Via Lungomare Fegina, 98, Monterosso al Mare, Cinque Terre, 19016, Italy

Booking.com eDreams

• goodfish's Profile Photo

A room with a view

I chose this small, family-run hotel based on positive reviews, location, price and availability of rooms overlooking the Ligurian Sea. La Spiaggia is right across from the beach and just a short, level walk from the station: a big plus after a long, frustrating day trying to get to Monterosso during a train strike. Our room was small by U.S. standards - not uncommon in Italy - but very clean and comfortable with a lovely little balcony offering terrific panoramas of the mountains and water: perfect for us. Amenities: room safe, satelliteTV, hair dryer, fan.

Other pluses:
    Service: stellar. Owner Andrea Poggi is a gruff, interesting gentleman who is a wealth of knowledge about his village that he'll share it with you all day if you have the time: do spare some of that for a chat! Maria and Ele are treasures who efficiently handle the desk, show you personally to your room, and then supply you with a welcoming, complimentary glass of Mr. Andrea’s homemade wine while providing maps, restaurant recommendations and general info about the area. Welcoming, kind and ever-so-helpful, our daily encounters with the staff were often a highlight of our day. Mr. Poggi even surprised us with a thank-you bottle of his wine upon checkout: wow. Note their travel-industry awards - including Trip Advisor's - in the lobby.

Breakfast: included in the tariff, served in a pleasant room, and a nice spread of cold meats, cheese, pastries, biscuits, coffee, juice, coffee, and the best granola EVER.

Location: in the ‘new’ section of town and right across from the biggest beach in the Cinque Terre. It’s also just steps away from great restaurants (don’t miss Cantina di Miky!) and beach-side bars.

Other nice amenities are an elevator and lobby bar: great place for that chat with Mr. Andrea.

Good things to know:
    • Payment is cash only: no credit cards. Plan ahead to have enough currency in hand to cover your bill

• Rooms come in a variety of sizes, and a couple of them have large, covered terraces. Not all rooms have sea views so be sure and specify one of those!

• While you have direct access to the sandy/pebbly beach, and a section of it is free for throwing down a towel, chairs and sunshades are rented from one of the sea-side services which do that. You are kindly asked NOT to use your room towels on the beach: the hotel will rent you one for a modest fee (people kept lifting those when they were free). Please also dry off and clean off any loose sand before entering the hotel so as not to drip all over marble lobby floors (water and sand makes them dangerously slippery!) and help keep them clean.

• That beach will be insanely crowded in peak season

• Not all rooms have air conditioning but we slept with the doors open and were very comfortable in May. Nearby bars and restaurants could be noisy during the busy season but we slept well to the sound of the sea.

• Wifi is available for a fee, and can be spotty but that’s a general location issue and not the fault of the hotel.

• This is not a 5* hotel and they don’t pretend to be anything but what they are: small, convenient, friendly, clean, perfectly lovely 2 or 3-star with service and location that, IMHO, far exceeds that rating. Cinque Terre hotels are expensive and rates here - at €160 for a double (2012) - were very reasonable compared to most other options.

• The desk is not manned 24/7 but this is only a problem should you arrive for check-in at a very late hour: contact the hotel for advice in this case. Otherwise, night owls are able to let themselves in during the wee hours.

Our favorite thing? Getting up early, making some instant coffee (we brought a hot pot), and grabbing a chair on the balcony to watch Monterosso wake up; doesn’t get any better than that.

Highly recommended: will book it again on our next trip.

More about Hotel La Spiaggia

Spectacular La Spiaggia

What can I say about this outstanding hotel "La SPIAGGIA?"
All good, that's for sure!
Starting with the beautiful view from our room, a huge balcony where my husband and I sipped "Andrea Poggi's" own delicious wine watching the sea in amazement. The view took our breath away....literally..absolutely gorgeous!
Mr. Poggi gave us the bottle with his compliments when we arrived. We loved the beach, we were down there everyday enjoying the sea and the people of Cinque Terre. We relaxed on our own HUGE balcony and felt like it was our own little paradise.
The beds were very comfy and the breeze off the sea at night was so nice we slept with the french doors open so we could enjoy every bit of it.
The showers were equipped with full pressure and nice and hot.
The breakfast was outstanding, especially the cappucino!
We had an amazing time and can't wait to go back!
There's no place like La Spiaggia!
Gina and Dale Parker
South Florida,USA

The best in hospitality!!

