Via Coloniola 43, Como, 22100, Italy

More about Como

At Piazza del DuomoAt Piazza del Duomo

Street in BellagioStreet in Bellagio

Il Duomo in ComoIl Duomo in Como

Yummy hot chocolate with whipped creamYummy hot chocolate with whipped cream

How to get from Como or Lugano to Gardone Riviera on Garda Lake?

by NadiyaV

I am going to holidays to Garda Lake. I already booked a hotel in Gardone Riviera, but now I have problems to find out how to get there from Lugano using a public transport. Are there any buses that go from Lugano or Como directly to Garda Lake? And what is the closest point near town Gardone Riviera with bus connection? For the trains, I think that the only option is to go via Milano and then with the bus, which seems to take quite a lot of time...If anybody can help me with this information, it would be great!!! Grazia :)

Re: How to get from Como or Lugano to Gardone Riviera on Garda Lake?

by mccalpin

"Are there any buses that go from Lugano or Como directly to Garda Lake?"
Only if they can swim - OK, not that bad, but there several lakes in the way.

"what is the closest point near town Gardone Riviera with bus connection?"
More importantly, what is the closest town near Gardone Riviera with a train AND bus connection? - answer: probably Desenzano del Garda (at the southwest corner of the lake).

"I think that the only option is to go via Milano and then with the bus, "
I imagine it will be much faster to take the train from Lugano to Desenzano del Garda (as little as 3 hours, even with the change in Milan), then catch a bus up to Gardone Riviera, as buses run frequently up and down the 2 sides of the lake.

(yes, through Milan is not the most direct path, but the trains that run in and out of Milan are much faster and have better international connections, so going through Milan is actually faster even if a little out of the way)

I know we've posted the bus schedule before, let me see if I can find it...

Bill

Re: How to get from Como or Lugano to Gardone Riviera on Garda Lake?

by mccalpin

Yeah, here it is: http://www.aptv.it/pdf/80.pdf

You can read a bus schedule, yes? Top to bottom is the direction of the bus, so you want the second table. It starts at "DESENZANO - St. F.S." (this is the train station - it's typical for bus stops to be very close to the train station), and stops (for you) at "Gardone - Autostazione" (Autostazione: refers to a bus station).

You want Line 27 (upper right).

Note that the trip takes 30-40 minutes. Note that the bus departures are generally times to be about 30 minutes after the train arrives to let you off (another nice Italian feature - buses are sync'd with trains).

OK?

Oh, please tell me if you plan on doing this on a Sunday, because the schedule will be different...

Bill

Travel Tips for Como

My best football related moment in Como

by Calcio

Normally when I go to games I'll go all by myself. Out of 50 games I see, I'm all alone on 40 of them.
So everytime I get someone with me it's a very good moment! :)

My best game in Como was in april 2003 when I went there to see Como-Modena. With me I had a great american friend, and we had a great time together, although the game was quite much crap...

The weather was fantastic, so we were sitting there in just t-shirts, enjoying the sun, and watching the football.

My friend hadn't been to so many games before, so her fondest memory of that game was all the bad words the italian guys around us used for the referee and the opponents. :D

Takumachi sister city

by Aurorae

I hope I reembered the name well, if not, my apologies... In front of the Aero Club, there is a small park with this bizarre and hideous monument, that was errected to celebrate anniversary of sister city of Como, Takumachi in Japan. There are inscriptions in Japanese and Italian, and the sculptures show children trapped in strange positions, as if tortured, I really thought it was awful. :(

annual Palio competition

by Flamegirl

Back in 1159, Como aided the holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, called Barbarossa (Redbeard) in his defeat of Milan. At that time, Barbarossa had a castle built on the mountain overlooking Como - still there today - which is called Castel Baradello.

The Palio del Baradello (which dates back to the 1970s) takes its name from that castle, and its three competitions evoke the tournaments and celebrations of medieval times.

It takes place every September, and around a dozen teams representing different local villages take part, dressed up in mock-Medieval dress. It's also an excuse for processions in costume, historical reconstructions, food tasting and other attractions. The opening ceremony is the first Saturday of the month.

On the following day (the first Sunday) the competitions begin with the "giostra saracena", the jousting competition where participants race on horseback at a rotating Turk.

On the second Saturday you can see "la cariolata", almost like a wheelbarrow race where pairs of men race up and down the Via Milano, one pushing whilst the other sits on top, taking turns.

Lastly on the second Sunday comes the "regata delle lucie"; lucie are the old-fashioned Comasco boats (see my travelogue "more photos!" for a picture).

If you're in Como in September, it's worth taking a look!

Christmas play in Piazza Duomo

by icunme

A significant number of local residents participated in the Nativity production staged for the community in front of the Duomo today, December 9th, 2007. A very professional enactment of the Nativity featured a choir, overhead lighting, excellent sound, and even a few sheep and a huge camel in addition to the principle actors and numerous children. See more photos on the Nativity travelogue.

Cernobbio

by Aurorae

It comes right after Como on the lakeside, actually, Como continues into Cernobbio and you can practically walk there, they merged into one town in fact. Cernobbio is a lovely picturesque town with narrow streets, colourful houses, nice pier and lake boat transport station, wonderful square with some heroic monument and incredibly nice restaurant all in glass right there.
It's a place of many chic conferences, as they're all held in the famous pompous villas.
This is the site of the fictional Villa Baglianello, the elegant family-home-run-pensione featured in the film "A Month by the Lake." Nearby is one of the grandest hotels in all Europe, the Villa D'Este, whose rooms are almost like museum galleries and whose grounds boast Italy's only "floating swimming pool" (it actually sits atop the lake). Up the road is Toriggia, where you can visit Villa Passalacqua.
I find the name Cernobbio hilarious, because it reminds me incredibly of the famous Ukrainian nuclear disaster spot Chernobyl, as the prononuce is almost identical! :) So I always say I've been to Chernobyl. :))
If you want to know more, visit my Cernobbio page!

Comments