Viale Rosselli 20, Como, Lake Como, 22100, Italy

TornoTorno

The LighthouseThe Lighthouse

Ancient wallAncient wall

by mikestalder

Hello, I'm coming to the Como area for the first time, to visit family around Como. I'm first going to Magreglio (uphill from Bellagio) and would greatly appreciate any advice on how to get there. I'm flying into Malpensa and would like to know if I take the San Giovanni train, or the LeNord train. And then which bus? Would it be easier to go to Menaggio and then take a ferry to Bellagio, and then up the hill?

Thank's in advance.

by Callavetta

We took the train to Como then taxi to Bellagio. The ferry is a beautiful option but takes quite awhile. Alternatively, take the train to Varenna and then a short taxi to Bellagio.

by mccalpin

Hmmmmn, I've never made this trip, but I see that the comune's website suggests the following:
1. take the LeNord train to Asso
2. take the A.S.F. bus to Megreglio
actually, it's pretty straightforward, if not particularly fast.

Can you read Italian? The comune's website for transport is at http://www.magreglio.eu/index.php?Servizi:Trasporti

The link on that page for the LeNord page worked but the page it took me to didn't work right, so maybe you should just go straight to www.lenord.it. This site has English, if you need it. You want the Milan branch. Use the pull down menu to start with Malpensa airport and end at Asso.

To go to Asso from Malpensa, note that it routes you to "Milano Bovisa", which is a station on the way to Milano Cadorna (the station on the northwestern edge of the city center). From here, you catch a train to Asso. Thus, you don't go to Como at all.

The bus schedule link worked, and showed buses about every hour or hour and a half to Megreglio (on the way to Bellagio).

It is important that you look at the date you are going (if it's not too far in the future), because I would expect both the train service and the bus service to be reduced on Sundays and holidays.

Anyway, this whole trip may be as much as 3-4 hours, depending on the length of connections. And I can't imagine that it would be as scenic as a ferry ;-). But I assume the comune recommended for some reason.

Take a look and if you hasve questions, come back to us...

Bill

Dear Bill,

Thanks so much for your advice. I was able to find everything I needed. I used an online translator from some words, but got the schedule to Asso. Should be a piece of cake.

Bill,

Thank you very much for all your help. Right now I'm sitting in Magreglio writing this. The Malpensa Express to Bovisa, Bovisa to Asso worked perfectly. Even with my very poor Italian, I was able to get from train to train, and then bus to Magreglio without any problem. Again, graze!

by mccalpin

Yippee! It's always a delight to hear that people are able to get to their destinations, despite our well-intentioned advice ;-)

Have a great time!

Bill

Travel Tips for Como

Piazza del Duomo

by tpal

The Piazza del Duomo seems to be the emotional heart of the city. Named obviously for the Cathedral it is a great place to window shop. It's also fun to people watch from one of the many cafes on its perimeter. You will find that the privilege of being in the center of the action will cost a bit more. Two cappuccinos and two cookies cost us ten euro but then we did get to share our table the pigeons.

Around Lake Como...

by coceng

I changed some money when I was in Como then walking around the place.
Mot knowing the name of the buildings that I saw but I took them away in my camera. They sure would be my memory when in Lake Como !
Here on my photo is showing a statue...

Army line-up :)

by Aurorae

Sea gulls in front of villa Olmo, absolutely adore to stay on this fence, all lined up like an army of soldiers! Who is the capitain?! ;)
They are very funny! Approach slowly not to scare them off! :)

Fishing

by croisbeauty

Lots of locals practice fishing in Lake of Como water. While the others do it from the lakeshore, behind the huge monument to the victims of the war, this "signore" stands on the edge of tiny lake stretch, i hope he had more luck.

Sports on the lake

by d_d

In summer, you can practice many sports on the lake.
You can sail, water-ski, play rowing or diving and so on.
You can contact:
-Canottieri Lario, via Puecher 6, Como, tel. 031.574.720.
-Diving Center Como, viale Geno 14, tel. 031.300.544.

Comments