Ostello della Gioventu Bergamo

Bergamo Youth Hostel
Expedia.com Hotels.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Average

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

clean, pleasant and comfortable youth hostel

Didnt end up staying here but did visit to check out the hostel - its friendly and roomy and clean. There is also a direct bus (bus number 3) from the hostel up the old town.
    If you are driving a good tip would be to find the bus stop for Number 3 up near the old town entrance and follow the bus to the hostel to ease finding it for the first time.

With hotels being generally pricey or overpriced in Bergamo this place is well worth enduring the distance that it is away from the city centres.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Ostello Nuovo di Bergamo

The stay was OK, but surely not outrageous. The multilingual staff is very helpful, trying to accommodate everybody. I remember that one night, an extra bed was put into my 8-bed dorm to accommodate a 9th guy. But I also remember that I had to change my room after the first night. Breakfast was fine, with exception of the artificially flavoured and sweetened fruit juice. What I found really interesting was the fact, that almost everybody I spoke to was here because of a cheap Ryanair flight departing from Orio-Al-Serio – Airport. So I had a nice time exchanging Ryanair – stories with other passangers - pardon, travellers.

Unique Quality: The Ostello Nuovo di Bergamo is a classic Youth Hostel with all the things you probably know from a trip with your school class: Shared rooms with bunk beds, a big breakfast room where you get your food from a counter by a kitchen help employee – all in abuilding built somehwen between the 1960s and 1980s. Rooms are clean, at least by hostel standard. All rooms are en-suite, but a couple of rooms share the bathroom with the room next door. To stay in the hostel, you will need to buy a stamp card or have an international YHA membership. The “welcome stamp” – system costs 3,00 EUR extra per night. The hostel is located in a quiet area in the northeast of the city, with a nice view onto the town and the surrounding hills. There are two bus lines running several times an hour, tickets can be bought at the reception.

Bus No. 6 from Porta Nuova (close to train station) and No. 3 from Città Alta run several times per hour, but only until 9 pm or so. The bus from the airport (1C) stops at both of these places. While number 3 stops in front of the hostel, the stop for number 6 is a short walk away. It’s the second to last station, look out for a post-modern church and ring the stopping button after you see the hostel sign on the right hand side. From there, use the stairs uphill and look out for the building you see in the picture.

Directions: In the northeast of the town, the closest well-known place is probably the Atalanta stadium

• antz's Profile Photo

If you can find it!

The night I arrived in Bergamo, I couldn't find the No 14 bus to get to the Hostel. Luckily, a couple of Glaswegian guys who were on the flight with me, were also staying at the hostel, so we all shared a taxi. Just as well really, as there is no No 14 bus! Not off to a good start!

When we got there, it took about an hour to check in, and I was first in the queue - with a booking already made! However, the girl behind the desk did speak very good english, which was handy as I have to admit - my Italian is horrendous!

I stayed at the hostel for 6 days, so saw lots of people come and go. I did quite enjoy the experience as the hostel in itself is a nice place.

Unique Quality: The rooms are very clean and tidy, and have en-suite bathrooms (which is nice, although you are still sharing with 7 other people!). They also have lockers which you give a €10 deposit for and get back at the end of your stay. My room (I'm not sure if they all have this) had a balcony - which was quite nice, but generally used by the smokers.

The hostel has no food facilities (except for breakfast), but there is a pizza takeaway menu which you can order from - just order at reception. It is about a 10 minute walk to the nearest cafe.

They also have internet access (you can buy a €5 euro card for an hour), and a late curfew (1pm).

Directions: Don't try to get the number 14 bus!! Take No 6 bus from Porta Nuova and then walk up the hill. Alternatively, the No 3 goes direct to the door, but I never found out where you could get on that!

• Liolio's Profile Photo

Cheapest accomodation in Bergamo

I stayed for one night in a family room at this hostel. We came at night, at about 1 o'clock and the hostel staff did not have any problems about it, we just had to say it in advance. The hostel was clean, the price for one person in a family room was 18 euros (breakfast and bedsheets included), but you must have a membership card or buy a one-night stamps which cost 3 euros per person (although the staff tried to sell it for 5 euros instead of 3...). I liked the view from the room window and the atmosphere in a hostel - lot of young people chatting and spending time together. What I did not like was a breakfast - quite old bread and not so much of choice to eat, I stayed a bit hungry :) Nevertheless, for this price it is the cheapest place to stay in Bergamo and I say good value for money.

Directions: If you come by car, print the map and follow the streets. It is not enough to take a map loaded on the ostello internet page, better to have a more detailed one

• chrismj's Profile Photo

One of very few cheap options

My first trip here was not a big success. When I arrived they had cancelled my reservation and were full. I slept on their kitchen table. Things seem to have improved but I suggest you confirm your booking. :-)

It's very popular, especially in summer. Private rooms book out very early in winter too.

It's a short bus ride to either the centre of the lower town or the upper town. And very convenient for the stadium if you feel like catching an Atalanta game (see my tip on that)

A dorm bed costs about 12 euro, including a basic breakfast

Unique Quality: The place is clean and pretty friendly. Never seen much of party atmosphere though, if that's what you're hoping for.

Nice views of the hills around.

Directions: Taxi from the train station is around 10 euro. Bus number 6 goes from Porta Nuova (near station) Get out a stop or two after the weird looking church. Then up steep stairs to top of hill.No. 3 goes from the upper town (funicular) to the hostel door.

• buzzz's Profile Photo

Hostels are the way to Go

This was our first stay in a hostel. It was clean, great facilities ie. laundry, vending machines with hot and cold drinks, ice cream, snacks etc. use of fridge and microwave, satalite TV. We had a family room with en suite bathroom. We had to make up our own beds and then strip off the sheets at the end of our stay and put them in the laundry basket which was fine. In the TV area we chatted with people from all over the world. It was much friendlier than a hotel. The only down side was it was a bit noisy but earplugs soon solved that problem.

Unique Quality: Breakfast is provided. Juice, coffee, bread rolls, butter and jam. You can use the laundry room in the afternoon and do a full wash and dry for 8 euro. Large towels can be hired for 2 euro. It has a lovely sunny patio area with plenty of tables and chairs.

• barrikello's Profile Photo

A clean, decent place

The Bergamo YH hostel is not really one of the best in the world but it is clean and located in a green, peaceful area of the city.
    Considered the pricey accommodation - not always clean - that Bergamo offers, I would advise this, but book in advance, especially from April to September.

Unique Quality: Its rooms are en suite but some share the shower with the next. Internet access and laundry. Some rooms have view over Citta Alta.

Directions: Monterosso Area, 3 kms North East of the Center, near the Stadium. Served by Bus # 14

• Bergamo hostel

We flew with Ryan Air to Bergamo airport late at nigh, so thought it would be better to stay there over night. We had to take a taxi from the airport and it cost about 13 euros. The hostel was nice, a bit far from the city centre though, but nice view up to the mountains and the rooms were clean and comfy. 14 euros with breakfast and sheets.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Hostel

Yes, there is a hostel in Bergamo, for those who are on budget travelings.

Unique Quality: I cannot tell you much about the hostel because I didn't sleep there. However, knowing some other Italian hostels I think it might be recommendable.

Directions: Citta Bassa