Grand Hotel Brun

2. Courtyard of Casa Verdi2. Courtyard of Casa Verdi

Sightseeing/shopping on a Monday

by oRi_5

Hi all,

I'm going to be travelling on a business trip to Milan in the second week of March and made arrangements to go up a day earlier so I can sightsee/shop a bit since I've never been to Milan before.

After sorting this out, I started doing some research and it seems that many places and shops are closed on a Monday! Can someone give me any ideas of things to do on a Monday please? I will be travelling alone before I meet my business associates the following afternoon.

Also, as many suggested in this forum, I looked up options to book the Last supper visit and came across some tickets that include a tour of Milan also. Has anyone booked either of these 2 tours? Any feedback? Or can anyone recommend which seems to be the best option? There's a eur20 difference in price between both...

OR

Also, which is the best area to look at for hotels in Milan? I'm looking for something on a low budget (around €60) and so far all hotels I've found recommended in this forum have been more expensive. So I'd at least like an indication of the best area to look around.

One other thing... is it easy to travel with luggage on the underground? I plan on travelling from the airport to my hotel...and to my secondary hotel by public transport.

Sorry for all the questions!!! :) hope someone has some helpful answers!

Thanks in advance.

oRi

by swissfondue

Its my understanding that entry to The Last Supper is not available on any Monday even for tours.

If you are not meeting your business associates until Tuesday afternoon you could try getting a ticket for early on the Tuesday morning. From memory the first groups view the fresco from 8.15 -8.30am.

May I suggest that if you cant get a ticket and really want to see The Last Supper you could still arrive early and wait to see if anyone fails to pick up prebooked tickets. People were doing this when I was there.

As for Milan on a Monday, the Duomo is worthy of an extended visit and the rooftop views and close up architecture overload is wonderful.

You could easily spend a few hours shopping. Outside of the well known designer streets of Via Montenapoleone and Via Manzoni, head to Corso Buenos Aires for some great mid budget shopping. The Navigli area is also very interesting.

I have only stayed in the Brera district which is probably a bit more upmarket than you are after.

by Paolomusc

Firstly, have you tried booking.com as I have used them on a number of accassions and find them very good and reasonable. You don't pay up front, but at the hotel. I got Hotel Demidorf in Milan from them. This is near the rail station and not too bad a rate. As to what to do, there are the obvious tourist things like the Galleries, the Duomo and La Scala (They do tours) but check out the Castle and take a coffee across the road from it and marvel at the huge fountain with its varying displays. Milan is a city to 'experience' more than sightsee. Have a good time.

by sanasahil

I have found this site for you, it enlist the daily events of milan, or may be you will get some idea what to do :)

by swissfondue

Yes booking.com is an excellent site that I have used many times with no problems. If you are looking for something on a low budget you may have to be prepared to stay further out in the suburbs, possibly a handful of tram stops from the historic centre (Centro Storico)

The Malpena Express train will take you into Milan Centrale. You could have a look for hotels around that area (not the best location in my opinion but it is only for one night) or take the metro to Loreto for example and stay near Corso Buenos Aires. Hotel Malta is very basic but may be within your price range.

Travel Tips for Milan

Ideas for tourism in Milan

by microsensazione

Hi!
About quick city tour in Milan I'd suggest "Piazza del Duomo" and "Castello Sforzesco" (about 1km North West far from "Piazza del Duomo").

I usually suggest to reach "Piazza del Duomo" by underground "Line 1 (red)" or "Line 3 (yellow)" depending on where you are located. Underground is not so dangerous but it's better you take care of your wallet.

These are the most wanted sites in Milan by tourists anyway, depending on time you want to spend in Milan, I'd suggest to take a look on

Welcome in my Country!
Fabrizio

Gasoline

by mikaerkkila

When returning car back to airport and willing to refuel it, easy job can become hard during public holidays, like easter time. There are no staff at gas stations and the international credit cards (like Visa) are no accepted, only local bank cards... The only possibility is to use cash money or let car rental company refuel with with some etxra price.

Secondhand best shopping

by mauro_pd

Secondhand best shopping in Milan by Docks Dora... an old factory partially renewed to host a great secondhand store for trousers, shirts, jackets & many other stuff ... it deserves a quick visit even if you're not a 2ndhand fan. Away from the crowd located in via Toffetti.

More Shopping Bliss At Fashion Outlets

by Krystynn about Fashion and leather

This is a continuation from the previous list (above)....

Ciovassino Fashion Discount Store
(via Ciovassino, 3 - tel. 02809526).
Open from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
This is the factory outlet which produces clothings for designers like Givenchy, Sonia Rykiel etc. They offer very good deals especially on end-of-season collections and samples (I think they call it factory rejects... those that aren't 100% perfect).

Vidivi
Viale Elvezia 22
tel: (02) 33103108, Tuesday to Saturday, 9-12:30, 14:30-18:30
Whether you're a local, tourist or expatriate moving to Milan, the first thing you'll be looking at is to find items for your home. I had the good fortune to find this gem of a place (highly recommended to me by my Italian friends). Fans of Missoni (me!) will also drool here because you can find linens, rugs, bedspreads, quilts - mostly designed by Missoni going for 40% cheaper vis a vis the boutiques!! I bought a beautiful Missoni bedspread and some towels here.

I also highly recommend the La Botteguccia. It's a stock house offering really lovely stuffs like crystal and porcelain objects, and kitchen items at wholesale prices.
Address: via della Pergola, 11
Telephone: +39.026887580

By the way, I wouldn't dare recommend a store to you if I haven't already been there and done that. ;-) See above.

Coach to Central station

by Mazza1

My sister and I flew Ryan Air Stanstead to Bergamo, which is a popular airline with the budget jetsetter brigade! It is patronised by an interesting cross section of the public, appreciated by those who are fond of international travel but reluctant to spend £400 on a BA flight for the privilege of hopping across the channel and back.

The one-hour coach ride from Bergamo airport to central Milan was one colossal sprawl of businesses, factories and Mammouth style out-of-town shopping districts. A low lying thick fog shrouded us and our new surroundings in mystery as we left Orio Al Serio airport, and arrived through the city's main arteries into the centro città - perhaps unsurprisingly for a business centre in Northern Italy - dead as the night for a Friday evening!
We were immediately struck by the towering office blocks and neon signs of consumerist activity squaring up to the meglomaniacal grandeur of Central station and piazza.

Comments