Vernazza Hotels

Our Members Say

• lamentforicarus profile photo lamentforicarus
  • Reviews: 195

Affita Camere: Vernazza's Private Rooms

As tiny Vernazza is a hotspot for tourism in the summer months, hotel availability is often limited. I encountered this problem when when attempting to reserve a room one month in advance, finding that the few hotels in Vernazza basically require you to book months ahead of your stay. As an alternative, private rooms (called affita camere) are widely available and do not require advanced booking. Departing the train platform at the top of town, advertisements are scattered here and there offering private rooms at an affordable cost (most are €40 - 60 for a double occupancy, cheaper than the price of a hotel room). Walk into local businesses and ask owners if they are renting. Most of the time, these private rooms are immaculately clean, well designed, and come with a fantastic view. Many even come with private facilities and a small kitchen. My room was rented from the owners of Vernazza's only pizza joint (located across the street) who were pleasant and accommodating. They simply tossed my the key and asked me to return for payment at the end of my stay.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written July 27, 2004
Tip Photo

• guell profile photo guell
  • Reviews: 295

Reserve your room ASAP

Vernazza has many different types of accommodations, but since Vernazza is the most popular destination in the Cinque Terre, the rooms tend to fill up quickly. If you really want to stay in this town, reserve a room as soon as you can.

If you’re too late, try looking in Monterroso al Mare. This is the largest of the five towns and some say the “least charming.” I happen to like it. It has a beach and it makes for a great destination at the end of the five-town-hike.

Remember that an inter-city train connects all of the five towns. It only takes a few minutes to go from one town to the next.

For more information on accommodations in Monterroso al Mare, see my Monterroso al Mare page.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written February 19, 2003

Our hotel in Monterosso al Mare

• Summer33 profile photo Summer33
  • Reviews: 115

Hotel on the cliff

I can't remember the name of the hotel I stayed at as it was several years ago but i do have this picture of the stairs up to the hotel I will research and fill in the blank here later. Everything is built on the cliff so just be prepared for stairs like this. It took about 10-15min going up stairs to get to our hotel room. Amazing!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel
  • Written May 23, 2004

stairs

• Barbie&Dave profile photo Barbie&Dave
  • Reviews: 4

Mike and Franca: Vernazza's litte gem

Our stay at Mike and Franca's room with garden in Vernazza was really special. After climbing up through the back streets of vernazza we found our room, amoungst the tiny houses perched on the cliffs of the village. If you are after hotel accomodation, this it wasn't, but it ozzed Italian homestyle charm. A small room with a double bed, small 2 person table and chairs and a sink and a bathroom, done up in an eccletic mix of furnishings. Just outside the front door is another door leading to the private garden; an area of about 3 square meters with sunlongers and a table and chairs perched on the cliff edge with magnificent views out over the ocean. While not airconditioned there were ample windows. And it is only 2min walk (downhill) to the centre of the town and harbour.

Private garden, perfect for wine at sun set.
The room is located on the main walking track through the 5 villages - Rossa 1.
Small kitchenette and refrigerator.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking
  • Written July 30, 2006

the room

• cehansen profile photo cehansen
  • Reviews: 23

Martina's Rooms: A tast of Village life

Martina hires out private rooms - basic and functional, bed and bathroom only. No cooking facilities - I can't remember if it had a fridge.
We chose these rooms because she had a family room, with double bed and two singles, and a small partition between us.
They are clean and comfortable, although our room on the top floor was a steep climb up 3 flights of stairs.
Martina is easy to contact and will answer any questions.
I would definitely stay here again and recommend this accomodation to others.

We had no view from our top floor room, but i think some of her other romms may have a view.

• Related to: Family Travel, Hiking and Walking, Road Trip
  • Written February 11, 2006
Tip Photo

• up&away profile photo up&away
  • Reviews: 3

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mike and Franca's: Vernazzo - Don't be taken in by this place

There was plenty of negative reporting on the Internet about Franca, of Mike and Franca’s, in Vernazzo, Italy (in the Cinque Terra region). There are reports about how she would promise one type of room, in our case one with a private terrace, and try to switch it once you arrive. I thought that I would give her the benefit of the doubt, because she had recently been widowed. Note that under “Contact Us”, on her web site, she does not give an email address. So you will have nothing in writing to prove your telephone discussions with her.

I phoned in February, to reserve the room with the terrace for 3 days in April. A few days before our arrival, I phoned again to confirm. However, when we arrived, she showed us into a room without a terrace. When challenged about our agreement, she said that the people that were given the room with the terrace were staying 8 days. In effect she was admitting to taking the longer booking and switching ours. We left immediately & went to the tourist office and managed to get a lovely apartment that was one of the finest accommodations of our trip. So all’s well that ends well, but it was an inconvenience to us. So I add my voice to the warnings against Franca, who should certainly not be to allowed to get away with these type of false promises.

We didn't stay here as she would not give us the room with terrace she had promised.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 19, 2007

• giuseppinavilla profile photo giuseppinavilla

Mrs. Villa's apartment: Vernazza rooms for rent

Mrs. Villa is a very kind woman who has a beautiful apartment in Vernazza that sleeps 4-5 people. The apartment is far enough from the train station that you don't hear the trains and just a 4 minute walk (up steep stairs) from the piazza and beach. There are five beds, a small bath and a working kitchen. The apartment was converted from a wine cellar so it is cool and lovely even on the hottest days, but there is no view. You can climb farther up to a lovely balcony that overlooks the sea. I have stayed there many times.

