Trattoria Gianni Franzi

Piazza Marconi 5, Vernazza, 19018, Italy

More about Trattoria Gianni Franzi

Don't risk a lousy room

by arnesk about Gianni Hotel

This hotel is run by a character called Gianni Franzi, and it is also a restaurant.

I went here, because I got two reliable recomendations. But me and my girlfriend were disappointed. We got a room that probably was the very last, the one they really don't won't anybody to have (and we did come in the middle of the summer, and hadn't booked ahead).

But the room was still expensive, compared to other places in Cinque Terre. And it was like living in a cellar, with just a tiny little window almost up at the roof.

So I am sure you can get a great stay at Giannis, even if we didn't. Just book well ahead, and be sure you get a room with a view.

Dinner by the Harbour (Breakfast available too!)

by sue_stone about Trattoria Gianni Franzi

Trattoria Gianni Franzi is a busy restaurant located in Piazza Marconi, by the harbour in Vernazza.

It serves a good range of the local Cinque Terre style cuisine - plenty of fish and pasta dishes.

They are also open for breakfast - you can stand insde at the small bar and have excellent coffee and a croissant or similar pastry for a couple of euros per person. We had a relaxing dinner here of seafood pasta, washed down with a bottle of Gianni's special house wine.

A great place to dine and watch the sunset!

Best cappucchino in town

by tini58de about Gianni Franzi

Gianni Franzi has it all: they rent rooms, have a huge restaurant (plus busy tables outside) and the very best cappucchino in town! If you go inside and just have it right there at the bar, it will only cost you € 1,20 and if you like, you can have a croissant along with it! We made it a habit to have a cappucchino every time we passed by - soooooooo delicious!

Casual Restaurant in Vernazza

by sunchasers about Trattoria Gianni Franzi

This place is pretty nice if your idea of fine dinning is a large, cold beer and pizza. They serve other things but we basically only did pizza and beer. It's great for people watching as it's right at the edge of the marina. The waiters are VERY laid back and friendly.

From the website, it seems they also have rooms to rent out. BEER!

Don't Miss This One!!

by connie2003 about Trattoria Gianni Franzi

Besides the enticing outdoor, waterfront location, this restaurant had it all: a warm reception, excellent personal service and mouth-watering dishes. Our waiter was especially attentive and helpful - with suggestions to meet everyone's needs.
The restaurant offers traditional Ligurian cuisine which includes a variety of seafood. There were 8 of us dining, all ordering different meals and every dish we ordered was exceptional - from the anti-pasto to the dessert. Melt-in-your-mouth mussels, savory trofie al pesto and divine catch of the day!

I am truly not a fan of mussels, but these were extraordinary - cooked perfectly in a savory sauce (muscoli ripieni). A Trattoria Gianni specialty and a must-have! Trofie al pesto had enough zesty pesto sauce to make the dish complete, but did not overwhelm the pasta. The grilled fish (pesce alla griglia) was brought to our table whole, but our wonderful waiter expertly removed the head, bones and filleted it for us in under a minute. As was everything else, cooked perfectly to melt in your mouth.

Don't forget to ask for a bottle of local D.O.C. wine!

Careful!! Bait and Switch

I booked for one night in October of last year for two rooms for myself and my husband and my parents. I had stayed at Gianni Franzi the year before and it was very nice.

For 2005 I raved about this hotel to my parents and actually booked it and double checked on our rooms in May/June 2005.

When we got to Gianni Franzi, they had obviously booked a large group and directed us to the most disgusting, mouldy smelling, dirty little rooms way off from their hotel. We were extremely dissapointed not to mention embarrassed to put my parents into a little hovel of a room.

Never again, Gianni Franzi has gotten way too big for their boots to stoop to this underhand behaviour.

Just make sure you get the room you booked in the actual hotel. I wish I had photos to add of the place they put us!

Lots of stairs=great view

by TripAdvisor Member ynicknan

The rooms are small, and yes, there are LOTS of stairs. But it was fine for my husband and I who both had backpacks. The room was clean, cozy, and had a great view of the water and the castle. We loved Gianni Franzi and would recomment it for anyone who is looking for budget accomodations.

a day trip became a great night

We were making a day trip from Lucca to hike the Cinque Terre, but we
(myself, wife and 4 close friends) were so overwhelmed by the beauty of Vernazza
that we wanted to stay the night. We wander into the Gianni Franzi and as luck
would have it(Easter Week no less)they had two rooms. We spent the night;
had a fabulous diner at the ristorante(staff were warm and gracious);
yes the stairs are a climb after much vino but rooms were fine and beds comfortable.
A great memory!! Thanks Gianni Franzi!!

