Via de Batte 67f, Riomaggiore, 19017, Italy
Hotels.com Venere.com Expedia.com

More about Riomaggiore

Bus from Corniglia Train Station to TownBus from Corniglia Train Station to Town

view from aboveview from above

train stationtrain station

RiomaggioreRiomaggiore

Traveling between towns at night.

by Milby

Hi all,

I'm staying in Corniglia this summer. I read it is the sleepy town in the Cinque Terre, so I will probably want to stay out kinda late in other towns. Is is possible to take the train late at night or early in the morning?

by craic

hi - check out the trains on the trenitalia site - i was using that train a few years back and i seem to remember the last train is just before midnight - and the first one at about 5 am

however a thing to remember is that it is a very very steep climb up from the station to Corniglia - there was a bus when we were there but it was a bit random and wasn't going by the schedule - i wouldn't imagine it went very late at night

by sirgaw

>it is a very very steep climb up from the station to Corniglia

I'll vouch for that climb - it's called "The Ladder" because that's just what its like. Not sure how many steps, but I'd hate to try it after being out at night. Although the town is beautiful, you may like to consider staying in one of the other towns with plenty of nightlife - maybe choose Monterossa or Riomaggiore.

by milliturtle

Hi, I was there last spring and got some bus and train schedules. The 3 schedules are uploaded them to the following link.

They are almost 1 year old, so the train times probably changed a bit, but it should still give you a good idea of what to expect. Plus the trains and buses are not very on time to begin with.

The thing with staying in Corniglia is that not all the trains passing through CT stop there. We accidentally took the opposite train from Vernazza and were worried we would be stuck in Corniglia for an hour till the next train (we just spent the past 1.5 hours hiking from there to Vernazza). Luckily (?) the "earlier" train was 15 minutes late, so we still managed to run to the other track to catch it.

by sirgaw

I have a photo of "the ladder" on a travelogue - Manarola and the Cinque Terra - photo page - and that is at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/9757d/#TL If you scroll down to the 2nd last photo and then click on it, the photo will be easier to see that "ladder." We got stuck at Corniglia rail station for over an hour because I'd misread the timetable - the station cafe owner was quite happy we were stuck - LOL

by leics

Here is the official Italian train website in English:

Summer dates won't be uploaded yet, but times and fares won't change much, if at all.

As an example, the last train to Riomaggiore from La Spezia on a weekday is at 2310.

The railway line is used by many trains (it's not just a little branch line) so you shouldn't have too much difficulty in getting back at night. Buses will not run so late.

by leics

Why I quoted Riomaggiore I have absolutely no idea! apologies.

Last train from La Sp to Corniglia is also 2310

Good luck with the steps. I doubt the bus will be around for that train (though a local taxi might chance its luck, I suppose)! :-)

Travel Tips for Riomaggiore

What is Italian breakfast?

by ruki

When you stayed in Italian Hotel you will get usually some slice of bread and croissant, butter jam and coffee. Orange juice and cappuccino if you are lucky. This is typical breakfast. If you are used to eat more, best way is to book a room without breakfast and head down to the nearest cafe where there is a better choice.

squeezed...

by call_me_rhia

This is how I would describe Riomaggiore... squeezed.. squeezed in a triangle of land: two mountains on the top and sides, the sea at the front. It's a really tiny charming place... sadly, but understandable, overrun by tourists. The fact that it's traffic-free... I found it very people friendly. Another fond memory is the people we met: lovely people that always had a kind word and were ready to share a laugh with us.

Heading off to walk the trails

by sue_stone

If you are heading off on a hike from Riomaggiore towards Manarola and beyond, you will start you walk from the train station.

There is a convenient cafe/bar/shop just opposite the station where you can buy cool drinks, snacks, or top up your caffeine levels before you head off.

Be prepared!

Pesto sauce

by ruki

It is typical sauce for Cinque terre and Liguria.
Ingredients are:
basil (2 bunches)
Pine nuts, (a handful)
Garlic (1 clove)
Salt (1 teaspoon)
Parmesan cheese (50gr)
Extra virgin olive oil, (3 tablespoon)
Butter (a teaspoon)

Mix well basil with crush pine nuts, garlic and salt in a mortar. Then add the oil until you have the density you prefer. Lastly add Parmesan and mix well.
Before seasoning the pasta, put a little butter on the plate followed by the Pesto sauce and let it warm on the pot where you are boiling the pasta.

the moving flowers

by call_me_rhia

As soon as I arrived I noticed the sign: don't sit on the flowers. Fair enough, I thought - but something about those flowers looked strange. Then it dawned on me: these flower pots, they move... honestly, I was not drunk. Then it made sense: don't sit on the flowers - but not because you could ruin them... it's because they can cause a small accidents. When a town's vehicle has to drive down the road - for instance to collect the rubbish - those flowers slide to the side and make way to the vehicle.. only to return to their original place once the vehicle has moved on. Genial!

Comments