La Casa Dei Limoni Monterosso al mare

Via Soviore, 6, Localita Balanello, Monterosso al Mare, Cinque Terre, 19016, Italy
Booking.com

More about Monterosso al Mare

Terracotta wall plaqueTerracotta wall plaque

Decorative skeleton, Oratorio Mortis et OrationisDecorative skeleton, Oratorio Mortis et Orationis

Espresso con gelatoEspresso con gelato

our B&Bour B&B

by bettyo70

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to hammer out our travel plans in Liguria and wanted to know if there is ferry service or water taxis going from Monterosso to Levanto. This would be at night in mid-September.

Any help is appreciated. THANK YOU / GRAZIE!

Re: Is there ferry service or water taxi between MONTEROSSO & LEVANTO (mid-September evening)??!

by delcity

you can check (www.idos.cz ) they use to have info. but they have changed their page set up. not sure if they still have ferry info.
the first page will not be in english . look up about a quater page from the bottom right for a place to change to english.

by bettyo70

Thanks, delcity!!

Travel Tips for Monterosso al Mare

The Cinque Terre Card

by lamentforicarus

The Cinque Terre Card provides a convenient way to travel between villages. Available at train stations, the card covers all train, trail, and bus fees for a one day (€5.20), three day (€12.40), or seven day (€19.60) period. The card is a great value if you plan to hike between three or more villages and use the trains. Buses run twice every hour between the villages. If traveling by train, be sure to validate your card in a yellow punch box before boarding.

Ask bar owner to use bathroom or get scolded

by crazytourists

In Vernazza there is only 1 public restroom i could find - it was at the train station and was dirty and there was a line of people waiting to use it. So, I went looking for a bathroom and found one at the pirate bar up the hill. I saw the WC sign and made a run for it....on my way I heard 'eh, eh, eh'...and was called back to the front before I could use it.

There I received an uncomfortable cultural 'lesson' in front of a room full of patrons. I was asked why I didn't even say 'buon giorno' to the owner (who had been busy with a customer) or ask to use the bathroom when I walked in. I was told that most Americans are very friendly and polite but I was not.

Apparently, I am the biggest jerk of an American tourist that ever existed.

I replied 'Mi dispiace' (I'm sorry) and used the restroom - which was very clean. When I left I told the owner I was sorry but was unfamiliar with the local custom, that In America it is customary to use the bathroom without asking. He told me Europeans don't ask to use the restroom (implied they are rude like this) but Americans are usually very courteous.

I believe Americans are usually polite because they only know a few words of Italian and are desperately trying to get by with the language difficulties....not to say Americans aren't polite normally...just saying we aren't as confident as most Europeans when traveling. Most Europeans speak several languages and most Americans only speak English

This was not a good experience at all. Not that I am overly sensitive but this was rather abrupt cultural awakening for me. Bathrooms in the US are always available, most of the time moderately clean, and almost always free.

I would rather the proprietor post a sign of 5 euro for bathroom than do as he did. I would rather pay to use the restroom than have to wait in line to ask or get scolded for not asking.

Lesson learned - unless you want to be embarrassed in front of many people, you should probably buy something, then beg to use the bathroom in Italian, and hope it ends well for you.

I am 1/2 Italian and have been to Italy before. Unlike America, most shops are run by the owner who is the gate keeper for the restroom and public accommodations are not always available.

I understand the owner not wanting to support every tourists bathroom needs. His bathroo could get disgustingly dirty if it was the only 'free' bathroom in town.

However, he should not have a sign posted for the bathroom if he wants to limit access to those who ask him for the bathroom location.

Also, having a bathroom available should be considered a cost of doing business. Yes, some tourists will only use your bathroom and not purchase anything. Others will buy something. If the town supported more public restrooms, the vendors would likely have to pay more taxes to support this.

Anyways, I just wanted to save everyone the same, uncomfortable situation as me. From what I understand this is an Italian custom and I am not berating the pirate bar specifically. However, it seems excessive for any proprietor to treat a potential customer badly and I noticed patrons with uncomfortable looks on their faces as I was being schooled. Just my two cents.

Paragliders in Cinque terre

by globetrott

I saw a paraglider landing in Monterosso al Mare.

Up in the hills there are large parkinglots at some places, maybe thats the place to start these flights.

It landed softly near the large parkinglot on the beach .

Cinema Giardino - an old Open-Air-Cinema

by globetrott

Cinema Giardino is a place I found at the very end of the beach-promenade, just opposite of the large parking.

I am not sure if it is still working, as it looks a bit worn out, but inside there are staples of chairs and a screen...

...So why not hope for a great cinema-evening like seen in many old italian movies, sitting in a garden in the fresh air and seeing a movie...

Church of St. John the Baptist

by toonsarah

One of the first sights you will see on entering the old part of Monterosso is the campanile of the church of St. John the Baptist or San Giovanni Batisto. This tower is in fact a guard tower as well as a campanile, part of the defence system of Genoa. Like the church itself it dates from the 14th century.

Walk round to the front of the church and you will be struck by its dramatic facade of horizontal black and white stripes (the black is really green serpentine but appears black to all intents and purposes). Above the door is a painting of John the Baptist baptising Jesus in the River Jordan (rather weathered as you can see in my photo - number 3) and above this a beautiful rose window with twisted stone spokes, very typical of this region.

Inside the church is laid out like a basilica, with three naves. Later Baroque altars were removed in the 1960s and the church restored to its original 14th century appearance. The black and white stripes of the facade are echoed on the pillars and arches. The central nave has a 17th century vaulted ceiling but those of the side aisles have been restored to their 14th century appearance. The altar dates from around 1740 and its ornate Baroque style seems somewhat out of keeping with the more stark design of the church itself. Near the door (left-hand side as you enter) is a large stone font dating from 1360.

Comments