Best Western Premier Cappello d'Oro

See Amenities
pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Best Western at Città Bassa

by written on February 3, 2013

The Best Western in Bergamo's lower town is located at the main crossing. You have easy access to all down town locations.

The hotel itself was base to many members during our VY Euromeeting 2012.

Unique Quality: 100% smoke-free
Inhouse restaurant "Ristorante del Moro"
Free wireless Internet access
Air-conditioning in the guest rooms

Directions: Center of Città Bassa

Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Prime location, comfortable and friendly

by written on August 20, 2012

Immediately after booking online the Capello D'oro e-mailed me as to room preferences, special requests etc. When I arrived, shortly before mid-day, the receptionist on duty did his best to get me a room immediately. Because I wanted a room on the first floor I had a short wait but was more then happy with what I got. I had booked a single but got a spacious double which was really comfortable and tastefully decorated. The huge pillows, bathrobe and slippers were all little touches of luxury I appreciated and overall I found staying at the Capello D'Oro to be a really comfortable and relaxing experience.

Despite hot weather and high humidity, the temperature in my room was always cool and as well as air conditioning there was a large window that I could throw wide open. The bathroom was huge with a bigger then average shower cubicle and loads of towels. Breakfast, especially by Italian standards was plentiful, and while not the most exciting or varied breakfast buffet I've come across, it was more then adequate with a variety of hot and cold dishes. The free WiFi in Capello D'Oro, really was free, umlimited and available all over the hotel. All in all excellent service and levels of comfort.

Unique Quality: For me the most outstanding feature of the Best Western Premier Capello D'oro, was it's perfect location. Just five minutes walk from the railway situation, it's situated right in the centre of Citta Bassa, close to shops, restaurants and all amenities. Citta Alta, Bergamo's gorgeous Old Town is reached by funicular and bus and the bus stop to both is directly across the road from the hotel. Best of all, when your trip is over, the airport bus stops right outside the door. At just under EUR 100 a night, the Capello D'Oro was expensive by my standards and way more then I would usually pay for a room for just one person but given the high standard of accommodation, the prime location and excellent service, I feel it was worth it.

Directions: In the centre of Citta Bassa, about five minutes walk from the train station.

The rooms

by written on June 11, 2012

The photographs above show single rooms.
I found the rooms of good size. They had a wardrobe, chair, desk, TV, tea and coffee making facilities, a space for your suitcase, good lighting, decent sized bathroom with complimentary soap, shower gel, body wash and moisturiser (teeny of course).
I found their guide to Bergamo really interesting, it gives you some history and helps you to decide where you want to visit.
There is a guest folder which contains information about the hotel and the services they offer. Within this you will find the telephone numbers for theses services, what to do in an emergency, how to contact reception and what TV channels there are along with what language that channel is showing in (Italian, German or English).

The hotel offers free WiFi. All you need to do is ask at reception for the access code. These codes are different for each person and each time you need to renew. The codes last for a limited amout of time, but like I say, just go back to reception and ask for another - no fuss.

Being clean and tidy is what the hotel aim for and from what I have experienced, have achieved this with flying colours. As they are promoting being friendly to the environment, they ask if you do not want your bedding (sheets, pillow etc.) changing, put the card on your pillows and this will be observed.
I think this is a great idea - I certainly don't need my bedding changed daily!

Unique Quality: The light that comes on inside the wardrobe when you open the doors!!!
Well stocked tea and coffee making facilities.
Space!

The hotel terrace

by written on June 11, 2012

This is simply a page to show you some photos of what the terrace looks like.
I loved spending time here. I'd get a drink, my iPod and a deck of cards and really enjoy chilling out.
It the place to go to if you are a smoker also.
There are comfy seats around tables and huge parasols to keep you shaded if that's what you desire.
When I was staying, it was very quiet (bliss!). It cannot accomodate many people compared to the amount of people that could be staying in the hotel at any one time. But this was not a problem for me (I stayed end of May/June 2012).
It's a great meeting place to have lots of fun and giggles!

Directions: First floor!

