Sabini Rentals

Santa MargheritaSanta Margherita

On the ferry to PortofinoOn the ferry to Portofino

Travel from Genova Airport

by Chrissie123

Please can someone tell me if it is possible to travel by bus from the airport at Genova to Santa Margherita Ligure? Is it possible to see any bus timetables for 2008?
Also, do you know how much a taxi from the airport would cost?
Thank you very much.

by nicolaitan

Welcome to VT - have been to SML several times. I think that if you are not renting a car, the train is the fastest and easiest way to get there directly to the center of SML.

by mccalpin

I don't know how much the taxi would be, but since SML is 42 kilometers (25 miles), it won't be cheap...and you might be charged double (for the ride back that the driver will have to make since he probably won't get a fare in SML).

Lew is surely correct that the train is simpler than a direct bus, if there even is one (I haven't looked). You will want to take a bus from the airport to Principe train station, then take one of a zillion trains running along this line.

See http://www.airport.genova.it/pagine/mezzipubblici.asp for the airport website's info on taking the bus to the train station, and see www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html for train schedules...although I would expect that there are a number of regional trains that run along this line, so that you could just show up, buy a ticket, validate it, and hop on the next train...

Bill

by aprica71

Take a taxi to the railway station (stazione Principe) and then catch a train: there is a train evry 30 minutes and it's very fast and much much cheaper..
If you want to see some pics of Santa Margherita here is a site http://santa-margherita-ligure.myblog.it/

by Chrissie123

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I think a taxi to Genova and then a train is the answer for me. I visited SML last year (but a friend ferried me to and from the airport) and absolutely loved it.

Travel Tips for Santa Margherita Ligure

Summer in Santa Margherita Ligure

by NoDramas

"Blue, clear glittering waters.."

Have spent the Summer here with my family. Plenty of fresh food from the Friday Markets, the most delicious foccacia I've ever tasted, and magical days filled with swimming in the clearest water (Look for the free beaches if you plan to swim more than sunbake). It's working out to be a great place to base oursleves to see the North of Italy.

I was there once... lovely place

by alza

"my mind is still there"

it's all mixed up in my head... years before I ever even saw Santa Margherita, I was in Genoa... at the port, eating small fry fish in spaguetti, laughing and trying to speak Genoese with the people on the docks... it sounded so much like French, but so strange too... a singing complaint, sort of.
So this time, when I got to Genoa, it was dull and grey and raining, I got on the first train to anywhere... it was Santa Margherita... ahhh, heaven! palm trees, foccacia, people who noticed me and took care of me... thank you cobbler! :-)

My hotel was the best, except their coffee was horrendous. I was so happy there and around for days that I never explored Genoa... it's haunting me now...

"Lo sai: debbo riperderti e non posso.
Come un tiro aggiustato mi sommuove ogni opera, ogni grido e anche lo spiro
salino che straripa
dai moli e fa l'oscura primavera
di Sottoripa." (Eugenio Montale)

Comments