My family just returned from a 2 week trip to Italy. I have to say that after sightseeing at break neck speed our stop in the Cinque Terre (Monterosso al Mare) was such a pleasant change of pace. We were so impressed with the La Spiaggia hotel and especially Mr. Andrea Poggi. He was such a warm man and was never too busy to personally help us with whatever we needed. He greeted us with his own wine upon arrival, offered to make dinner reservations for us every night, shared his interesting and funny stories with us, and truly made us feel welcome in his hotel. Andrea's staff is amazingly friendly and always treated us with kindness. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. We had a balcony overlooking the sea and slept with our windows open and enjoyed the crasing of the waves as we slept. Upon check out he gave us a bottle of wine from his own vineyard and some homemade pesto that his wife makes. Mr. Poggi is someone that we enjoyed meeting and we have taken some fond memories home with us from our stay there.

LOVED it

I absolutly loved this place. My boyfriend and were backpacking through Europe two summers ago. We were originally supposed to stay somewhere else during our four days in Monterosso but through a language mixup we ended up with no place. We just walked into Hotel La Spaggia and Andre was an amazing help. He thankfully spoke great English and got us a room for an affordable price.

Where we stayed it was a private room with a shared bathroom. Since we were backpacking this was fine for us- the shared bathroom was extremely clean and the room we stayed in was wonderful as well. On our way out of the hotel Andre gave us a bottle of the wine he makes- amazing! I'm sending two family members there this summer. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member FearlessDriver63

After reading previous reviews here, perhaps I was expecting too much. Yes, I had a nice time in cinque terre, yes, Mr. Poggi is a personable character. Yes, you'll get a complimentary bottle of wine. But let's talk about the hotel, OK?

This is a 2 star hotel, nothing more.

Positives: The place is very clean. Free parking is available. Breakfast was good.

Negatives: The beds were uncomfortable, they did not have box springs and were mattresses on top of soft metal spring frames. There was no heat available the nights we were there, the room was musty and there is no ventilation system, so we had a choice between freezing with the window open or breathing stale air. There is poor sound insulation from the corridor, and one of the nights we were there other guests were running between rooms and banging doors til midnight. We left the bathroom exhaust fan on all night; it was the only way to mask out the noise from the hallway. No smoke detectors or emergency lighting in the hallways. If there's a fire, you're toast, literally.

The room was barren, with beaten up college dorm furniture, and a cold tile floor. The shower was so small that you may not be able to pick up the soap if you drop it. The management insists on holding your passport for the entire duration of your stay, on the pretext of needing it for police registration; everywhere else in Italy that I stayed, they would make a copy of your passport and give it back to you immediately. We stayed at La Spiaggia during a national holiday and paid a high price (130 euro) for this room on the side of the building with a partial ocean view. Taking this all into account, if you can get a full ocean view room here for 80-90 euro, I think you'll be satisfied.

Good Location, Horrible Bathrooms

by TripAdvisor Member blebl12

Stayed here over Easter weekend with my girlfriend. While the location was good, and we enjoyed the views of the beach, sea, and mountains, our room was way below average. Uncomfortable beds, nasty linens, and rinky-dink furniture was disappointing. But the worst part of all was the bathroom, which was tiny and very smelly. If you left the door open, the whole room was filled with some nasty funk that just lived in the bathroom. And the shower was extremely small. It was hard to turn around in there without bumping into the walls and knocking things down.
And the owner was friendly....but sometimes too friendly. We couldn't leave the hotel without 15 minutes of stories. And everytime we left at night, he'd try to book us a restaurant. He did once, and we didn't really like it. Then the next night we booked one ourselves, then he bashed it, but it turned out to be great. And lastly, when giving my passport back, he said he'd give me a Monterosso stamp in it, then proceeded to give me a stamp from the hotel that's used for mailing things. I didn't appreciate that at all.
PROS: breakfast, views
CONS: bathroom smelly, shower tiny, bed was uncomfortable

Great Choice for Hospitality and Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member dgayron

My wife and I arrived on April 30th by train fram Milan. We were well received by the owner, Andrea Poggi.

This is a small very clean hotel with clean bathrooms, great views, outstanding customer service and a very customer oriented staff. The room also comes with a nice breakfast.