Excellent customer service

by written on June 11, 2012

I have nothing to complain about here. Nothing that got on my nerves, nothing that made my stay unpleasant at all.

Located in Citta Bassa, this hotel is very central and great for using public transport. If you arrive in Bergamo by plane and get the number 1A bus into Bergamo, you need to get off the stop after the train station at Porta Nuova. The hotel is more or less opposite the bus stop - slightly to the right. It is feasible to walk from the train station to the hotel. Just walk on the left side of Via Papa Giovanni (as if you have just walked out of the train station, it is the street infront of you). When you reach Porta Nuova (the street opens into a cross roads), the hotel is on your left just before you reach the traffic lights.
Getting back to the airport is the same bus from the second bus stop to the right of the hotel doors (on the same side as the hotel).
The bus stop for Citta Alta is on the opposite side to the hotel.
A point of note: you always need to pre-buy bus tickets. None are issued onboard.
The lobby in the hotel is big. There is plenty of space to sit and relax or catch-up with friends. In fact, the management were kind enough to allow the organisers of EurMeet 2012 to hold the numerous registration gatherings here.
The hotel is very clean; the lobby, resturant, bar area, terrace, lift, corridors etc. etc. are all kept to a high standard.
Service from the staff cannot be faulted.
The hotel offers free WiFi. There is a code you need to pick-up from reception before you can access this free service. The code also runs out after a period of time, so all you need to do is get another one. There is no fuss and no waiting.
This hotel has a lovely terrace for guests to use at their pleasure. This is also the smoking area for those of us who are smokers.
My rooms were clean, tidy and had a fresh feel to them. Each room has coffee and tea making facilities which are well stocked, along with a TV boasting has Italian, English and German channels.
I had breakfast included in the price of my stay. This was served in the resturant off the looby on the ground floor. The buffet style breakfast had the variety of breads, pastries, cakes, yoghurts, cereals, hams, cheeses, sausages, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, tinned fruit and fruit juices, coffee, teas and milk.

Overall, my stay here was excellent and will be returning if I have the opportunity to in the future. Remember, it is a 4* hotel, so it is more expensive than the many other options in Bergamo.

Unique Quality: Customer service
Unfortunatley I was really ill on this holiday at times and was vomiting none-stop (Ewww I know, a little to much information, but I have to give you the background!!). I completely messed up my room and I was absolutley mortified. I rang reception for some help in cleaning it up - something to get rid of the smell really!
The gentleman on reception came up and said that the best thing to do was for me to move rooms. He told me to stop trying to clean and to stop apologising.
Within 15 minutes he had sorted out another room for me (had it speed-cleaned as all single rooms had been occupied the previous night) and had sent up a porter to help me with my luggage.
This was amazing. I can't believe that I didn't have to pay in some way, as I was fully prepared to do so.
At the end of my stay I bought this lovely guy and porter some flowers in appreciation of what they had done for me. I was shocked to see how touched they were. They kept saying "No, no, it's just my job.", but to me, they went above and beyond and I and so thankful.

Directions: Second stop after the train station of the number 1A bus into Bergamo from the airport.
It is also feasible to walk from the train station to the hotel.
See above for detailed information.

Gillybob's Profile Photo

Convenience and service!

by written on February 25, 2012

This 4* hotel is conveniently located on Viale Papa Giovanni XXIII near Largo Porta Nuova within easy walking distance of the train station; the number 1 bus to/from Citta Alta also stops outside the hotel.

During our visit in May 2011, we had sat on the roof terrace and 'abused' the hotel's free WiFi to upload the announcement video and initial pages for EurMeet; the roof terrace is very pleasant and we were undisturbed during our time there.

In May 2011, the hotel receptionist made arrangements for us to view a triple room which we subsequently booked for EurMeet. Our room was at the front of the hotel, directly overlooking Viale Papa Giovanni XXIII and was very pleasant; the only negative comment I have would be the minimal provision of wardrobe space given that we were three ladies sharing the room - this could be easily rectified by providing a tallboy-style robe into the room, which had adequate space to accommodate such a piece of furniture, but this is only a minor point.

