Via Regina 40, Cernobbio, Lake Como, 22012, Italy

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Villa D'Este

Go ahead and splurge!

by TripAdvisor Member AVIDEATER

Everything you have read here is true!!!

This is a truely fabulous place.

Room was 890 euros per night for the exclusive jr. suite in main house.

My wife and I had a big lunch that cost us $300 ($100 for the wine) but we did get to sit 10 feet away from Billy Joel and his wife!
Dinner at Non Solo Pasta? restaurant was interesting. Only 5 tables in the restaurant. A large buffet followed by pasta, cheese then dessert!? Way too much food!!!! I can't figure out why such a small restaurant in this large resort.

Work out room needs to be brought up to date. Some machines are as old as the hotel.

First class all the way! Service at it's finest from the minute you arrive until the moment you leave.

Everyone makes you feel like a million bucks (afterall, that's pretty close to what your bill is when you leave!! But it's all worth it!!)

If you have $2000 that you would like to spend for a truly memorable experience, I would highly recommend you stay at least one night at Villa D'Este. You will not regret it!

a splendid setting

by TripAdvisor Member druu

our second recent stay at the Villa d'Este was as to be expected. Spectacular. We were upgraded from a normal room to a junior suite without even asking. The food was spectacular. The Veranda is definitely the restaurant to dine in. While it is more formal, one will not feel out of place to order Veal cutlet Milanese style, with French Fries. For lunch, one must eat at the poolside restaurant. I highly recommed the freshly made pasta of the day. The Gnocchi is the best that i have ever had. The setting is to die for. Who wouldn't love Lago di Como. While the other all service of the staff was quite attentive, I have always found the concierge there to be extremely rude and quite arrogant. He had barely any knowledge of Como at one point directing us to a silk shop that wasn't where he said it was on the map. I do have to say however that if one does like to stay where the natives stay, this is not the place to do so. All one will find at the Villa d'Este are primarily Americans and English people. Overall, the Villa d'Este is the place to stay while in Northern Italy.

Nice yes. The best in Italy, no...

by TripAdvisor Member AmoItalia

We spent 3 nights here at the end of March. We had a "junior suite" with a nice lake and pool view with a lovely little balcony. This is a hotel that I had to been looking forward to staying at for years, but when checking in I was immediately let down buy the reception area. The staff was very nice and accomodating but the check in/out area was very average looking as were the hallways and common area's inside the main building. Our room was nice and large with plenty of furniture, but that's about all I can say. There was just no "wow factor" (with the exception of the beautiful lake outside the windows) that I had been expecting from reading all of the reviews of this hotel. The bathroom was also simply nice. It had nice marble counters and floors, but was in a strange L shape that wasn't comfortable to negotiate, especially at night.
The staff was, without exception, wonderful. From the room service delivery people to the concierge, we always received impecable service.
The food ranged from excellent to ridiculously overpriced. (First day there my son wanted a snack and we ended up paying 18 euro for a very sad looking grilled cheese sandwhich!)
For the amount of money spent here, it really wasn't anything worth going back for. I feel like I've seen Villa D'Este, been there done that. I could name at least 5 other hotels in Italy in which I look forward to returning to, but Villa D'Este is not one of them. If I find myself visiting Como/Cernobbio in the future, I will not hesitate to save a few thousand euro and stay elsewhere.

One of life's experiences

by TripAdvisor Member JLD51

Wy wife and I stayed at the Villa d'Este on our honeymoon for two nights. We have stayed in some very good hotels over the years, sometimes with mixed feelings, particularly regarding the qualty of staff. However, from the moment we walked through the front door, we were welcomed with great warmth and friendliness. This continued to be the case throughout our stay. We were upgraded to a junior suite and upon our entry to the room, found a bottle of champane on ice. Nothing was too much trouble, including little requests that you just know would get forgotten at some other hotels.
The breakfast buffet has to be experienced - (including smoked salmon and cheese). We didn't eat at the hotel at nightime, but did enjoy a good (if expensive) lunch on the sundeck.
Generally the price of drinks and bar food matched what you would expect to pay in a five star London hotel.
The grounds are magnificent - sweeping up a series of parallel ornemental waterfalls to a large marble sculpture. There are good walks up the banks at the side of the hotel which pass in and out of wooded shade, giving good views of the hotel and the lake. The view just from the back of the hotel is stunning - right on the waterfront.

The price is steep - there's no getting away from that. For a special treat it was certainly worth it, though two nights were enough for us. One thing we felt could have been provided was a free transfer from the landing stage at Cernobbio to the hotel - we were charged 15 euros on our bill despite the journey taking about two or three minutes. At least they sent along a shiny new BMW to pick us up!

Overall a very memorable and enjoyable stay.

Villa D'Este heaven

by TripAdvisor Member Trumpster

Closest place to heaven on earth! Staff, facilities & food well worth the investment!. Consistency of their "offer" is tremendous!

Lilu and Ruri in San MarinoLilu and Ruri in San Marino

My treasure and I©My treasure and I©

Daddy in Como lake©Daddy in Como lake©

Cernobbio by JelenaCernobbio by Jelena

Transportation to Cernobbio

by CapeLady

Can you tell me how to get from the Milan Airport (Malpensa) to Cernobbio? Is there a bus from the airport and then do I have to take a ferry to Cernobbio? Your help would be appreciated.

by mccalpin

First, no need to take a ferry, since Cernobbio is on the same side of the lake as Milan and Malpensa.

Second, one way to get there would be to take the Ferrovie Nord (a private railway company) directly from the airport to Como, and then take a local bus to Cernobbio (which is right next door). Note that there will be a change of train in Saronno.

Look at http://www.fnmgroup.it/website/lenord/en/orari_e_news/content.php and enter "Malpensa" (it will fill in the "Aeroporto"), and "Como" (I don't know which station will be best for you vis-a-vis the bus to Cernobbio, but for schedules, it won't matter as all three stations are close together on the same line).

Alternatively, you could take a bus from Malpensa straight to Como - see http://www.sptcomo.it/malpensa.php (look farther down for the English).

hahaha, I just realized that while Cernobbio is on the same side of the lake as Malpensa, Como is somewhat around the corner, so that there are both buses and ferries from Como to Cernobbio. So, if you want to take the ferry, if you take the train, go to Como Lago, which should be near the docks (I assume - I haven't actually been there), then take a ferry that leaves about every 30 minutes (looking at tomorrow's schedule) for a 13 minute ride to Cernobbio. Note that the buses run even more often. Hmmmn, it looks like the bus to Cernobbio stops in Piazza Matteotti in Como - this is quite close to the Lago train station...so even if the train station is not near the ferry docks, you'll be able to take a bus instead...

Is that a start?

Bill

by nicolaitan

SPT offers several busses a day from Malpensa to Como although, as I recently discovered with embarrassment there are two different schedules on the internet. In any case, at least one of those busses doesn't just stop in Como but continues up the west side of the lake to Menaggio and has to pass through Cernobbio to get there.

by mccalpin

Lew, I noticed on the SPT website (which hopefully has the correct times, as it is the bus comapny's website) something about connections to Menaggio, but it implied that it was a connection in Como, not a through bus - see http://www.sptcomo.it/coincidenze.php and see what you think of it.

If it is a through bus, yes, I am sure that it goes through Cernobbio...but I am not sure that it stops in Cernobbio...well, I am sure that when the OP gets to Malpensa, he/she can ask the bus driver, since it's the same bus company that goes from Malpensa to Como and Como to Cernobbio...

Surprisingly, if I remember the websites correctly, the train is actually cheaper...

Bill