Andrea took charge of our three day vacation and directed us on the best routes to visit the other Cinque Terre Villages. He also selected the best places to eat during our visit. We received discounts and the best seating everyplace.

On our last night Andrea treated us to a special meal in his dining room and throughout our stay we were served at least a bottle of wine every day.

While we were checking out Andrea gave us several books and a very nice artful calender along with a bottle of his great wine.

The area is fantastic and we will visit again next year.

Wonderful Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member jlim311124

We stayed here from April 28 to May 1 and had a wonderful time. Yes, the rooms may not be as nice as maybe other places in Cinque Terre, but given the customer service AND the view, it all makes up for it. My boyfriend and I slept fine on the beds. it's definitely not a Westin heavenly bed, but we never had a problem sleeping. It's actually nice to keep the window open when you sleep. We were treated to limitless glasses of Mr. Poggi's own wine and of course his great hospitality and willingness to give advice and to suggest places to eat. Although some might find this intrusive, I don't mind when an owner goes out of his way to try and help their guests even if you don't decide to follow with what they say. I also stayed at 5 star hotels in Rome, Venice and Florence, and not everyone was as nice. Some had a posh arrogance towards their guests. But here, they really do try their best in customer service AND they're NICE when doing it!! Breakfast is included and I love how they have Nutella. And I can't forget to mention his lovely assistant Ella. She was so nice and wonderful and really made our stay enjoyable. I was trying to contact Trenitalia and had trouble getting through them by phone with my calling card, that she offered me her own cell phone to use! It's the little things that matter. And they also take down your name and address so they can send you Xmas cards.

The free bottle of wine at the end of your stay was just the icing on top. All in all, the people at La Spiaggia were really charming and nice and I would love to stay there again at my next visit!

Avoid if possible

The management of this hotel are very rude so be prepared. Respect for guests and personal skills are most certainly lacking. Perhaps they just don't care as another victim will be sure to walk thru their lobby door given the high volume of tourists in the region. In all my travels I have never encountered such rude condescending behaviour and had I not been desperate for accomodation I would surely have walked out of the establishment. Please do not reward this conduct by staying at this hotel, as there are many other better choices if you do your homework.

Consider yourself warned!

I stayed at La Spaggia Hotel from April 28 to May 1, 2006. I based my selection almost entirely on the positive reviews that I had read on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed.

Andrea Poggi, the “friendly” owner was boorish and intrusive. Sure, he speaks great English and loves to talk. We got a free glass of wine upon our arrival, but then he proceeded to blabber on and on about how strange and stupid American women are and why had we picked such crazy train schedules. He then recommended a restaurant around the corner and gave us his card for a “discount”. The restaurant ended up being terribly expensive and we waited over two hours (after ordering) for our food to arrive. It ended up being the most expensive and the least enjoyable meal of our trip and we felt as if we had been scammed a bit.

The rooms were bare and shabby with broken light fixtures and uncomfortable beds. We were awakened each night by loud voices and banging in the hallway. The worst was that he insisted on keeping our passports for the entire visit, yet didn’t open the hotel office until 8:30 am which caused my friend to miss her morning train to Rome (she couldn’t leave without her passport).

Sr. Poggi also refuses to accept credit cards so we had to make several trips to the ATMs so we would have enough cash to give him (for some reason all of the ATMs in Montorosso had a 200 euro limit).

When I checked out, he said he had given me another “discount” which was of course the highest fare possible (135 euro per night) posted for that room. He then stamped my passport with his hotel’s address label, gave me a free bottle of wine, some incorrect advice for the train and once again insulted American women.

I am a seasoned traveler and usually stay in very modest accommodations. I am not the ugly American traveler and I know what to expect from Italian hotels and pensiones. The La Spaggia is over-priced and I think the owner is having the last laugh.

On a positive note, the location is nice and the breakfast was good but I would never stay there again.

Beware the insulting owner, especially if you're female.

My friend and I were really looking forward to staying in this hotel, even though it's really pricey--135 euros per night and we stayed for 3 nights from Apr. 28th to our May 1st checkout. We'd read all the reviews about how the manager was the nicest in all of Italy. Boy were we surprised.

