Vernazza, Cinque Terre, Italy

More about Camere Giuliano

Giuliano's Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member korbyCanada

From the moment we arrived in Vernazza, Italy we couldn’t close our mouth; the scenery and people are amazing! The best part of arriving in Vernazza is exploring the town and finding out that you are staying at the best accommodations (perhaps in all of the Cinque Terre) and with one of the most interesting hosts I have ever had the opportunity to meet. Giuliano is an amazing individual; he is very helpful for first-timers to the area, has a very animated and charismatic personality and is one hell of a great cook! Not only was the natural scenery beautiful, but all the people we met (both locals and fellow tourists) were equally great! We had friends staying in other towns in the Cinque Terre but everyone said Vernazza was the best town, and Camere Giuliano was highly regarded as being better than any other accommodation they were staying at. Vernazza, is a quick hop, skip and jump to Monterossa, and doesn’t have all the tourist activities nor does it feel like a major tourist destination. No matter whether you stay with Giuliano or not, everyone visiting Vernazza should experience his cuisine at his local Pizzaria down by the harbor! Fresh pasta, fresh vegetables and always fresh conversations!

Simply amazing and during our 5 country tour, Vernazza was our favourite destination. Thank you Giuliano! Hopefully we’ll see you soon!

Brent and Heather.

Don't Bother

Well, I am one of those who got left at the station. I was thinking of titling this as 'abandoned' but then I thought I'd cut straight to the chase and advise people not to bother with this person. Not that Vernazza itself is not worth the trip, it is and I cannot disagree with anyone here who has spent the effort to visit this unique and quite wonderful place.
For those of you who think I got it wrong let me remind you: I emailed this man and got confirmation for the three nights I wanted. On arriving in Italy I called him and he repeated that I must call the day before I arrived. I called the day before I arrived and confirmed with him (thats three times) that I would be there and we arranged to meet at the train station at 1.30 pm. I arrived at 1.10 pm having got a lift from L Spezia. Nothing then or at 1.30 or after that. Several calls to his phone were not answered.
It would seem that if you get to stay with this guy by all accounts you will have a nice time. But, let me advise my fellow prospecting travellers, thats a big IF. Save yourself the time and try for somewhere else in Vernazza.

Buyer beware!

All of the hotels we stayed at in Italy during our 2-week honeymoon in July 2004 were fabulous...we are sure this one is too but despite our 6-month advance reservation we never saw it.

Despite confirming our reservation TWICE with Guiliano...once the day before and then again ONE HOUR before our arrival in Vernazza, he not only had the gall to give away our room but did not even have the decency to inform us in person. Instead, his cell phone was "unavailable" when we arrived in Vernazza. A "friendly" woman who works at the Blue Marlin came out of the bar and told us that Guiliano had "erroneously" double booked our room and that she had a room for us instead. The room was not what we wanted, so we found other lodging.

In sum, what was supposed to be a romantic ending to our wonderful Italian honeymoon ended up being more stressful than we would have liked...thanks to Guiliano's disrespectful business tactics.

P.S. Vernazza (and the Cinque Terre region as a whole) is amazingly beautiful...but beware of some of the people.

Guiliano - a wonderful host

We had a wonderful stay at Camere Guiliano - such a pretty spot, away from the busy streets with beautiful sun decks and very clean and charming accommodation.

Guiliano kept to his word - we phoned the day before arrival to confirm times and he met us at the station. As long as you keep him up to date on your movements then you won't have a problem - it's not a hotel, it's a small pensione, so of course it's a different experience. When we missed our train, we phoned him to let him know. When our train was then late, again, we phoned him to keep him informed. You need to do this because of course if he doesn't hear from you then he has no choice but to book out your room - this is his own small business, 3 rooms in total, it's not a hotel. He doesn't ask for a deposit or credit card details, he just wants your word. It's all about common sense really.

I totally recommend you stay with Guiliano, you won't regret it! He's a lovely man who is trying to run a small business, give him a break!!!!