The room is provided with a dressing table and work desk, whilst the en-suite has shower, wash hand basin, WC, bidet and is supplied with toiletries, towels and bathrobes.

Room rates include a buffet breakfast which is provided with both continental and hot buffet items from which to select.

Prices quoted below are for advance purchase, non-cancellable rates for a triple room.

Unique Quality: Pleasant 'roof' terrace located on the first floor within the quadrangle of the hotel which is provided with comfortable outdoor 'lounge' furniture and large parasols to protect from the sunshine during hot weather.

The buffet-style breakfast offers an excellent selection of items to choose from including fresh fruit, yoghurt, pastries, breads, jams and preserves, as well as hot food items. Coffee and hot water is provided, as are tea bags. Breakfast is cleared promptly at 10:00 daily.

Directions: Walk straight down Via Papa Giovanni XXIII from the train station. The hotel is on the left just before the old city gates (Largo Porta Nuova).

Redang's Profile Photo

Perfect location

by written on August 31, 2009

Excellent four star hotel that offers good prices: Single room, 68,00 Euros, B&B (Aug. '09).

Unique Quality: Clean, very well situated, friendly and helpful staff.

- Fax: (+39) 035 24 29 46

Directions: Porta Nuova area, halfway between the railway station and the funiculare/funicular to the Cità Alta/Upper City.

suvanki's Profile Photo

Great location, Friendly Helpful staff

by written on April 10, 2009

I booked this 4* hotel for myself and six friends through Venere.com.

Although I had a few problems this time with my cards for some reason (think it was either Venere or the hotels system) the staff at Venere and the Hotel were brilliant- sorting it all out efficiently, and we even got a cheaper price!

We chose this for its location (near the train station and central), and because not all of our gang 'do hostels/ basic'!!

We booked 1 triple room and 2 twin rooms with breakfast included (also free use of fitness centre and sauna -( which we didn't get around to using) For two doubles and a triple room we paid 712 Euros for the 2 nights

We were all very satisfied with our choice

I shared a twin room with Tina-It was very spacious and comfortable, with views onto Viale Papa Giovanni Xxiii and Upper Alta.

Bedroom-twin beds, dressing table, bedside tables with lamps, TV, spacious wardrobe with safe, coat hooks, drinks making tray.
Bathroom-Shower and bath, Wash Basin, WC, fluffy towels. Room service available.

Buffet breakfast with a wide selection of hot and cold food, fresh fruit, yogurts, pastries etc.

Attractive entrance lobby and reception area, with comfortable seating.

Lifts (elevators)
Pets welcome. Baby sitting service.

Bus Stop for the airport outside the hotel.

Unique Quality: We had come to Bergamo to celebrate Patsys 50th Birthday. On the Saturday evening, before going out for a meal, we'd secretly organised a bottle of Champagne to be served on the outside terrace.

The hotel supplied free nibbles, and a handsome waiter to serve our drinks!
We decorated the terrace with balloons and banners, and Patsy had a wonderful surprise!

We had a quick look at the small fitness centre and sauna, but didn't have time to use these .

Pleasant outside seating area.

I'd certainly recommend this hotel, and would stay here again.

Directions: From the train station, head forward up Viale Papa Giovanni XX111 towards Puorta Nuova - The city gates. On the left hand side of the road, opposite the church, you'll find the hotel

hojasdehierba's Profile Photo

Good hotel, excellent location

by written on November 6, 2005

We spent 3 nights at BW Capello D'oro. We booked two double rooms, which were quite different: ours was bigger and with a king-size bed. The other couple's room was smaller and twin-bedded. But both of them had the same services: hairdryer, bath slippers, toilettries, facilities for tea/coffee, Satellite TV... Breakfast was included and it was an excellent buffet with eggs, fruit, delicious fruit salads, juices, pastries, cheese, ham...
We were really satisfied with the hotel staff: they provided us with accurate info about car renting, and got us a very early taxi trip to the airport when we requested it.
The location is excellent: the best area of Citta Bassa (Porta Nuova) and nº1 Bus leaves you just in front of the door of the hotel, from Orio Al Serio Airport or from the funicular to Citta Alta. You may even walk to the funicular: it is at walking distance. Railway station is at walking distance too.
As a bad point, I would comment that our non-smoking room smelled heavily.

