Albergo Santa Caterina

Via Alberico da Rosciate no 11/13, Bergamo, Italy

Albergo Santa Caterina
Booking.com Venere.com Expedia.com

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Reasonable priced accom just off the beaten track

I booked this 3* hotel through Booking.com, mainly for its cost and location - we wanted to be fairly near to the station and leics' hotel, so that we could meet up easily - well it was a longer walk than we'd anticipated - probably about 30 minutes! (We soon found out where the nearest bus stops were from here to the town centre) It is about 15 -20 minutes walk upto Citta Alta up one of the many medieval 'Stair cases' or 'scaletta' Otherwise catch one of the buses to Puerta Nuova or the station and catch the 1A bus to the funicular for a ride upto the upper old town, or just continue on the bus. Leaving the apartment and turning left, leads to the bus stop (cross the road for the bus to town)

I'd booked a twin room, and had re-iterated this prior to arrival - So I was somewhat shocked to find that there were only double beds (or family rooms) in this establishment - Hmmmmm! Well, it was only for 3 nights.

The Auberge/hotel is located in a quiet residential apartment block - it is on the ground floor, adjacent to a cafe/restaurant, where we ate on our first night.

The 7 rooms are colour themed - ours was The Blue Room.

Double bed, bedside tables, dressing table/desk, wardrobe, TV, Kettle -tea/coffee. View onto 'terrace' (pic 5) Didn't have access to this though.
    Bathroom - shower, WC, basin, towels (blue) loo paper, complimentary soap,showergel/shampoo

Breakfast is served in the basement - access by a curved stone staircase - so not ideal for those with mobility problems.
    Continental Breakfast - tea/coffee/hot chocolate, pastries, cakes, bread, cheese, salami/ham, yogurt, jams and juice. There is a minimarket/grocers nearby to supplement this.

Free WIFI was advertised, but we had trouble getting a connection. However the receptionist allowed Gilly to use the hotel PC - She had an urgent mission - to upload The Eurmeet page etc, ready for our announcement that Eurmeet 2012 was to be held in Bergamo!!!!!!

A taxi late at night called from the reception of the Best Western Hotel (Puerta Nuova) to Santa Caterina cost around 14 Euros

Unique Quality: Clean spacious room, friendly reception staff.

Location - In residential area - Via Alberico da Rosciate doesn't have too much 'local character', but a few metres away onto the next street (will find my map for its name!), and you are in amongst the local workers and shoppers etc - plenty of small independent shops, a smattering of churches and parks, bars, restaurants etc.
    It was quite popular at night with people enjoying a drink outside the bars.

Directions: Citta Bassa Santa Caterina Borgo/ borough

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Santa Caterina Hotel

We arrived at Albergo Santa Caterina rather warm from a long walk through the Citta Bassa from the train station. Albergo Santa Caterina is located in a residential area of Bergamo within reasonable (uphill) walking distance of the Citta Alta.

We stayed for 3 nights in May 2011.

The hotel (Albergo) is located on the ground floor of a double block of flats; it comprises seven colour-named rooms, each containing colour co-ordinated accents and accessories. We stayed in the Blue Room which had an en-suite showeroom provided with soap, shampoo and shower gel. The room has a dressing table and wardroom but did lack the provision of some easy chairs for comfortable seating.

Breakfast is served in a basement room and comprised pastries, yoghurts, bread, salami and cheese. Fresh coffee or tea was made to order.

Next door to the hotel, there is a Sicilian cafe and within easy walking distance a fruit and vegetable shop as well as a laundromat.

Unique Quality: Although the hotel is advertised on some websites as having twin rooms, it does not have any twin rooms. All rooms in Hotel Santa Caterina are double or family.

More about Bergamo

Stunning BergamoStunning Bergamo

Chiesa di Santo Spirito (Bergamo, Italy)Chiesa di Santo Spirito (Bergamo, Italy)

Funiculare (Bergamo, Italy)Funiculare (Bergamo, Italy)

Piazzetta Sant PancrazioPiazzetta Sant Pancrazio

Arriving late in Bergamo, need a Hotel

by tavita

Hi

I'm a newbie to the site. Hi all.

I will be arriving on a late flight to Orio Al Serio Airport (Bergamo) later this month and am looking for a hotel as close as possible to funicular station where the shuttle bus terminates.

Travelling alone and on a budget I need something within walking distance from the station if possible.

I am only staying for the night then visiting the lakes.

Can anyone recommend anywhere.

by GrumpyL5

From the railway station there is a broad main road to the funicular. It is well lit and busy.
Nearby hotels en-route: Piemontese and Arli are OK and reasonable rates. The BW and Excesior San Marco are more expensive but excellent.

Remember to buy a ticket before you get on the bus at teh airport.

Bergamo is very nice, and walkable.

by GrumpyL5

Forgot to add this

by Maurizioago

I booked a room at hotel San Giorgio some years ago. It's not far from the train station. Try to google a bit for info about this place.

by tavita

Thank you so much!

by Maurizioago

You're welcome!

Travel Tips for Bergamo

My best football related moment in Bergamo

by Calcio

It was during one of my first months in Milano. The day before I had seen Inter and Juventus play a fantastic game, and then I continued to a birthday-party for a very beautiful Mexican friend.
The next day I woke up, just a little bit hungover (well…) and took the train to Bergamo.
The train was pre-booked by different ultras-groups from Milan, so we “common people” had to sit all of us in just one small wagon. Or sit… try you to find a seat in a wagon that has 20 seats, and there are 150 people in there…
I thought I would fall asleep standing, but somehow managed to make my way to the stadium in Bergamo.
And there everything changed. A massive choreograph from Atalanta, great play by Milan, and a fantastic 4-1 victory for my Milano-heroes, and I was on fire again! :)
The train back to Milano was late, and I was lucky enough to hear that there were another train to Milano from another place at the station. Luckily I took that train, since the first one later on was stopped and smashed totally by Atalanta-hooligans…

Sunglasses!

by antz

Whatever you do - if you are going to Bergamo (even Italy in general) make sure that you take a pair of sunglasses with you! It would appear that everyone in Italy wears sunglasses all the time - even inside and at night!! It is more of a fashion accessorie rather than for the need to protect your eyes me thinks...however, I have to admit, I started doing it myself!

Orio al Serio

by sandysmith

W flew to Milan Bergamo - which is not so close for Milan but great for Bergamo!
We left from Liverpool which has cheap flights with Ryanair (ours was just £30 return inc taxes. No frills servicce but no complaints this time around - on time and luggage came too! Only snag is they are evening flights and you probably arrive just as the last bus to the old town finishes :-S

Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport

by Pakistaniguy

Many airlines have started flying to Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport because of its low taxes and good location.

These airlines include: Volareweb, Meridiana, Wind Jet, Air One, Air Europe, Alitalia, Ryanair, Wizzair, Germanwings, Air Berlin, Sterling SAS AZZURRA Air, Hapag-Lloyd Express, EUjet, Gandalf Airlines, Air Polonia LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa and others.

Good panini

by Turska about Pastifrulligeleria

We only came here for breakfast,but someone in VT said they have good crepes too.We love crepes,but this was at the frong side allways when we wanted something like that.But they had good value of paninis also.They tasted good,and were quite cheap for the size.No english menus-we don´t eat anything,so we had to choose from those I understood ;)
They also have ice-creammbut we didn´t taste it. We ate the same both times,because we loved it at first morning.Simple but good,panini with tuna,eggs(boiled),mayo and mozzarella.And a cafe latte for both.I´m a tea-person,but when travelling,I take latte at morning.I never drink plain coffee,I hate it.

Comments