Welcome to Cinqua tourist trap

by TripAdvisor Member kelly001

Cinque Terra is a tourist trap and despite a visit in early January when things are slow, we never felt welcomed in the least in Vernazza. My wife & I, both speak some Italian but everyone in Vernazza immediately switched to English and was very brief if not flat out rude. Pretty much a "give me your money" and leave me alone you dirty tourist feel. Gianni Franzi was no different. We were greeted by an unpleasant young female at the bar, who pointed us in the direction of our room. Despite my attempts at little talk, she ignored me completely. Our room looked nothing like the photos on their website. It was very small (we expect that) and basically had a mattress and nothing else. It was clean and smell free. The charm meter was at -5. We didn't eat at the Trattoria Gianni Franzi because of the hostile & condescending feel they greeted us with early on in the day. Instead, we went to "Sandro's" which was very disappointing and expensive for the quality. Did I mention my wife got sick from their "fresh" fish? I can't imagine this place crowded in the summer...

Lots of stairs, but great place

by TripAdvisor Member cmchaley

My husband and I stayed at Gianni Franzi for two nights in mid-May. I think we counted 77 stairs to get up to the building (#47) from the square. The room was small, but newer and very clean. We had a private bath, which was also spotless. My husband thought the bed was a little hard (he thought all the beds in Italy were hard), but I prefer a firm bed and found it very comfortable after all the hiking. There's not much of a view from the room, but there is a shared garden terrace on the roof overlooking the ocean that is wonderful. We were given a 10% discount off our 80 euro/night rate for paying in cash. We didn't miss having a tv at all, but a clock would have been nice.
I will absolutely stay here again if we return to the Cinque Terre and would recommend it to anyone who can climb the stairs.

We also ate our best meal of the trip at Gianni Franzi. The pesto trofie was amazing.

Trattoria Gianni FranziTrattoria Gianni Franzi

dinner at Trattoria Gianni Franzidinner at Trattoria Gianni Franzi

Trattoria Gianni Franzi house wineTrattoria Gianni Franzi house wine

Place to Stay in CinqueTerra

by CrissyR

I will be traveling ot Cinque Terra in September and was looking for a place to stay. Would anyone have any reccommendations? There are 4 of us traveling together so we would need a quad or 2 double rooms.

Re: Place to Stay in CinqueTerra

by bb.ilgirasole

We'd like offer you "Il Girasole" in the middle fo Italy.
Visit our web-site
www.bbilgirasole.com
Thanks
Cipriani

Re: Place to Stay in CinqueTerra

by gavinc

I just posted a longer reply to Kathy at the Liguria forum. Have a look there.

We haven't stayed there, just spent part of the day and thought it was the best of the Cinque Terre towns.
Accommodation: Gianni Franzi, Casa Giselle, Vernazza

sleeping in Cinque Terre

by udgirl

Has anyone ever stayed at Camere Nicolina's in Vernazza? We need a place to stay that doesn't cost to much.

thanks,
udgirl

Re: sleeping in Cinque Terre

by telim07

I stayed with my wife in Camere Nicolina for one night in May this year. It was an apartment, quite spacious with a separate dining area. Bathroom was a bit cramped, but usable. We had a small balcony with a partial view of the beachfront. Paid 80 Euros - it was near peak season.

Almost all accomodation in Vernazza will require some climbing. Once in Vernazza, you can walk around and ask around for other accomodation.

We stayed a second night at Gianni Franzi's. Room was looking over the back of the hill, and we could see the sea pounding the shores and hear it at night. Very nice - but small room, a bit tight. Paid 85 Euros - it was a last minute arrangement.

It's not which camere you stay with but which room you get that determines whether you have a nice room or not.

Take all the walks - they are lovely.

David Lim

Re: sleeping in Cinque Terre

by udgirl

Thanks David. From what I hear about Cinque Terre it should be great.

arriving June 2 (National holiday) with a car...NEED HELP

by mproksel

Coming from Tuscany and will still have the car as the La Spezia office is closed. Should we drive into Vernazza or park somewhere in La Spezia or Levanto? We don't need to have a car while we are in Cinque Terre for 3 days.

We are staying at Gianni Franzi....is there some overnight parking available? Another thought is to leave the car in Pisa airport (is open) and train into Vernazza and be done with the car. Got any suggestions?

Grazie.
Mari

by craic

your idea of dropping the car off at Pisa airport and taking the train to Vernazza is most efficient - and certainly the cheapest way of doing it

by leics

There is aa parking space otside Vernazza (from which you have to walk). But there is no guarantee you will find a space when you arrive, and I doubt it will be cheap.

Dropping the car at the airport (assuming you hire firm allows this) will save you a chunk of money, and getting to Vernazza by train is easy enough. I'd choose to do that.

will give you train times, details and fares in English. You can get the sloooow (5-minute) train from Pisa Aeroporto to Pisa Centrale, where you have to change, or take a bus or taxi there. You will probably have to change at La Spezia. Changing trains is easy, btw, and ticket machines at P. Centrale have English language options (not sure about those at the airport).

by rjsol

There is a car park in RioMaggiore, do not know the price. You are not allowed with a car into Vernazza, besides there is only one street, no room for driving. Except for the new part of Monterosso, the towns are not for cars.

by rsm71

Leaving the car at Pisa airport is the best option. Choose an Intercity to Spezia and a Regional train to Vernazza and in 1 hour and a half you're there.

In Cinque Terre you only need trains and your feet :)

Ric