Via IV Novembre, 21, Monterosso al Mare, 19016, Italy

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel 5 Terre

Getting to the Cinque Terre (Italy) without a car

by Wingtips

The Cinque Terre is my favorite place anywhere ... you'll find it a vacation from your busy vacation. It is connected by main line rail from at the the Monterosso station, and some locals stop at the other towns, enroute to/from La Spezia. It is on the main line south from Genova (Genoa), and has some direct trains to Milano Centrale as well. Piza comes up in the schedules as another connecting point for trains from Florence.

There is no need (or place) for a car once you are in the 5 towns. Hotels in Monterosso, B&B's and apartments in the other towns. Restaurants abound, with all kinds of fish available and recommended. The towns are all connected by a foot trail through what is now a national park (i.e. admission charge now). Some parts are rugged and steep. You can go part way until you drop, and take a train back to where you are staying in the 5 towns.

Another option is to get to/stay in Portovenere and take the water bus around the point and north to the C.T. towns on the water (not Corniglia .. 263 steps up from the train station). Grand Hotel in Portovenere is lovely, and right by the pier. Last time, we stayed at "Hotel 5 Terre" in Monterosso at a good rate. Not all rooms have A/C, so be specific. They let us come right back at the same rate when we were marooned due to the 1 day train strike. (Oh, darn...another day in paradise.)

I'm envious...I want to go back!

Monterosso al Mare - Cinque Terre

by hcg

"al Mare"

"To do"

"Monterosso for 40 years 1968 - 2007"

First time I visit Liguria and Monterosso was in July 1968 with my father ho were an artist. The coast of Cinque terre was one of he's favorite places in Europe.
We go by train from the north of Sweden via Copenhagen with the "italianexpress" to Hamburg and then to Milan.

I got a friend in Monterosso at that time, Emilio Delle Piane. He´s mother works at the Hotel Cinque Terre. Emilio still lives in Monterosso with he's family. We still meet!

In 1968 Monterosso was a village where many lives on fishing. Today, 2007, there are only ONE fischermann left! Today the tourism get the people money.

Hotel Advice

by lselimos

Has anyone stayed at the LaSpiaggia Hotel in Monterosso, Italy? It seems to be so convenient to the train station - 1 block. We are looking for a place that is close or has a taxi service because we will have several suitcases with us. I have read both good and bad things about this hotel. In order to reserve a room you have to call them directly, which is not a problem. I just wanted to get some advice from people who have stayed there. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Lynn

Re: Hotel Advice

by travelfrosch

I stayed at Pension Agavi close about 10 years ago... but my main advice is to bring less luggage. Especially in the Cinque Terre, cars have very limited access, so whatever you bring, you'll have to carry most of the way.

A general rule of thumb when traveling is to determine how much you want to pack and how much money you want to bring with you. Then take half the luggage and bring twice the money. :)

But seriously, please make an attempt to pack lighter. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Mark

Between Rome and Florence & Cinque Terre and Nice

Hi All

I am planning a trip for next month in Italy. We are travelling from Naples to Nice over 3 weeks or so. I have finalised all details except for between Rome and Florence (we will have a hired car) and between Cinque Terre and Nice (we won’t have a hired car).

We have 2 days and 2 nights between Rome and Florence. What should we see along the way and where is recommended to spend the nights? We will have a car so it
easy to get around!

We also have 2 days and 2 nights between Cinque Terre and Nice. What should we see along the way and where is recommended to spend the nights? We will be catching the train.

Thanks very much for your help
Johnny

Hi AntoItaly

Thanks for your answer but what I meant is that we will be in Rome before that and Florence after that. We are spending 2 1/2 days in Rome and 2 days in Florence. I am just looking for information about what to see between Rome and Florence i.e. Tuscany / Umbria.

Thanks!

by nicolaitan

Question 1 - orvieto, siena, or assisi. drive the ss222, the chianti route thru the vineyards and villages.

Question 2 - consider monte carlo, the oft-maligned genoa, or if you want more beach resort type time santa margherita ligure or camogli, all on the train line.

by squizzy1

visit umbria region between rome and florence or stay in cortona, south of tuscany

as regards between 5 terre and nice what about sanremo and the flower riviera?

by Wingtips

Another option is to get to/stay in Portovenere and take the water bus around the point and north to the C.T. towns on the water (not Corniglia .. 263 steps up from the train station). Grand Hotel in Portovenere is lovely. Last time, we stayed at "Hotel 5 Terre" in Monterosso at a good rate. Not all rooms have A/C, so be specific.

I'm envious...I want to go back!

by johnnywalker77

Thanks everyone for the replies - great advice and we will be taking up on it !!

Comments