Via Roma 109, Monterosso al Mare, Cinque Terre, 19016, Italy

• Gabrielson214's Profile Photo

Hospitality, Perfected

My mother and I stayed here for 1 night on our way to Florence from the French Riviera, and I wish we had been able to stay a month. The hotel is gorgeous, comfortable, clean, and in a beautiful location. The breakfast is yummy and the terrace is the best view of the Mediterranean I've ever seen.
    But, what really struck us were the owners, Matteo and his wife Carla. They went above and beyond their jobs half a dozen times for us, when we had an unfortunate car issue and ended up arriving in Monterosso after midnight. Matteo waited up, met us at the bottom of the hill with his car and helped us to our rooms before we collapsed. In the morning, they did everything they could to make sure we were happy and comfortable- and we were completely pleased. They even argued with an italian taxi driver on the phone for us- AND convinced him to come! If that isn't service, I don't know what is! I recommend this place to everyone I know and plan to return as soon as I can!

Unique Quality: The view is to-die-for, and Monterosso itself is charming. But the people are what really make this place special

• Great host and hostess! Comfortable and clean.

Killer views, fabulous terraces, wonderful homemade pastries with breakfast... I can go on and on. There were three of us traveling, my wife and I and our 25 yr old daughter. We were lucky to get their last room due to a cancellation. Turned out this was the best place we stayed in our two week tour of Italy. The hotel is very clean and comfortable and that is important, but it’s really the owner and staff who put it over the top for us. Matteo and Carla, the owners, were very friendly and even helped direct us to wonder sites to see in Tuscany. We can't wait to go back.

Unique Quality: Awesome breakfast. Great views from the terraces in our room. yes terraces... we had two!

• TANjarin's Profile Photo

Our Hotel - Highly Recommended

Villa Steno is a family run Hotel, located in the heart of Monterosso, with 16 rooms. It is surrounded by lemon groves and olive trees. While staying there, you will enjoy the serenity of its quiet location and the enchanting colors of the Mediterranean landscape with great views from your own private balcony. I highly recommend an upper level room with a sea view, before booking.

Unique Quality: "Hotel Villa Steno has a quiet location in the heart of the old town on a hill overlooking the town and the sea. Every room has a private shower, toilet, hairdryer, telephone, color satellite TV (with CNN), in-room safe and air conditioning. The Hotel has also a tiny parking lot free of charge for guests' use only. The buffet breakfast is served in the lobby or on the lobby's panoramic balcony with a wonderful view ." - www.villasteno.com

• guell's Profile Photo

A nice, clean place in Cinque Terre

The hotel is perfectly situated on the hill overlooking the town. We however ended up with the only room without a view!

As we arrived, the hostess greeted us, and we were given a package containing all the important information regarding the trails, the train schedule and the Cinque Terre area.

Unique Quality: During our stay, the hotel was clean, and it had a computer with Internet connection. The room had a private shower, toilet, hairdryer, telephone with a direct outside line, color Sat. TV and air conditioning. The breakfast, which was included, was better than average. Book as well in advance as possible.

More about Hotel Villa Steno

Nice Hotel

This hotel is a fine choice for Monterosso. The location is great - although you do need to climb about 40 steps or walk up a fairly steep drive to reach it. The views are great, hotel is impeccibly clean, and people were nice. The only negative was that the hotel charged for internet usage and beach towels - which could have been included or even added to the room rate. Also, the woman working at the hotel at check in was nice, but not overly friendly or warm - as in other small inns/hotels we stayed at on the trip. With that aside, I do recommend this hotel for your stay in Monterosso.

Great hotel in a great location

We spent 4 nights at Villa Steno and loved the hotel. It is immaculate and well maintained. The staff are friendly and very helpful. We had a small room the first night and then moved to a larger room with a view of the gorgeous garden and looking over the town to the sea. It is well worth paying the extra to get a larger room with a view.

The breakfasts were very good.

We had some excellent meals in Monterossa and I have to single our L'Altamarea, which is in Via Roma. We dined there twice.

If you are a first time traveller in Italy don't forget to validate your train tickets on the station platform. We did not know about this and were fined 25 Euros travelling from Pisa to Monterossa. (Despite having queued at information at Florence station to ask about how to get to Monetrossa, neither information nor the ticket office bothered to warn us).

