Mar Mar

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 4 reviews

Tags

Budget Travel
basstbn's Profile Photo

Room Rental "Where It's Happenin'"

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 1, 2011

In order to stay right in Riomaggiore, we selected lodging found through one of the private room rental agencies, in this case Mar Mar Rooms, managed by a couple of American expats.

What we got was a large, well-let room above the Ristorante La Lampara and the main street of town, with a balcony overlooking a tiny piazza where families gathered in the afternoons while the children and grandchildren played. Technically speaking, we could report that our room had a "sea view," even though that was narrow - between a couple of buildings near the harbor.

Our concern about street noise making sleep difficult was completely unfounded, as there wasn't much going on at night - at least in this part of town. The one exception was early one morning when the restaurant downstairs must have emptied a week's worth of wine bottles into a recycling truck. That makes a LOT of noise!

To get to our room, we did have to navigate a very narrow, winding stair case - not too much of a problem with our small and lightweight baggage, but I can see that being a major issue for those folks who insist on traveling with large, heavy bags.

Breakfast is not included when renting rooms in this manner, but the accommodations included a small refrigerator so we were able to keep juice, fruit, and pane purchased from nearby shops, then go out for our cappuccino.

Directions: The address above is for the office which is located next to the Ristorante Lampara on the main street of town (short, uphill walk from the train station)

Laurel914's Profile Photo

A nice place to stay, but also affordable!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 28, 2008

Overall, I thought this place was rather nice. I reserved the room through their website for 20 euros per night. It was listed it as a 4 or 9 person room in my guidebook but I was in a room with only two beds. The main picture is the view from the window in our room. The second picture is of the actual room. The room was one of two rooms in a house with a kitchen and a bathroom. Overall, it was a great place for the price and I would definitely stay there again without hesitation.

SJTravel's Profile Photo

Great Location, Great Deal

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 1, 2007

Mar Mar Rooms offers different kinds of accomodations, I stayed in one of the dorm/hostel accomodations. I would definitely recommend this place to others and I have. Some of the rooms come with a kitchen, mine did. I recommend asking for a place with a kitchen because there are a bunch of little stores in Riomaggiore. Although it is a small village, there are options in markets. The room I stayed in had a total of 7 people in the entire flat. 5 in one room and 2 in a very small other room. I stayed in the bigger 5 person room. The 7 people share one bathroom, a common area, and a kitchen. It is a really big place and I felt so at home there. There are restaurants around the hostel if you don't feel like cooking as well. The beach, the start of the 9km hike, and the train station are a short walk from the hostel as well. I definitely recommend this place.

Unique Quality: I loved the location, especially the day that I did the 9km hike. I started in Riomaggiore, which I recommend, and the trail was not that far from the hostel. Also, if I had decided to start in Monterosso al Mare, I could have taken the train there, which was also pretty close to the hostel. The thing I liked about Mar Mar is that they are really friendly at the office. They give a ton of advice, you can borrow a guide book, or swap a book through their book exchange. Also, the day I arrived, I got the last bed in Riomaggiore. I was fortunate enough to have made a reservation online. There is another hostel in Riomaggiore that is a bit cheaper, but you cannot make a reservation and it isn't as nice as Mar Mar. I recommend Mar Mar and making a reservation. Since I made a reservation and made specific requests, all female and kitchen, they tried their hardest to fulfill those requests. They said it would be easier to put me in a room with a kitchen than it would be for the single sex. I had a single sex room, but mixed flat, which I liked. I loved the kitchen, it was great.

Directions: They have several different locations in Riomaggiore. Location is dependent on the type of accomodation you request.

davequ's Profile Photo

Listing for most of Riomaggiore's Flats and B&Bs

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 27, 2004

If Hotel Argentina is not your style, here is a link to a page that lists another hotel, Affittacamere Mar Mar, as well as other Bed&Breakfasts, and Residence/Flats in Riomaggiore.

Lots of choices to try.

Accomodations in Riomaggiore

Nearby Mar Mar

Mar Mar

• Mar Mar Hotel Riomaggiore

Address: Via Malborghetto, 8, Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre, Italy

4 Photos of Mar Mar

Riomaggiore Travel Forum

Need advice about Riomaggiore, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Riomaggiore and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Riomaggiore hotel reviews

St John the Baptist Church
For Your Picnic...
Cozy Atmosphere, Good Food and Service
Restaurants
Fresh Seafood? Check this out...
Walk the Via dell' Amore
Hang About at the Harbor
Enoteca dau Cila - wine bar near the harbour
By train
Intercity Trains
Take a Hike
Train between the Cinque Terre Villages
Transportation
Train is the best way to get there
Transportation
A bit of a disappointment
Spaghetti al Cartoccio -putting on the foil
The Beach !???
Hike the Via dell'Amore to Manarola
You have to see Vernazza
Things to Do
Cinque Terre Card (Train)
Hike the Sentiero Azzurro