Airport

Booking.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 38% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Bergamo

The artist at workThe artist at work

Train to LeccoTrain to Lecco

Battistero/Baptistery (Bergamo, Italy)Battistero/Baptistery (Bergamo, Italy)

Soft cheeseSoft cheese

Visiting Bergamo

by greynomad

It has been some time since i last visited the town of Gorno,Gorno is where my Grandparents came from
and at that time there was no public transport from Bergamo to Gorno, does anyone know if that has changed,i dread the thought of having to hire a car also is there any accommodation available in that area.

Re: Visiting Bergamo

by alza

Hi greynomad,

For Bergamo area, I found a bus line from Bergamo to Ponte Nossa, then Ponte Nossa to Gorno.
There may be better info but this could be a starting point.

I put in the fictitious date 30 November (December yielded no results yet.) I put in departure time from 08:00 hrs.
I typed BERGAMO in departure point, and GORNO in arrival point.
To get info from Bergamo to Gorno, I had to click "Corse di ritorno" (otherwise you get from Gorno back to Bergamo.)

First result (scroll down to see options) departed Bergamo stazione S.A.B. at 08:10
Arrival Ponte Nossa at 08:57 hrs
Depart Ponte Nossa at 10:35 hrs
Arrive Gorno 10:50 hrs
Trip duration: 2h40minutes

The link doesn't give all this info automatically. You have to type yourself: departure point, final destination, desired time of departure and click "Corse di ritorno" (Return route) in appropriate windows, and do the search.

Ponte Nossa is true NORTH of Bergamo on the map. Gorno is slightly WEST of Ponte Nossa on same map.
Hope the link gives you an idea.
I checked for trains from Bergamo to Ponte Nossa, and to Gorno, but got no results.

don't hesitate to ask for help with translation if needed. Good luck!

Re: Visiting Bergamo

by greynomad

Thank you my friend you have done what i could not do i appreciate that so much.

Travel Tips for Bergamo

Farmer's Market

by painterdave

I visited Alta on a Sunday and there was a Farmer's Market which also included some crafts made by hand. I assume that this takes place every Sunday. You will see it on the left near the top of the long shopping street (past the tower).
There was also two wine makers there offering a taste of their wine, and one oil producer.
The cheese producers had many choices, and they also offered free tasting so that you can buy a type you prefer. Please see my video of the rug maker. This is a special talent that is always interesting to watch.

the birthplace of Gaetano Donizetti (composer)

by call_me_rhia

Domenico Gaetano Maria Donizetti, a world reknown composer of Italian opera, was born on 29 November 1797 in Bergamo, which was then part of the Cisalpine Republic. When he died, on 8 April 1848, he died as an Austrian citizen, as Bergamo then belonged to Austria. In the course of his life he wrote about 60 operas, most of which characterized Italian Romaticism. His masterpiece is supposed to be Lucia di Lammermoor (1835).
The house where he was born is at Via Borgo Canale, 14. Viewing is by appointment, so you need to call ahead.

Walking the Venetian Walls

by irisbe

We preceded our walk passing the Gothic church of Saint Augustin (picture on the traffic tips with the scooters parking).
This church was the only big monument that was saved when the Venetian walls were constructed.
I will write a little more about it in the next tip.

At the right still La Rocca dominating the hill.
It looks over the Porta San Lorenzo, that I missed taking a picture of, and the Fara, the green fields down the hill.
Maybe it is because it is a bit more at a distance and less cared for. Yet I read that the view on the Valverde is magnificent. I put it on my list for next time!

The Porta San Lorenzo was built in 1627. Since 1907 this gate was also named Porta Garibaldi.
If you walk down to the gate you will notice a remembrance stone on which is written that Garibaldi and his Hunters from the Alps entered the city on 8th of June 1859.

The Fara needs some special attention too. It is said to be the oldest know inhabited area in Bergamo. Maybe already 1000 BC people discovered the advantages of this sunny and protected valley.
During the plague in 1630, it was used as a burial ground. Maybe burial is a bit too clean expression. There were special groups of people who needed to get the deceased out of their houses. They put the corpses on carriers and then headed towards the Porta Lorenzo.
Once arrived they stripped the dead and throw them in a kind of pit, a large hole.

Next time I go walk down there to try to find the memorial plate with the name of a man called Zeno. He is told to have done a great job during the plague. The disease was indiscriminate to all people of society and soon magistrates, secretaries and doctors were amongst the victims.
Often improvised undertakers, only in search to get hold on the value things they found on the bodies, were by stealing these things, passing on the disease and infecting others in this way.
Zeno got hold on them and had them punished, saving maybe many other lifes.

Cheap flights

by bonio

Irish budget airline Ryanair fly from London Stansted and Luton airports to Bergamo. Look out for bargains we only paid £2 before tax to get there and back! The flight is around 90 minutes. They advertise that the flight is to Milan, another 1/2 hour by bus, but we found that Bergamo is well worth a visit too!

What a view!

by Turska about San Vigilio

We came here,because someone told us,that we should.She was right!The view was amazing-too bad that we hadn´t booked a table,and didn´t get to sit next to big windows or at balcony.If you book before,I suggest to take table close to railing at ground-floor.We sat at"cellar",and didn´t see as far.Photos of the view are taken standing,not from our table.
There was only coupple of restaurants at highest top,so it´s quite easy to find. We had calzone,and asked for garlic-and we really got it!Yammy!There was garlic in slices not crushed-inside the pizza.Very good.They also had vetr good red beer-Moretti Rosso or close to that name.Funny though,that they asked twice,do we really want red beer!
We also had "mousse al cioccolato",witch was good,too.
One minus-thing there was:We had bread in our bill,even if they didn´t bring it to us.(it´s not legal anymore-before it was usual)And we were so hungry(we had eaten allmost nothing that day)that we´d love to have that bread

Comments