B&B Il Ciliegio

Via Crocefisso, 74, Bergamo, 24123, Italy
B&B Il Ciliegio
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Bergamo

Una Culla Per La Vita-Cradles for Life - cradleUna Culla Per La Vita-Cradles for Life - cradle

Porta Nuova (Bergamo, Italy)Porta Nuova (Bergamo, Italy)

Bergamo Railway Station (Italy)Bergamo Railway Station (Italy)

Old Measuring devicesOld Measuring devices

Bergamo to Lake Orta

by janetfitzgerald

I am travelling to Lake Orta in May for a wedding & can get a reasonably priced flight to Bergamo. Is it possible to travel by train to Lake Orta without going into Milan first? I think you can get a bus to the train station @ Bergamo from the airport.

If anyone has the answer do you also have any idea of the cost?

Thanks for all your help.
Jan

Re: Bergamo to Lake Orta

by mkvalya

i don't think it's possible ...

i think the best thing is to take a bus from bergamo airport to milano centrale station and there take a train to novara and here you have to change train ...

but i'm not totally sure!

Re: Bergamo to Lake Orta

by suvanki

Hi! There are buses from the airport to Bergamo train station. Buy your ticket in the airport, and validate it on the bus. The journey takes about 15 - 20 mins depending on traffic.

There are also buses to Milan from the airport, co-inciding with the plane arrivals.

I'm still trying to find the info re train to Lake Orta from Bergamo for you (and also for my own interest now! - it looks an idyllic area!)

http://www.lakeorta.com/travel.htm might be of some use as a start.

If there is a train, it will be reasonably priced. I paid 7 euros from Lake Garda to Venice a couple of years ago, and recently 2.20 euros from Treviso to Venice, and also Bergamo to Milan.

Have you considered Car Hire? Is there anyone else traveling to the wedding that you could share a taxi with?

Best Wishes,
Sue

Travel Tips for Bergamo

Bergamo Tip

by denver662

The best part of Verenna was how relaxing it was. I was only there for one night but it was the last night before flying back to the U.S. Enjoying the sunseting over the mountains with a good glass of wine. It couldn't have been better.

Old Measuring devices

by suvanki

Looking at the Basillica Santa Maria Maggiores, architecture, it might be easy to miss these simple metal bars fixed onto the wall (walk to the left of the doorway with the Lions) and follow the wall - you'll soon find these iron bars, of different lengths, that are old measuring devices. They date back to the Middle Ages.

If you look closely, you can see writing and marks (pic 2) on the bars. The Piazza Duomo was once Bergamos Commercial Centre. I'm not sure if these measures would have been fixed here permanantly, or if they have been fixed here in later years.

hard getting to Bergamo from airport

by annamantere

We flew to Bergamo airport late at night and discovered there were no taxis at all! The ones that arrived seemed to be booked in advance. There was lots of buses going to Milan, so I guess it would have been no problem to get there. Luckily some lady asked us to share her taxi, so we got to Bergamo. the taxi fare was around 13 euros.

Good choice

by hojasdehierba about Ristorante Bernabo

At the lovely Citta Alta in Bergamo, this place proved to be a good choice for dining. Delicious pizzas, nice polenta taragna, a surprising and tasty pasta made with chesnut flour and, as a dessert, the usual tiramisu (I love it and hardly ever order another dessert in Italy). Wide wine menu, we chose a Trentino Cabernet and liked it.
The have a dining room in the main floor, but we had our dinner in the cellar, which is more romantic and suggestive. Good service. En la encantadora Citta Alta en Bergamo, este lugar demostro ser una buena eleccion para cenar. Pizzas deliciosas, sabrosa polenta taragna, una pasta sorprendente y muy rica hecha con harina de castanha y, de postre, tiramisu (me encanta y casi nunca pido otra cosa en Italia). Amplia carta de vinos, elegimos un Cabernet del Trentino y nos gusto. Tienen un comedor en el piso principal, pero tomamos la cena en el sotano, que es mas romantico y sugerente. Buen servicio.

Polenta, Polenta, till it grows out of your ears

by irisbe about Antica Hosteria Del Vino Buono

After our expensive lunch we were looking for some nice place to have dinner.
One of the places Erica of the B&B recomended was just opposite our location.
It was the Antica Hosteria del Vino Buono, a local restaurant, as was also stated on their businesscard: "Trattoria tipica".

We saw they offered a menu for 28 Euro with 3 courses and drinks included.
We didn't hesitate and got inside to find ourselfs in a nice little restaurant.

The drinks where a karaf of red wine and a karaf of water and a coffee afterwards.

The first dish was brought in and it was Polenta with some slices of the fat side (white side) of the typical ham.
Polenta was mashed corn, quite a bit and it was very filling.

The next dish came a bit too fast and it was a kind of ravioli, but much thicker and very heavy on the stomach.

By now we really were feeling so full.
We wanted to take a little break but the waitres came to look behind the corner if we had finished already.
It seems that in Italy you need to eat fast and they cannot let you sit with an empty plate or with nothing in front of you.

So I acted like I was still eating :)

Then came the third plate and oh no... it was polenta again with some meat. I think it was turkey? or veal? or a mixture?
I could not define because there was a sause put over it.

We didn't started at the polenta, it was just too much of the same in one menu.

After a cappucino we paid our bill.
Our stomach was heavy but we thought that 28 Euro was a bit much asked for pasta and corn?
Bergamo seems to be really expensive and if you find something affordable then the ingredients are not really worth the price.

I must say the service was pleasant and good but if I ever go to eat there again I would not ask for a menu or for anything with polenta.

Comments