where it is joined by the Via V. Emanuele.

Genova - Genoa

by sikorka

The last day of our stay in Monterosso we decided to go for a day trip to Genoa. It takes only 1,5 h to get there by train. The trip is very interesting by itself because the train pass thru many little towns of Riviera Ligure (this part is called La Riviera di Levante). Unfortunately we did not have time to stop in famous Portofino or Rapallo and we headed directly to Genoa. We spent there 6 hours sightseeing the historic center of the city and also Old Harbour (Porto Antico). Of course we did not forget to try the typical dish: FARINATA
It was our first visit to Genoa and we were really impressed by its beauty. For sure we are going to come back there soon.

From Monterosso al Mare trains to Genoa leave approximately every 2 hours, we took one at 10:18 AM and arrived around noon. Return ticket costs 9 Euro. Remember to validate it before getting on the train.

Cinema Giardino - an old Open-Air-Cinema

by globetrott

Behind the house, I could have a look into the garden, where I saw the sreen and the chairs lined up in a way, that make me think, THIS works only in the high-tourist-season, when the weather is really hot outside

...simply when all these "crazy tourists" are around, searching for the "good-old-times"...

;-))

Hiking in Cinque Terre!

by sikorka

Hiking in Cinque Terre is a real pleasure, views are unforgettable and flora is beautiful.
We spend the whole day hiking from Monterosso al Mare to Riomaggiore, we were taking our time in each of 5 towns, it was really relaxing day.
The whole trail from Monterosso a Riomaggiore is supposed to take about 5h (9km), but it depends on how fit you are.
The most difficult is a hike from Monterosso to Vernazza, it's very steep at the beginning, there are many steps to do, so if somebody does not feel like sweating a bit it's better to start in Corniglia and hike to Riomaggiore from there. Starting from Corniglia direction to Riomaggiore the hike is really easy, it's more like walking path with sea view. It takes about 1,5h to do it.

But, even if the trail from Monterosso to Vernazza is the most difficult I found it the most beautiful, the wildest, with captivating view of Monterosso and later panoramic view of Vernazza. It's awesome!!!
I am six month pregnant and I did all the hike so I feel like most people can do it without problem, of course you need to have good shoes and it's better if it's not too hot!

Comments