GombitHotel

GombitHotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Luxury in Citta Alta

This review is based on a visit to the hotel in December 2011 as part of our preparation for EurMeet in 2012 and not based on an actual stay at the hotel.

Whilst wandering the streets of Citta Alta, we stumbled upon this hotel which is conveniently located just off Via Gombit, one of the main thoroughfares in Citta Alta. It holds thirteen rooms spread over four floors of a 13th century tower house but has been thoroughly renovated and modernised.

The receptionist kindly allowed us the opportunity to view one of the double rooms as part of our visit. The room was furnished with a double bed, writing desk and wardrobe. The en suite was luxuriously accommodated and had a walk-in shower, WC, basin and bidets; towels and complimentary toiletries were available, as was a hair dryer. Each of rooms are individual y designed by Gio Pozzi, sharing a common theme of colour and style featuring wooden floors, stone and brickwork.

The hotel has a 24 hour reception, bar and breakfast room with rooms being provided with air conditioning, TV, mini bar and free WiFi.

Unique Quality: This luxurious hotel is tastefully decorated and had an air of quiet about it.

Directions: From the upper station of the first funicular, head straight ahead up Via Gombit and turn left into Via Maria Lupo. The hotel is located one or two doors up this side street.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

4 star Design Hotel in Citta Alta

I've not stayed in this hotel, but viewed a room here during our reccy for Eurmeet 2012

This was an accidental find during our time wandering around Citta Alta - and it was a Great find - Out of my budget range I'm afraid, but if I ever receive a windfall, I'll book here!

Thirteen rooms (so not for the superstitious)! on four floors of this 13th Century Tower House. Though it's very much an example of the 21st Century sitting within the 13th Century foundation.

These rooms are all individually designed (by Gio Pozzi), but share a common theme of colour and style. Wooden floors, exposed stone and brickwork, pastel walls etc

24 hour reception, bar, breakfast room (Selection of pastries, fruit, yogurts etc) and car hire
    All rooms have air con,TV, Free WiFi and mini bar

Double Rooms (Classic Superior and De-Luxe) and suite plus double for single occupancy (limited rooms available for 1-4 June on Booking.com as of 12.12.11)

My first impression was of the whiteness of the walls and the perfumed air.
    The receptionist was friendly and professional.
    On the desk were a couple of copies of a 'coffee table book', which featured this hotel

We were given the keys to view one of the double rooms (pic 1) - though I'm afraid that I don't know if this was a Classic, Superior or De-Luxe.
    Double bed with writing desk and wardrobe storeage space -I was particilarly impressed with the bathroom (pic 3) Walk in shower, Wash basin, WC, Bidet. Towels and complimentary shower gel/shampoo etc. hairdryer.

All in All, I would imagine this would be a particularly nice place to stay - some quirky points such as the alcove with a saxaphone and music playing at a low level - The Gombit Hotel encourages young artists to display their work here.

Prices - I can't access them on Gombit site, but check out Booking.com for examples for June 1-4th 2012

Unique Quality: Great location - off Via Gombito, so in the 'centre of things' in Citta Alta -Next to the Torre del Gombito.

One of Bergamos famed 13th Century Tower Houses

A lovely Boutique Hotel

Directions: From the Funicular station in Citta Alta, head forward up Via Gombito, keep to the left hand side. Turn Left into Via Maria Lupo, and this hotel is on the left hand side

More about Bergamo

Porta Nuova PropylaeaPorta Nuova Propylaea

Torre Gombito (Bergamo, Italy)Torre Gombito (Bergamo, Italy)

Special PotionSpecial Potion

Palazzo della Ragione - bas reliefsPalazzo della Ragione - bas reliefs

LAKE COMO : NEAREST RESORTS TO BERGAMO

by hazelsquestions

I will be travelling from Bergamo Airport to Lake Como.

Please could someone tell me where the train from Bergamo station goes to at Lake Como?

When you are at the station, what is the nearest resort - and how far would this be - would I need a taxi, or is there a bus, or could I walk? I will be travelling with Ryanair, landing at around 15.40 so I don't want to have too far to travel to the resort.

Also, can someone recommend a nice hotel (in the region of around E150) per night in this resort that I can maybe book on the internet.

Sorry so many questions, but it is always such a help to have a first hand account fromsomeone who has actually visited there.

Thanks

Hazel

Re: LAKE COMO : NEAREST RESORTS TO BERGAMO

by Adelle123

I used this site to book my tickets for my recent trip to Lake Orta. I also flew through Bergamo (the ryan air port-a-cabin ha ha!) and had to take the train down to Milan and then back north again. But that was on a sunday, maybe its different through the week.
good luck!

