2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Travelocity Hotels.com Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

• lifeisatrip's Profile Photo

Right on the lake!

We had a very small room, but has a balcony overlooking the lake. The shower stall does not have a door and thus water got all over the floor.

Service was above average. Breakfast buffet was not the best but sufficient. Scrambled eggs was served in addition to cold items.

Parking was an additional €20 per day.

Unique Quality: The great view of the lake and it's close proximity to the cruise boats. It is also a short distance to the center of town/shopping/restaurant area.

Directions: Right by the lake.

• a favourite of mine!

We stayed at this hotel in September 2007. Our second stay after a previous visit in 2003.
    The hotel offers everything you could want and with such a great location.
    Both visits have been immensely enjoyable.

Unique Quality: The hotel has a great location, and offers fantastic views of the lake.

We used it as a base for travelling to Monza for the F1 Grand Prix - it seems most people travelling for the GP stay in Milan, so Como offered easier access to transport and the hotel's only a short walk from San Giovanni station to catch the train straight into Monza.

I must also praise the staff. In advance, I contacted the hotel to see if F1 driver Jarno Trulli's wine was available at the restaurant. They assured me it could be, and when I arrived in Italy to hear the story of how this was achieved - personal calls from the restaurant manager to the vineyard - I was convinced that the staff will go the extra mile to help their guests have an enjoyable stay.

• d_d's Profile Photo

a room in front of the lake

THE HOTEL IS LOCATED RIGHT IN THE CITY CENTRE ON COMO'S MAIN SQUARE FACING THE LAKE
    # of Rooms: 84
    Hotel Rating: Star Rating 4
    129.0EUR (135.24 $) up to 242.0 EUR (253.71 $)
    for LAKEVIEW JUNIOR SUITE

More about Hotel Metropole e Suisse

Nice hotel with good location

We stayed 2 nights here on our honeymoon and liked the hotel, but didn't love it. We stayed in a Standard room, which was decent sized with an average bathroom, but we did have a nice balcony with 2 chairs overlooking the water and main piazza (ask for this). Overall it was clean, the staff was not overy kind but okay, and it was easy to get to. I would recommend staying here but would be sure to check out other places before booking again.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member inSD

I had a weekend in between two busy weeks of business travel, and this was a great place to spend it. The hotel was excellent. I forgot to request an early check-in when booking, but waited just 20 minutes and was into my room before 11:00 a.m. I did receive a room with view of the lake as request. The only problem with the room was that it smeeled a bit like cigarette smoke, but I opened the window, and it was fine. Good thing the weather was warm, though. Breakfast was very good, plentiful, and well staffed. A quick recommendation for dining in Como: the restaurants near the Como Nord train station looked horrible... touristy with someone trying to drag tourists in. I took the time to wanter the back streets of Como and found a great spot for dinner. Don't get suckered into the tourist traps close to the lake, especially the east edge.

Perfect for a Como city visit

by TripAdvisor Member jackieussss

Having read some of the reviews I was a bit hesitant about this hotel. We had to stay in the city because of an early flight. We stayed here for two nights. The staff was pleasant, helpful, and spoke English very well. When we asked for information on the ferries, the conceirge circled in a bright marker which ferries we could choose from and explained the differences. We were so glad we picked this hotel because we got so lost in Como & then we figured out all we had to do was follow signs to the lake because luckily this hotel is immediately in front of the lake-just for that alone it was worth it to stay there. After unloading the staff parked our car for us in the adjacent garage. I had booked this online and gotten a good discount. I requested a quiet room & feared they wouldn't give one to me b/c of the price I was paying. I was wrong, we had a very quiet room. No street noise at all, & further more, no hotel noise. Even further we had a door separating the bedroom from the exterior door so it was made even quieter with no disturbances from other guests. They even had pay per view English movies, something I didn't experience at hotels more than twice this price in Italy. The air worked well. The room was large. Our bathroom was a good size. There was the smallest bit of grout that needed to be regrouted, but no smell at all & certainly nothing to fuss over. Our car was all ready to go at 6:30 a.m. & we were quite impressed with that. This hotel was a pleasant surprise & the pricing was accurate as we felt we more than got our money's worth.

Definitely Not a 4 Star Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member StevieF8

We chose this hotel because of its location, 4 star rating and reviews on Trip Advisor. We upgraded to superior rooms and found the accommodation very basic. We were allocated a refurbished room, which was clearly unfinished. The bathroom was extremely small. There was no bath just a shower, which was very small. As there was no window, the extractor fan caused the shower curtain to cling. I had to hold the curtain every time my husband took a shower. When we arrived, there were no fittings in the bathroom ie: Toilet roll holder or towel rail – these were fitted the day after we checked in. The bedroom was very clean but basic – no drawers just a shelf, no curtains. There was a connecting door to the next room. It would appear that 2 rooms had been split into 4. Late at night – midnight - and early in the morning – 5am - we could clearly hear the guests in the adjoining room.
The window shutter was broken when we arrived and wasn’t fixed until the following day.
When we tried to speak to a member of staff about our room, we were told we had been allocated a newly refurbished superior room.
Our friends were allocated a more traditionally furnished room, which also did not live up to expectations.
We opted for breakfast, which at 12eu pp per day was greatly over priced. We looked for alternative breakfast places but found nowhere suitable open at this time of year. Even McDonalds didn’t open before 10.30am.
We have stayed in number of 4 star hotels in the UK, Italy, USA, Singapore and Australia all of which had better room facilities and breakfasts.
Immediately before travelling to Como, we stayed in a 4 star hotel in Milan. Our rooms were comfortable and at £70 pp per night including a comprehensive breakfast was good value.
At £140 per night including breakfast, this hotel is greatly overpriced and over rated. This hotel is 3 star accommodation, at best, at 5 star prices.

Horrible Scammers

by TripAdvisor Member TraveledWise

Out of 4 weeks of traveling throughout Italy in May and June, and a seasoned travel in Europe in general, this was the worst experience in a hotel. What makes the hotel even worst are the three guys running the show at the front desk. These guys are complete scam artists and not to be trusted with anything; and if you are an American traveler be prepared to be discriminated against even further. GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING if you choose to stay at this hotel. Do not even trust your confirmed reservations will be honored as booked through their own site or any other sites. As for the rooms...extremely old, dated, dingy and dirty. The shower is a joke. Even as a petite person taking a shower in the sideway tub with hand held shower was a joke, and be prepare for a pool of water to be cleaned up for no shower curtain and a narrow sideway tup to stand in. Many other wonderful hotels in Como to choose from. Breakfast was the poorest "spread" we saw in Italy at about $30 USD even though it was to be included in our room, but again not honored.

Italy

by PrincessJewels

"Lago di Como"

I have relatives in Pianello del Lario, in the Lombardy region. We visited them for the first time in October, 2004. My son was in school in Italy for six months as a part of the Eduction Abroad Program at the University of California, Santa Barbara. We stayed in a hotel on Lake Como; the Metropole Suisse. It was beautiful there. We spent a day in Bellagio as well.

"Lucca"

Tuscany was a dream. The walled city had so much charm.

"Santa Margherita"

Ocean view, lovely. Traveled to Venice, Trento, Bolzano and Florence as well on this trip. Florence was my favorite. Beautiful art, sculptures.

Comments