Chiesa Russa Ortodossa
Completed in 1913, this impressive Russian Orthodox church is dedicated to the Saviour and Saint Catherine. It was modelled after Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, complete with polychrome onion domes. It was built during the time when the Russian bourgeoisie flocked to Sanremo to escape harsh winters in their homeland. Sanremo was promoted to the Russians by tsarina Maria Alexandrovna who had spent a winter in this sleepy resort in 1874.