Re: LAKE COMO : NEAREST RESORTS TO BERGAMO

by Billy16

Just back from Varenna (5th visit) and suggest you have a look at

More info on Varenna to be found at Info on Varenna can be found at

Varenna is part of what the ferry operaters call Centro Lago or Centre Lake and includes Mennagio, Bellagio, Caddeabia, Tremezzo and Lenno. You can buy a dayticket at the ferry terminal which will give you unlimited travel between these towns for about €6. There is in fact a boat which does nothing but go to these towns all day. You can stay on all day if you want.

To reach Varenna there are frequent buses from the airport to the train station taking approx 15mins.

For train times just go to

key in Bergamo for departure and Varenna as detination click the word DETAILS on the solution you're interested in and the full journey details will be revealed.A return ticket from Bergamo to Varenna will cost about €9.

Have a great trip.

Billy

Travel Tips for Bergamo

Public drink places? Porta de Pinta

by irisbe

If you walk down the Via Porta Dipinta (on my last day I walked up this street with 15 kilo’s of luggage on my back!) you will pass this large arch fountain.
It looks like there once was a door. In fact there was before it was frescoed during the Renaissance times. It used to be a “porta” through the medieval walls.
The name Via Porta Dipinta derives from it.

12th Century bas relief and frescoes

by suvanki

Another hidden treasure of the Basillica Santa Maria Maggiore.

From the outside, facing the Basillicas door, walk to the left again, near the measuring devices (see previous tip) you'll see a curved staircase that leads to a Gothic doorway, which was built by Giovanni da Campione.

The lunette holds a bas relief that depicts the birth of the Virgin Mary. It is believed to date back to the 12th Century. (pics 1 and 2) If you look on the walls you'll see faded and damaged frescoes. I'm not sure of their age.

Some of the stone sculptures were a bit sinister, with skulls (pic 4) and bat like figures (1 + 2)

Funicular

by Mahieu

There are two funiculars.
The first one goes from lower town ( viale Vittorio Emmanuele) to the Citta Alta ( Piazza Mercato della Scarpe)
The second one goes from the Porta San Alessandro to San Vigilio.
You can buy a day-ticket, that allows you to take both funiculars as many times as you want.

Great buffet - central location near train station

by suvanki about Ristorante Piemontese

It was getting a bit late, when we eventually set out to find somewhere to eat (we'd been celebrating Patsys birthday with champagne, and giving her her surprise gifts) so we decided to find somewhere nearer to our hotel in Citta Bassa (the lower 'new town')

We soon came across this restaurant (we'd enjoyed a coffee at the bar next door earlier that morning) and I remembered reading good reviews about it. It is the restaurant below the hotel of the same name.

Any concerns that we wouldn't be able to get a table were dispelled as we were led through the restaurant - it holds seating for up to 350 diners. The restaurant is divided into smaller dining areas and alcoves, so it felt quite comfortable.
The restaurant appeared to be quite full, with diners of different ages, couples, families and groups. The staff were quite smartly attired, and were friendly and polite.

As usual, we ordered wine and beer while we waded through the extensive menu. We all liked the sound of the Antipasto buffet - we decided to go with the 'small plate' then chose a main course. I decided on Veal in Masala sauce.

The buffet had lots of choice - plenty of fresh salad, marinated/ pickled fish, vegetables (including some yummy roasted sweet onions!) cheeses etc.
In hindsight, I wish that I'd just chosen the buffet only, as I couldn't finish all of my veal (and I would have liked to have tried more of the buffet)

We finished our meal with coffees- no one had room for dessert! The buffet was very good- lots of choice- fish, meat and vegetarian dishes.

My veal in Masala sauce was delicious - I chose this for a kind of nostalgic reason- I'd enjoyed veal in a lemon sauce a few years ago at Restaurante del Lago, Brenzone on Lake Garda (when I was torn between the lemon or masala sauce)

Pasta

by juzz about Pasta & Basta

This place offers many kinds of pasta, from spaghetti, to tagliatelle, from gnocchi to lasagne, so, if you want to explore this part of Italian cuisine, this restaurant is definitely for you.
They also have more than pasta (despite the name "pasta e basta" which means "only pasta") but of course pasta is peculiar.
It's closed on Wednesday.
(The only bad thing I can say about this place is that they didn't have fresh parmesan for their pasta, quite annoying for an Italian!) "Tris" is my favourite one: three kinds of pasta all together in the same plate. It's not because it would be boring to have the whole plate filled with the same marvellous stuff but it's for those who are curious to try more at once!
For one main dish, a drink and dessert we paid 16 euros per person.

Comments