Via Gombito 22, Bergamo, Bergamo Province, 24100, Italy

Priceline.com Booking.com

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

A great base in the Città Alta

The Agnello d'Oro was recommended to me by VT’s leics, and was just what I was looking for – a reasonably priced, friendly hotel in the heart of the Città Alta. I booked a double room, as Chris was to join me for the second half of the meeting. It was perhaps a little compact for an extended stay for two people, but fine when I was on my own, and OK for a short stay for two. The bed was comfortable, I had a small TV, desk and chair, and a good sized bathroom, though the shower was of the hand-held variety and with no shower curtain it could get a little splashy at times!

Breakfast is included in the price and was served outside when the weather was warm, and inside on a couple of cooler mornings. It was relatively substantial for an Italian establishment, with a choice of two fruit juices, coffee served to your order (always caffe doppio for me!), croissants, bread, cornflakes, some sort of cake (different each day) and yoghurts. Service was friendly both at breakfast and on reception.

The hotel offers wifi at a small charge, but if booked through Booked.com you can get three hours free, to be used at any time during your stay – however, this isn’t well publicised and I only found out when another VT guest told me about it. Alternatively, there is a PC near reception which you can use.

I had been a little concerned that the location on Città Alta’s busy main thoroughfare, Via Gombito, might have meant that it was a little noisy at night, but this isn’t really a party place and most of the noise (which was only the conversation of passers-by in any case) died down by about midnight. After that the only noise was the splash of the fountain just outside, until the church bells woke me around 7.00 AM.

The double room cost €110 a night including breakfast – a little expensive for the two nights I was there alone but I preferred to pay this rather than have to move rooms during my stay. You can get cheaper rooms of similar quality in Bassa, but for us it was worth paying the extra for the benefit of staying here in the most interesting and characterful part of town.

Unique Quality: The former owner of the hotel, who died not long before our visit, was a keen artist and his works are displayed all over the hotel – in the restaurant, the rooms and all down the stairs. He was also it seems a collector of just about anything decorative that he came across – ceramic plates, old jugs, copper pans, oil lamps, pictures, kitchen implements, word carvings, and of course lambs of every description (Agnello d'Oro means the Golden Lamb). The resulting jumble must be a nightmare to dust and would look awful in many settings, but it does give the restaurant area and lobby a quirky charm.

Before starting to explore the city, let’s find out more about our transport options, in particular the funicular that connects Bassa with Alta.

Directions: From station take bus #1 to Alta – either get off at funicular, go up and walk almost straight ahead (less than 5 minutes walk to hotel), or take bus to end, walk through arch, across piazza and along main street almost to end (c. 10 minutes walk)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

lower price for nice hotel up at the old town

I had just got to the tourist office up at Bergamo Alta before closing and while there the woman working there looked up some accommodation for me - all accommodation on the lower end of the price scale for places to stay up at the old town were full except for Agnello d'oro just a few minutes walk away.

So I went off to check out the hotel which Id been told had single rooms still available for me for 65 euro.
    The hotel was rather nice and quite a lot of character, the girl behind the desk was pleasant and helpful but the 65 euro didnt include breakfast nor did they have any internet access.

She would have given me a voucher for overnight parking nearby which would have included during the day for planned sightseeing.

I decided to head off to the other hotel down in Bergamo Bassa to save 15 euro and possibly be able to use the internet. If I had my time again I would have stayed up at this hotel in the old town.

Directions: up at the old town Bergamo Alta along the main walking street from the car park

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

In the heart of Citta Alta

In case of doubts, there are good accommodations in Citta Alta aswell as in Citta Basa. I would suggest to stay here in this hotel which is located in the heart of historic centre, just a foot of everything one need to see.

Directions: the hotel is actually situated along Via Colleoni, main street of Citta Alta, and you can't miss it.%s?

• montana32's Profile Photo

great location

we stayed here in july and purely by chance enjoyed the world cup final in the bar over the road.
    the hotel is in a great location,but most of the staff do NOT speak any english at all except helena.
    the room were clean but spartan ,in fact they were very clean well done to the cleaners
    the bathrooms could do with updating and the bath was very small (mind you i am 17 stone)
    the hotel can give you a special parking dispensation to park for free close by which was very handy
    top tip is AVOID the continental breakfast which at 6 euros for coffee and bread is expensive
    for 6 euros you get what you want within a few seconds walk

Unique Quality: fabulous location and very very clean
    staff were friendly but 90oke no english (which is my fault as my italian is rubbish)

Directions: up the funicular from cita bassa ,go straight ahead 50 feet on the right

• scookie16's Profile Photo

Charming hotel in centre of Citta Alta

We stayed for four nights in Agnello D'Oro in February and were very pleased with the hotel's location. Our room was small and a bit dark but nicely decorated and furnished. We saw it as charming but could understand others thinking it somewhat 'worn'. In general the staff were helpful and friendly and the room was cleaned daily. We stayed over St Valentines and returned from dinner to find a little box of Italian chocolates on our pillow - I thought that was a really nice gesture. Our room had a television and heating. The only downside was that there only seemed to be hot water early in the morning and at other times of the day the heating was switched off.

Unique Quality: The architecture and character of the hotel made it special.

Directions: Citta Alta - very central.

• Mountherrick's Profile Photo

Alta Citta is a must

Stayed here at the beginning of February. Hotel and staff were first class although the restaurant was closed for refurbishment we were directed to adjacent restaurants which were excellent. Centrally located in Citta Alta on the ' main street' .

Unique Quality: Very friendly staff who all spoke excellent English. Our double room was large with a small balcony overlooking the street which, even in February was an afternoon sun trap.
    Do not miss the funicular to San Vigilio and the Pizzaria Ristorante at the top for the food and the breathtaking view.
    Lots of adjacent good restaurants and even a local Irish bar (the Toucan)with excellent Guinness.

Directions: Taxi from airport to the Funicular station to Citta Alta. 10 Euros.
    Funicular 1.5 Euro then a 2 minute walk.

• bonio's Profile Photo

good zzzzz

One of just two hotels in citta alta, quiet location and a good nights sleep. Also has a restraunt but it was closed while we were there!

• F_Meignant's Profile Photo

Agnello d'OroVia Gombito,...

Agnello d'OroVia Gombito, 22Citta AltaBergamoTel: 035 24 98 83Fax: 035 23 56 12

Unique Quality: A simple place, not very cheap but quite convenient to visit the 'Citta Alta'. Nothing really special, except the series of things which are hanging on the walls of the dining room: impressive!

Comments