Holiday Inn Milan Linate Airport

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 41% less but rated 23% lower than other 4 star hotels

More about Milan

Map showing Da Vinci landmarksMap showing Da Vinci landmarks

My sister, VTer JumpingwithNorman, MilanMy sister, VTer JumpingwithNorman, Milan

Train Station, Milan, Italy.Train Station, Milan, Italy.

5. Outside after the jazz concert5. Outside after the jazz concert

Tram No.27, Milan

by Strad

We are living New York City, going to visit Milan in a week. Just curious if they announce name on each stop, on trams or buses there in Milan.

Thank you!

Strad

by xymmot

not that i know of, or else it was in italian which i do not know.i carry a map and i pin point the place I need to go. On a bus I show the driver, on a train I count thestations an make sure I am heading the right direction

cheers tommy s

by tmpaca

You can ask here and for sure they know:

by Venelin

In some trams they do (in the newer green ones they always do) and in some they don't. It's a question of carelessness; I've heard announcements even in the 80+ years-old small trams, so the equipment is present. On buses they always announce the stops.
It's not such a big issue here: people tend to ask fellow travelers when in trouble. Drivers are normally also helpful enough.

Travel Tips for Milan

Gothic Age

by jubistuta79

Piazza DUomo: I never bored everytime I spent weekend at this piazza. You can see two differents tings here...Duomo with Gothic Age, and VE II more modern but classic building. What is Gothic? By the name.you already noticed. Get inside of church..you can feel the 'gothic'. Remember a dialogue from Da Vinci Code? 'why feel scared every time enter a church?' aha..dats Gothic! come to Milan..and feel it. Travellers prefer Rome, Venice and Florence...but Milan, many things to see!

Vorrei un gelato, per favore!

by Marpessa

When traveling in a country where english is not the main language I try to make an effort to speak the local language. Italian is a beautiful language and it isn't very hard to pick up the basics. I got a phrase book and a CD, which I put on my i-Pod, to help me learn some phrases. And while I was shy about trying to speak the language at first, by the end of my 2 weeks there I was ordering meals and ice-cream (gelato) all in Italian!

So here are some helpful phrases to get you started!

Hello/Goodbye (informal): Ciao
Open/Closed: aperto/chiuso
Entrance/Exit: entrata/uscita
Where is...?: Dov'e...?

and...
I didn't understand: non ho capito
Do you speak English?: Parla Inglese?

SHOPPING At Foxtown in Mendrisio (Switzerland)

by Krystynn

This AMAZING shopping center is located just after Lake Como and it's opened every day including Sunday from 11 am to 7 pm.

If you exit Mendrisio (second exit after crossing the border into Switzerland), you'll be able to catch a glimpse of Foxtown. Alternatively, you can take the train from Milano to Chiasso and then - a taxi to Foxtown.

Foxtown houses 4 levels of pure designer shopping bliss! I'm talking about buying Prada, Iceberg, Versace, Gucci and even Nike etc at rock bottom prices. Believe me, you'll go crazy here... Just imagine, you can get designer clothings at an even lower cost compared to the stock houses in Milan! Now I understand how the Italians could afford to look so well dressed every day! ;-)

In any case, this place makes a great weekend day trip because besides all this shopping to tempt even the strongest-willed woman, there's even a cafe, restaurant and casino. Good place (and good idea) to dump your boyfriend/hubby here before they start grumbling about your spending habits. ;-)

Milan's Best Music Store!!

by Krystynn about Ricordi

This is Milan’s version of the world famous HMV megastore or the Tower Records Store in NYC.

Conveniently located in Galleria Vittorio Emanuele aka Galleria, yeah... you guessed it - this is another one of my favorite places to hang-out because of the store's long opening hours. If you're learning Italian (like me), you can further enhance your learning experience by checking out the latest Italian pop songs at the listening booths (located on the 1st floor). After listening to some Italian pop songs, I must admit, I am pleasantly surprised by how great some of their songs are! (Thanks to 105FM radio station). ;-))
CDs, DVDs... Very reasonable. Your boyfriend/ husband will probably shop here.

Train travel in Italy

by sue_stone

I have now been to Italy several times and each time have travelled around this fabulous country by train.

Once you get the hang of it, train travel in Italy is easy. It is also a great way to see the beautiful countryside on the way to your next destination.

I have travelled a couple of times using a rail pass, but the last couple of visits have just purchased tickets for each individual trip as we went.

That said, we often have purchased tickets a day or two in advance - particularly if the particular train requires a seat reservation, or if it is a busy time of year.

Purchasing a little in advance also means that you don't miss the train you want to catch due to a huuuuuge queue for tickets...

Last trip we used the automatic ticket machines at the stations and found them excellent.

Also, I have travelled both first and second class, and didn't really find much difference - travel second class and you can use the extra money to buy more wine/food etc

Just remember with all tickets that you need to validate them in the small yellow ticket machines before you board your train.

Comments