Sure, he was friendly at first when we received our complimentary glass of wine. After being hustled out of the lobby by his staff, we made our way to the room. I've stayed in hostels that were nicer than this dive! The doors in the hallways were propped open using dressers and the room itself was filled with Goodwill furniture. The bathroom was the worst: mold and mildew all around the window, a toilet that flushed outside the bowl, the shower so small that my elbows were bruised trying to wash my hair, and the "shower gel" that never got replenished after the first use. Our first impression? CHEAP. For that price, we expected a bit more than watered down shower gel, a shower cap, and shoe polish.

We made our way to the restaurant the owner recommended and it was right around the corner. It was overpriced and we were made to wait for our food for 2.5 hours. That is no exaggeration. As soon as we complained, it showed up. It wasn't even that good.

In the mornings, the two cleaning women (and the owner!) made as much noise as possible starting from 8:30 - 9am. Forget about sleeping in; they were banging stuff so much that you just had to laugh and the owner's booming voice ensured that you would vacate your room as soon as possible!

The worst was when I realized that I would miss my morning train to Rome because no one would be at the front desk (to give me back my passport) until 8:30 in the morning. I was able to change the ticket but needed to be back at the train station by 8:41, where I had my friend camped out with my luggage so I could run the relay race with the passport and back to leave Monterosso. The owner arrived at the front desk at 8:30am where I politely asked for my passport in Italian. I then told him in English that I had to catch my train at 8:41 and needed to go right then, so my friend would check us out at 10 (as he was still holding her passport). He kept me in the lobby as long as possible, trying to tell me to catch another train and that it was my "female mentality" that was the problem. I asked, "How so?" and he said that it's just like a woman to try to get to Philadelphia by way of Copenhagen. He had dragged out his train schedule guide and tried to tell me I could take later trains that left me 3 minutes (!) between trains to get where I needed to go. With the irregularity of Italian trains, are you kidding? This guy was so insulting, I couldn't believe it. I sprinted back to the train station to catch the train and inform my friend of his insulting comments and she was just aghast. I guess he had some choice words for her when she checked out, too! What a jerk.

I spent two glorious weeks in Italy, chatting with locals, staying in some dives and staying in some nice places and this was the absolute WORST experience I had in the entire country.

Window with local woman, MonterossoWindow with local woman, Monterosso

Lunette, San Giovanni BatistoLunette, San Giovanni Batisto

me with Manarolame with Manarola

Manuel's guesthouseManuel's guesthouse

Best airport access to Cinque Terre

by cdnagent

Hello forum,

Can someone tell me what airport that would provide the easiest access to the Cinque Terre area? If you have some suggestions as to the best way to get to and from that area, be it bus or train etc, I would really appreciate the help.

Many thanks
Jim

by mccalpin

"It depends" (have you heard that before? ;-) )

Where are you coming from? Canada directly? From someplace in Europe? From someplace in Italy?

Well, let me answer for Canada...

There are major airports at Genova to the north and Pisa to the south (Genova being somewhat closer). If you are flying to a gateway city like London, I would imagine you could catch connecting flights to either city. Note that the Cinque Terre are on the rail line that runs along the west coast between Pisa and Genova, so it's the same trains, just starting on different ends.

If you are flying direct from Canada, then you may not have many choices other than Milan or Rome. Milan is closer. You would land at Milan Malpensa, take the bus to Milano Centrale (main train station), take a train to Genova, then catch a train along the coast to the Cinque Terre. There may be rare trains that go direct (i.e., not, non-stop, but no change of trains) from Milano Centrale to one of the Cinque Terre, but it certainly won't stop at each of them - in fact, it may go to La Spezia after having skipped the Cinque Terre, at which point you'll have to double back on a local train.

Conversely, you can land in Rome at Fiumicino, take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini (main train station), take an ICPlus to La Spezia, then take a local train to whichever of the towns in the Cinque Terre you want.

Most people would do Milan, because it's marginally closer (timewise), and because it's usually more expensive to fly to Rome, but this depends on you and your situation...

Train schedules at www.trenitalia.com and look for English at the top...

Bill

by cgf

From Toronto to Rome and then train
or from Atlanta to Pisa, direct flight with Delta

Both airport have railway station, Pisa is the airport much closer to cinque terre

by softseattraveler

Rome is a good base for trips to Cinque Terre. Train service from the airport reaches the Rome train Station and from there you can find trains to La Spezia and then Cinque Terre See site below for info

www.softseattravel.com/Cinque-Terre-Train-Rome-to-Cinque-Terre-Via-La-Spezia.html

Comments