Clean, comfortable, working kitchen. A few steps from the beach. The ocean around the Cinque Terre has been classified a state park and fishing is no longer permitted. All the land around the towns is also now a national park: Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written November 16, 2006

• gabasto profile photo gabasto
  • Reviews: 15

Hotel Gianfrazzi: A good room with a GREAT view

This hotel is a great little place that doesn't fit the tradtional idea of a hotel. Rather it is seperated into a couple of buildings that rise some 300 feet to give you spectacular views.
It is run out of a bar with the same name at the Piazza Marconi (the only Piazza), and the lady will give you 10% off if you pay in cash.

Obviously great views are the selling point of the hotel. The climb up some 200 stairs can get annoying if you forget something, but they give an incredible isolating feeling that is priceless.

• Related to: Trains, Backpacking, Hiking and Walking
  • Written April 30, 2005

View from the room

• jujubeetravel profile photo jujubeetravel
  • Reviews: 4

One of Martina Calla's rooms: Room over downtown Vernazza

We stayed at one of Martina's rooms..... it was great and we would stay there again. The best part of this room was the nice sized terrace with I think the best view over the harbour area. The bed was queen size or double (can't remember) and comfortable... shower was great - hot and good water pressure. It also had a small fridge. The only thing that may be a draw back for some folks is that its up on the 4th floor so its a good workout to get up there.... But to us was so worth it...I'm so glad we booked here we loved, loved the terrace and had a nice picnic out on the picnic table... beautiful yet simple.

Excellent views

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written February 2, 2006

View from Terrace in Vernazza

• Underjules profile photo Underjules
  • Reviews: 8

Stay With a Local

Both times I visited Vernazza ('96 and '98) I was able to rent a room from a local. I don't know if the fact I was traveling with a female friend made us look harmless, but they seemed eager to rent out a bedroom. The cost was cheap then, maybe 15-20 dollars. I don't know if this works anymore, now that it's so popular. We just arrived and walked down the street to the harbor with our backpacks, and asked the local women if they had a room to spare. They always did, or knew someone who did.

Cheaper and definitely full of culture. Nothing like bunking with a local...

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written November 13, 2003

• Taosmax profile photo Taosmax
  • Reviews: 3

Soviore: Monastery Living!

The monastery is 7km from Monterroso Del Mare, and is accessible by the Cinque Terra bus. Buy yourself a Cinque Terra card...it'll save you money and time. The monastery is nothing short of fantastic! The rooms are old-world, and yet quite clean and well appointed, and with a fantastic view of the ocean and the towns below. Now the best part...the three course dinner every evening!
Oh my! Pesto lasagna, mixed seafood soup, veal, and pasta, pasta, pasta! Plus, breakfast is included every morning, and is quite good! So very wonderful! Highly recommended!!

Did I mention the food?

• Related to: Food and Dining, Family Travel, Study Abroad
  • Written November 11, 2005

View from our window

• Melissabrent profile photo Melissabrent

Cinque Terre Vacations: Cinque Terre apartments

We used this website to book our stay in Cinque Terre. We stayed in Monterosso in an apartment owned by a local family. We were greeted like one of the family! The apartment was clean and bright and had two terraces over looking the village. We took Cooking Lessons which we also booked through this site and they were the highlight of our holiday. We had the most fantastic day, not only was the food we prepared amazing the location was also amazing up high on the hills over looking the sea. I would most certainly recommend this website if you are looking for a real authentic holiday in Cinque Terre and not just a typical tourist room that you are not really sure where it is.. We found the whole process really tiring and confusing until we found this site. We will certainly go back again this year!

www.cinqueterreitaly.co.uk

The apartments all look very nice and you can ask any questions especially if you have certain requirements like not too many steps or distance to the sea etc

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Wine Tasting, Historical Travel
  • Written March 24, 2012
Tip Photo

• porrpk profile photo porrpk

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

giacomo callo: nice villa in vernazza

up in mountains overlooking vernazza. secluded, romantic, very picturesque, quiet, peaceful, cheap.
private villa with garden, two rooms, open air kitchen, bathroom with shower, super awesome for couple hiking through towns.

15 min walk from vernazza center. overlooks town and ocean. good hot water. friendly and accessable renter. we paid 60 euro per night for whole villa! (late oct 2004)

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Hiking and Walking, Budget Travel
  • Written November 30, 2004

• JimandCarolyn profile photo JimandCarolyn
  • Reviews: 2

Mamma Rinna: Your Italian Grandmother's House

Mamma Rinna approached us as we got off the train, offering us a "camara." We followed her down the street into an alley (actually the hiking trail linking Vernazza to Monterosso). After following Momma up a couple flights of stairs (I thought poor Momma might croak before we got there) she showed us a small room with an ensuite bathroom that we could have for 50 euro per night because we are "students" (she usually lets it for 70, but since we had backpacks, we must have looked poor). The room was very small and so was the bathroom, but it suited us just fine. All we needed was a place to get a good night's sleep and a shower. I enjoyed having a few chats with Momma -- she spoke less english than I spoke Italian, so I got to practice a bit. If you're looking for Holiday Inn, this definitely ain't it, but if you want a simple room to hang your hat in while you enjoy the outdoors in Cinque Terre, this just fine.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Budget Travel
  • Written October 12, 2006

• arnesk profile photo arnesk
  • Reviews: 47

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gianni Hotel: Don't risk a lousy room

This hotel is run by a character called Gianni Franzi, and it is also a restaurant.

I went here, because I got two reliable recomendations. But me and my girlfriend were disappointed. We got a room that probably was the very last, the one they really don't won't anybody to have (and we did come in the middle of the summer, and hadn't booked ahead).

But the room was still expensive, compared to other places in Cinque Terre. And it was like living in a cellar, with just a tiny little window almost up at the roof.

So I am sure you can get a great stay at Giannis, even if we didn't. Just book well ahead, and be sure you get a room with a view.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average