Give Guiliano a Break

I feel compelled to write to this website given some of the negative comments posted about Guiliano's place in Vernazza. My husband and I were there on our honeymoon in August and had the most wonderful time. We had seen the negative postings in July and were very worried that we would arrive without a place to stay despite our numerous email confirmations. But upon arriving at the station, having confirmed our arrival time the day before with Guiliano, we were met and helped with our bags, up to the most lovely rooms with the most breathtaking views imaginable.
We may have just struck lucky, but we spoke to Guiliano about the postings on this website. He was very upset about them and stated that he was thinking of selling up, since people from the US seemed to want the complicated reserve system they find elsewhere in the world.
I agree with another poster, that Vernazza, and Guiliano's is not the place for you if you do not have an adventurous spirit when travelling. But if you do, you will enjoy a most magical place. And if you stay with Guiliano you will enjoy the company of an interesting and decent host, who has worked extremely hard to put together a place of great beauty, which he himself keeps spotless. He told us that the lack of respect some visitors had shown his rooms was enough for him to sell on its own - what a shame if he does. When travelling it is so important to be an ambassador for one's own country and tourists in general. Otherwise, the only choices for travellers will be large corporate hotels with no charm and no personality.
Give Guiliano a break and take him and Vernazza as you find them. If you do you will be richly rewarded with a wonderful holiday.

Would love to reserve, but too risky

In response to the writer from San Francisco, I too would be inclined to "Give Giuliano a Break" if he came through with my reservations! However, it sounds like more than just a few have been left with an unexpected last minute search for accomodations. It is hardly a fun "adventure" if one has to use up valuable vacation time searching for a room (with luggage in tow) and having to settle for an out-of-the way room with no view.

The rooms at Camere Giuliano sound wonderful, but I think he should honor his reservations 100%.

Pane vino dolce in Vernazza

My wife and I spent the first three nights of our honeymoon in mid August with Giuliano. It was absolutely perfect. Giuliano's place is spotless, comfortable and has an incredible view of Vernazza. Plus, its about 100 yards from the Corniglia trailhead and a small trattoria. Finally, its about a five minute walk down to town which makes you feel close to the action without being in the middle of it.

We e-mailed Giuliano several times before we left for Italy and called the day before our Vernazza arrival. Giuliano met us at the train station and helped us w/our bags. He even found us an electrical plug adapter so we could charge our digital camera (a little tough to find in the Cinque Terre).

I agree w/the other favorable reviewers, if you want a hotel, and all its amenities, this isn't the place for you. However, if you want to meet a great guy, experience the local flavor and just plain mellow out you can't ask for a much better place - anywhere. We will certainly go back. Chad and Amy.

Reservation problems too

by TripAdvisor Member phayman

I emailed Guiliano a week before to make the reservation enquiry and he emailed the next day with a response confirming availability. However I had to call him after 6pm the day before our arrival. Well I tried about five times and could not get through to either phone number. I'm not sure if this was just a technical problem or if he was out of 'mobile range'.

In the end we rented a different room upon arrival.

He seems like a nice person and has received many good reviews. Maybe I would use his service again in the future but not during summer high season.

Loved Camere Giuliano

by TripAdvisor Member Ellynjd

After reading the reviews about Giuliano I admit I had some trepidation about taking a chance reserving a room with him, but the glowing reports were so positive that I felt it was worth the risk. I am so glad that I did! Unlike most hotels, Giuliano doesn't reserve rooms by holding a credit card, he holds the room and requests that you call the day before you arrive to reconfirm. We followed his instructions and even though our train was delayed (and I notified him of this) he was there at the train station waiting for us. While I heard that Vernazza was hilly, I had no idea that his hotel is pretty much at the highest point in Vernazza. I highly recommend that you pack lightly if possible. There is no need for anything but comfortable clothing in the C.T. Unfortunately I'd been to a wedding and continuing on to Paris, and had a fairly heavy suitcase. Thankfully Giuliano carried this monster all the way up the hill (and back down when we left!) Our room was very nice, the furnishings simple but lovely, the bathroom, small by American standards, but modern and clean and by Vernazza's standards, I'm sure we had one of the most modern, up to date accommodations in town! The terrace offered a wonderful view of Vernazza and the Mediterranean. If you're a demanding type of traveller expecting to be catered to, this is not the type of vacation for you, but if you are a thoughtful, considerate traveller who appreciates the subtle and not so subtle differences between cultures, you will thoroughly enjoy the natural beauty and ambiance of the C.T. and Camere Giuliano.

Comments