Grand Hotel Di Como

Grand Hotel di Como
Booking.com Venere.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Como

He guards the lakeside entranceHe guards the lakeside entrance

The lakeThe lake

Bellagio viewBellagio view

Walking by the lakeWalking by the lake

Suggestions for a three-day stay in Lake Como area

by vdraward

My husband and I are travelling to the Lake Como area in September. We will be taking a plane from Paris to Milan and then thought we'd rent a car to drive up to the area. We have booked a hotel in Mezzegra - which is in what they call the Tremezzina area. Has anyone ever stayed here? If so, was it easy to find by car. Does anyone know how far Mezzegra is from the town of Como itself?
Once in Mezzegra, can we drive to other Lake Como towns such as Bellagio, Mennagio and Varenna? Or - can we only reach those towns by ferry?
Does anyone have any "sightseeing" recommendations while in this area? Also - how about good restaurants. We are hoping to use Mezzegra as our base but want to explore the other towns/area by car.

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way, any car rental agencies that someone can recommend?

Thank you - all suggestions welcome!

Re: Suggestions for a three-day stay in Lake Como area

by microsensazione

Mezzegra is about 30km far from Como Lake, Western shore, and reachable by car following the route SS340.

There are ferries from Menaggio (about 7km Northern from Mezzegra) to Bellagio or to Varenna in which you can transport your car (read careful all agreements with the car renter because sometimes it could be they ban to transport cars on boats).
About boats time tables, take a look on:

My opinion considering you have already booked hotel in Mezzegra.
I was thinking to suggest you to reach Como by train and use only boats but I think Mezzegra is not reachable by boat (only by bus or car). So I think the best and flexible choice is "hire car" in Milan Airport.
On the other hand, I notice it's better to limit your movements by car because it's quite difficult to park on villages served by ferries (e.g. Varenna and Bellagio) and it's also quite slow the speed around the lake excluding the route SS36 on Eastern lake side.
Anyway, I consider you'd like to explore the lake area by car so I recommend to discover some panoramas "climbing" the mountains around the lake. Some years ago I went by car from "Varenna" to "Esino Lario" (at about 10pm) and came back the morning after: amazing panoramas!
Some internet sites could help you to plan your car trips:
Be careful about "time to reach the destination". I suggest to add a good 30%!!!

About car rental agencies. Last evening I was talking about with a friend of mine who works in Europcar agency. He has told me Europcar become convenient compared with Hertz or Avis if you hire car for periods longer than 7 days. I have not yet checked it but I know this my friend very well and I consider him very honest.

Restaurants...
Everytime I post something about food in Como Lake I recommend "IL CAVATAPPI" restaurant located in Varenna ( http://www.ilcavatappiwine-food.it/ ). I was very very satisfied about its food and wine so I always suggest it!

Feel you welcome in my Country!
Fabrizio

Re: Suggestions for a three-day stay in Lake Como area

by vdraward

Grazie Fabrizio! All the information you have provided is very, very helpful. I cannot wait to visit Italy again. I have been once before (both my parents were from Italy and I still have family there) and I LOVE your country.

Travel Tips for Como

Elegant Villa

by draguza

I do not remember the name of this beautiful Villa, but I came across it many times while following the Promenade on the Lake.

Unfortunately the Villa is not open to the public, as it serves nowadays for private meetings, gathering, conferences and events. Last time I passed by, people were having inside a sort of rich "buffet" and they were all dressed with elegant clothes, maybe a wedding? Pity we were not invited to join them!

Around Lake Como...

by coceng

I was told that only in certain areas of Lake Como that we could go for a swim because the water is murky...
I didn't even wet my feet when I was there but the scenery is just so beautiful !
I remember smoking my lung out though when I was sitting on the embankment...

Dog poop pick up

by Aurorae

Something I'm very impressed with - machines that automatically eject equipment for dog poop removal! You insert 20 cents and you get a plastic bag that you should use to pick up your dog's poop in case you haven't brought one of your own! Genial invetion, to keep this beautiful place clean!

The city library

by d_d

All the students usually go to study at the main city library. Here every afternoon after 2 pm, you can find many people and obviously many good books to read (also in english). The library is in the city center.

Aero Club Como

by Aurorae

Aero Club Como offers airplane rentals (if you have the piloting license, of course :))), but only if you've got a good pocket, as it's a quite expensive hobby. You can also rent a tour over the lake, organized by the club. Even if you don't fly, it's always interesting to watch the planes taking off and landing on the lake! :) And then driving out of the lake on the landing gears! :))

Comments