Via Malborghetto, 8, Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre, Italy

Hotels.com Venere.com Tingo.com

• basstbn's Profile Photo

Room Rental "Where It's Happenin'"

In order to stay right in Riomaggiore, we selected lodging found through one of the private room rental agencies, in this case Mar Mar Rooms, managed by a couple of American expats.

What we got was a large, well-let room above the Ristorante La Lampara and the main street of town, with a balcony overlooking a tiny piazza where families gathered in the afternoons while the children and grandchildren played. Technically speaking, we could report that our room had a "sea view," even though that was narrow - between a couple of buildings near the harbor.

Our concern about street noise making sleep difficult was completely unfounded, as there wasn't much going on at night - at least in this part of town. The one exception was early one morning when the restaurant downstairs must have emptied a week's worth of wine bottles into a recycling truck. That makes a LOT of noise!

To get to our room, we did have to navigate a very narrow, winding stair case - not too much of a problem with our small and lightweight baggage, but I can see that being a major issue for those folks who insist on traveling with large, heavy bags.

Breakfast is not included when renting rooms in this manner, but the accommodations included a small refrigerator so we were able to keep juice, fruit, and pane purchased from nearby shops, then go out for our cappuccino.

Directions: The address above is for the office which is located next to the Ristorante Lampara on the main street of town (short, uphill walk from the train station)

• Laurel914's Profile Photo

A nice place to stay, but also affordable!

Overall, I thought this place was rather nice. I reserved the room through their website for 20 euros per night. It was listed it as a 4 or 9 person room in my guidebook but I was in a room with only two beds. The main picture is the view from the window in our room. The second picture is of the actual room. The room was one of two rooms in a house with a kitchen and a bathroom. Overall, it was a great place for the price and I would definitely stay there again without hesitation.

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

Great Location, Great Deal

Mar Mar Rooms offers different kinds of accomodations, I stayed in one of the dorm/hostel accomodations. I would definitely recommend this place to others and I have. Some of the rooms come with a kitchen, mine did. I recommend asking for a place with a kitchen because there are a bunch of little stores in Riomaggiore. Although it is a small village, there are options in markets. The room I stayed in had a total of 7 people in the entire flat. 5 in one room and 2 in a very small other room. I stayed in the bigger 5 person room. The 7 people share one bathroom, a common area, and a kitchen. It is a really big place and I felt so at home there. There are restaurants around the hostel if you don't feel like cooking as well. The beach, the start of the 9km hike, and the train station are a short walk from the hostel as well. I definitely recommend this place.

Unique Quality: I loved the location, especially the day that I did the 9km hike. I started in Riomaggiore, which I recommend, and the trail was not that far from the hostel. Also, if I had decided to start in Monterosso al Mare, I could have taken the train there, which was also pretty close to the hostel. The thing I liked about Mar Mar is that they are really friendly at the office. They give a ton of advice, you can borrow a guide book, or swap a book through their book exchange. Also, the day I arrived, I got the last bed in Riomaggiore. I was fortunate enough to have made a reservation online. There is another hostel in Riomaggiore that is a bit cheaper, but you cannot make a reservation and it isn't as nice as Mar Mar. I recommend Mar Mar and making a reservation. Since I made a reservation and made specific requests, all female and kitchen, they tried their hardest to fulfill those requests. They said it would be easier to put me in a room with a kitchen than it would be for the single sex. I had a single sex room, but mixed flat, which I liked. I loved the kitchen, it was great.

Directions: They have several different locations in Riomaggiore. Location is dependent on the type of accomodation you request.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Listing for most of Riomaggiore's Flats and B&Bs

If Hotel Argentina is not your style, here is a link to a page that lists another hotel, Affittacamere Mar Mar, as well as other Bed&Breakfasts, and Residence/Flats in Riomaggiore.

Lots of choices to try.

Accomodations in Riomaggiore

More about Mar Mar

Mar Mar Kayak Rental

by cpiers47

We rented kayaks (approx. 5 euros per hour for one person) and headed along the coast. Although the trip was a dramatic one (see Riomaggiore travelogue), the views and experience were amazing. It was a beautiful day and the kayaks were well-outfitted for the conditions.

When needed, the owners were willing to "rescue" us (again, see Riomaggiore travelogue) in a boat and even capped off the day with a shot of limoncello. Because of the service - and the amazing opportunity to kayak the sea - I would highly recommend this as part of an trip to Riomaggiore.

Advice: If you haven't kayaked before, wait for a very calm day. This kayaking was not difficult, neither was it simple with a bit of wind and the tide's changes. We kayaked in swimsuits and sandals. Both are available in the surf shops in Riomaggiore if need be. The rental agency can provide dry bags for the kayaks.

Cinque Terre: Mar Mar rooms?

by JuliaSh

Hello everyone, i was wonderin if anybody stayed at Mar Mar rooms in Riomagiorre? I've been offered rooms Tony4 and Arancio. Also is it really hot there in August? possible to survieve without a/c?
Julia