Unique Quality: Pasamos 3 noches en el BW Capello D'Oro. Reservarmos dos habitaciones dobles que eran bastante diferentes: la nuestra era mas grande y con cama king. La de la otra pareja era mas pequeña y de dos camas. Pero las dos tenian los mismos servicios: secador, zapatillas de baño, jabones, hervidor de agua para te y cafe, TV satélite (con TVE Internacional)... El desayuno estaba incluido y era un excelente buffet con huevos, fruta, deliciosas macedonias, zumos, pasteles, queso, jamón... Nos quedamos muy contentos con el personal del hotel: nos proporcionaron informacion exacta sobre alquiler de coches y nos consiguieron un taxi para el aeropuerto a una hora muy temprana.
La situacion es excelente: esta en la mejor zona de la Cita Basa (Porta Nuova) y el bus nº 1 te deja justo en la puerta del hotel desde el Aeropuerto o desde el funicular que te lleva a la Citta Alta. Incluso puedes ir caminando hasta el funicular.
Como punto negativo, comentaria que nuestra habitación olia muchisimo a tabaco, aunque era de no fumadores.

Directions: Between Porta Nuova and Railway Station

Mickos's Profile Photo

Best Western

by written on July 6, 2003

The Best Western Hotel Cappello D'Oro is located in Bergamo downtown, between the railway station and the funicolar leading to Città Alta with its artistic treasures and Medieval charme, the hotel boasts an ancient tradition. Rooms completely redecorated in 1997. Renowned restaurant with Italian and regional cuisine.

Unique Quality: Central location. ideal for the railway station or the old city

Directions: Central Bergamo Bassa

smicki's Profile Photo

Citta Alta or Citta Bassa?

by written on May 26, 2003

We got a good deal and stayed at this 4* hotel in the Citta Bassa (the newer part of Bergamo).

The hotel was of a good standard, staff spoke English and tried to be friendly. Rooms were clean, of average standard but fairly non-descript - we did however manage to get one with a view of the Citta Alta (mediaeval part) - don't remember the number sorry!

If I was going to Bergamo again, I would try to stay in one of the Alberghi in the Citta Alta, the Al Sole or the Agnello D'Oro. I haven't seen the rooms but I ate at the restaurant of the Al Sole - if you go in summer there is a big garden area for dining outside - and went as far as the reception of the Agnello D'Oro. I would guess that they wouldn't be 5 star by any means, more like "pensions" or "guesthouses" - but with more character and more convenienet as you will probably most of your time in that part of town. They were also cheaper than our hotel.

Directions: 5 mins walk from Station - or take bus going to Citta Alta and get off at first stop (I think?)

Nearby Best Western Premier Cappello d'Oro

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Bergamo Travel Forum

Need advice about Bergamo, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Bergamo and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bergamo hotel reviews

Basilica S. Maria Maggiore
Colleoni Chapel
Cathedral
Things to Do
A day trip to the lake of Como.
Things to Do
Another day trip to the lake of Como.
Church of San Pancrazio Is On via Gombito
Look At The West End Of The Cathedral
North On Sq. Is Pal. Nuovo i
Ice Cream Heaven!
Restaurants
Great food with wonderful views!
Piazza Duomo.
Museo Donizettiano.
La Rocca.
Piazza Vecchia.
Favorites
Happy hour in the lower city.
Happy hour at lunchtime.
Restaurants
Great snacks to eat in or take away
Restaurants
Service and great local fare!
Great local food!
The Best!
Casoncelli alla Bergamasca.
Torre Civica.
Aula della Curia.
Off The Beaten Path
Fantastic dinner in a pretty setting
What a display!
Bassa: Explore the Neighbourhoods 5 : Palazzo
Alta: Gelato 3..and the best, imo
Citta Bassa - The "New" City
Off The Beaten Path
Tempietto di Santa Croce.
Off The Beaten Path
The ex convent of San Francesco.
Off The Beaten Path
Friendly place with good food and drink
Rocca Fortress