Worth the 20hrs Flying

by TripAdvisor Member Paley

Villa Steno Monterosso.June 2005 Travelling by myself I had prebooked at the Villa Steno for three nights, unfortunately I arrived in the pouring rain, and found my way to the Villa walking, I should have asked as you can get taxis to take you there and as there are a lot of steps it would have been the wiser thing to do. But the minute you get to reception, the welcome is warm and the rooms are immaculate. I had a single which was not big but had everything needed( the bed was comfortable)the breakfast good plus a lovely little balcony facing the village and sea.The internet at the reception was always available for a very small charge just to let family know what a great time you were having. There was a small grocery shop at the foot of the stairs for any small goods or water. The local wines were very good and I purchased a bottle to have drinks on my balcony. Also the bar Il Davio to the right of beach old Monterosso was a relaxing spot to just sit and meet other travellers. This was one of the most picturesque and relaxed places I have ever visited.

Wonderful hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member susieq1129

My friend and I stayed for two nights in this hotel. When we made the reservation, we asked for a room with a view but they only had a single left and asked if we still wanted it and they would add another bed. So when we arrived we found a tiny room but the view was worth it! We didn't hardly spend anytime in the room so the size was not a problem. It was nice of them to make the accomodation.

The staff was incredibly nice, friendly and gracious. They helped us hire a driver to take us to a nearby town so we could find the graves of my friend's relatives.

From the train station you must take a taxi to the hotel. While it is not a long walk, it is up a huge hill or many steps so we were happy we took the 7 euro taxi ride with our luggage. At other times, the steps are fine, even after hiking all day.

Breakfasts were very nice with a great selection of fresh meats and cheeses, breads.

The hotel is immaculate - you could even smell the bleach.

I highly recommend this hotel!!

The 'Real Italy' Hospitable, charming, breathtaking surroundings

We cannot say too many positives for Matteo and Carla's efficiently run heaven! The rooms are immaculate and very simple. The surroundings are to die for!! Put them together and you have just what you are probably looking for in Cinque Terre - inner peace - tranquility (at least when we were there) a spiritual awareness, and some of the best scenery (do take some hikes) to be found anywhere. Matteo greeted us outside, even though it was a full hotel, and gave us a hearty welcome -- and in some ways, he went well beyond the call of duty to assure us that we were welcome and that we would be comfortable after a long day of traveling. We were!! Matteo has good suggestions for restaurants in Cinque Terre and even for Porto Venere. We stayed in the main hotel and we would definitely stay there again and again. We liked the fact that it was a little bit away from the beach hustle and bustle -- a few minutes (less than 5) and a small hike well worth the views and the quietude. We have wonderful memories of the Cinque Terre and of our stay at Villa Steno.

Reston, VA

A Gem!

Fabulous! I cannot say enough! We traveled to Italy on our honeymoon and had booked two nights at Hotel Villa Steno. The hotel was so wonderful that we changed our plans and extended our stay for the remainder of our honeymoon. The rooms were so nice and clean. We especially enjoyed staying in a room that was separate from the main building. We had our own patio with a beautiful view. The hotel is situated up a hill that is very private, quiet and safe. Matteo was so friendly and helpful. He was always available to help us with information or answer questions. Monterosso and all of the Cinque Terre is an amazing, beautiful place. Staying at the Hotel Villa Steno made our honeymoon so special and truly unforgettable.

Wish We had Stayed Longer

by TripAdvisor Member firsttimer

We stayed at Villa Steno for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with suggestions for dinner and any other questions we had about the area. The room was clean and spacious with a great view from the balcony. The grounds that you walk through to get to the town and the waterfront display their own fruit orchard and garden. Breakfast was the best of the 5 hotels we visited. Our only regret was that we did not plan to stay longer. The scenery on the hiking trails is magnificent. The option of a train or boat ride back at the end of the day is great. Our best meal of our 11 day Italy tour was at Miky's in Monterosso's new town. The people there were attentive and truly interested in having their customers enjoy their meals. Even though it was their last night of the season, they did not rush us.
Parking is available if necessary, but we would take the train there the next time we visit. Pack lightly or take a cab from the train station since there are many steps to climb to get to this beautiful vista on the hillside.

Comments