Piazza Della Republica 17, Milan, Lombardy, 20124, Italy

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• MM212's Profile Photo

Principe di Savoia: Modern Old World Charm

One of Milan's best hotels, Principe di Savoia is housed in a Belle Epoque-style building. Though expensive beyond proportions (because we were in Milan during the furniture convention), a stay here is worth every one of your employer's pennies - I was here on business! Rooms are spacious, well-equipped, and combined modern amenities and bathrooms with old world style furniture. Despite its large size and being full, the hotel lived up to its name and nothing at all went wrong during my two night stay. Service was simple excellent. Within the hotel is the exquisite restaurant Acanto. The only disadvantage to the hotel is that it is located just outside the historic centre, which means a walk to the Duomo would be far from quick. The hotel offers free car service to downtown as a compensation. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Poor, very poor

For 300+ euros per night, you expect a quiet nights sleep.

Instead, we were kept awake all night (well past midnight) by a noisy wedding (noisy drumming, noisy band) going on downstairs in the hotel.

Called reception to complain. They refused to tell the band to turn down the volume. They also refused to refund the cost of the lost night's sleep.

Poor, very poor customer service. They couldn't care less.

Unique Quality: None.

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

One of Milan's Best

I was there for business purposes for a short period of time only, but I can still come with a pretty definite verdict - one of Milan's best places to stay.

Unique Quality: The outward appearance may seem deceptive, but it looks somewhat ordinary. An impression that vanishes as soon as yoou cross the threshold:))

Disclaimer:

If you have to pay for this place yourself, you'll more likely than not consider that it costs a bomb to spend a night here. Or, 'costa un'occhio', as Italians say...

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo

Like any major city, Milan has...

Like any major city, Milan has a full variety of accommodations in all sort of price ranges. The key thing is to visit when there is not a big convention taking place (good luck!). During my first expereience there, my friends and I thought it would be a piece of cake to book a hotel from the central train station once we've arrived. Didn't happen.

A friend of ours who was in Milan, tried calling every hotel in the city, but they were booked up due to a furniture convention that was taking place. The only available hotel that was centrally located was the 5-star 'Principe di Savoia.'

Tired and anxious for a hot bath, we decided to book a room there. Luckily the Front Desk manager knew our friend, so they upgraded us to a Junior Suite. Instead of getting a standard room for our '$350/night' payment, we were upgraded to a lovely suite with a marble floored bathroom, and all the amenities for royalty!

Although we never expected to pay that much for a hotel in Milan, after arriving from Venice where we paid $50 for accomodations......I must say it was worth every penny! The Hotel Principe di Savoia is a prestigious Milano hotel for 'rock stars and movie stars!' Although my friends and I don't fall into any of these categories, we enjoyed all the benefits from staying there!
    Avg prices could range around $300 USD per night. Ironically, this hotel tends to get booked up pretty quickly

Unique Quality: They have a great spa and workout room on the top floor of hotel. You can enjoy a panoramic view of the city while sweating it out on the treadmill!

Directions: Hotel Principe de Savoia Milan
    Piazza Della Repubblica, 17 - 20124
    Milano, Italy

Just a few minutes away from the Milan Centrale train station

• Sakura_Kobe's Profile Photo

Hotel Principe di Savoia

Unique Quality: This is the most refined hotel I have ever stayed. It has long tradition and history. When you look at their guests book, you will find some celebrities in it. Everything is in high quality and elegance. All the furniture in my room had graceful inlaid work of wood. Marbles were beautifully arranged in the large bath room. They were absolutely beautiful.

Directions: Pazza della Repubblica 17, 20124 Milano, Italia Tel:0262301 Fax:026595838

More about Hotel Principe Di Savoia

Hotel Principe di Savoia

by Memo_Karaca about Hotel Principe di Savoia

Located in Milan's business center and the focal point of Piazza della Republica, the Principe di Savoia is one of Europe's most highly regarded hotels. As of April 1, 2000, thanks to the newly built bridge the Principe di Savoia merges with the Duca di Milano resulting in one unique luxury property. This new hotel complex with 399 rooms and suites and one main entrance, offers a greater choice of exclusive accommodation.Meticulously restored to the highest standards, each guest room and suite is furnished in elegant nineteenth century Lombard style. Technology and efficiency
complement the charm of this world class establishment. The result is five-star service and comfort that continue a long tradition of privileged hospitality.

We stayed at The Grand Hotel...

by Sneaux1

We stayed at The Grand Hotel on Ognissanti in Florence. We stayed at the Principe di Savoia in Milan. Both were wonderful. But the view of the Arno River from our room at the Grand was unforgettable.

Not As Impressive As I'd Expected

by TripAdvisor Member helyn32

I recently stayed for 8 nights at the Principe di Savoia. I was there for Fashion Week and of course the Principe is a huge "scene." There are always people going in and out and the lobby bar is packed every single night. I'm not sure how it usually is outside of Fashion Week but I would presume it's quite a popular place to hang out.

My room was fine - the bed was large (two doubles pushed together) as was the bathroom (the tub leaked which caused a mess every time I showered). The room was very dark and the decor itself was dark and gilded (typical of an Italian hotel room).

Room service was slow and sometimes it took almost an hour for food to be delivered. The food was average at best and even awful at times. Of course you're charged an obscene amount for anything in the mini bar ($8 for a juice) and needless to say the room service charges are pretty outrageous as well.

I did not use the pool or gym facilities but I hear they are quite nice.

I have heard that the Westin, which is right across the busy street, is comparable (although slightly lower in hotel class).

The best hotel in Milan!

by TripAdvisor Member thegreattraveller

We stayed at the Principe di Savoia a few nights ago. Friends had recommended this hotel amongst two or three others, one of them being the Park Hyatt, where we initially checked in. The staff was very rude and the room was tiny so we checked out immediately and tried the Principe.

The staff was adorable and they have a lot! When we arrived there were 5 or 6 people standing outside, waiting to grab our luggage. I think I never needed to touch a door in this hotel (apart from our room), it's really amazing.

We noticed that this hotel is a business hotel and as we were on a leisure trip, this maybe was a little disturbing. I would definitely not recommend this hotel if you are traveling with kids (although they would probably adore the pool in the panoramic SPA on the tenth floor...).

We had dinner on one evening at their restaurant called Acanto, a brilliant restaurant with great food quality and once again an amazing service. There was some Italian celebrity dining right next to us, unfortunately we didn't know who he was, but apparently he is a famous Italian soccer player.

Oh, and they apparently have Italy's best sommelier (by official award), who explained us the wines that would fit best to our meal! It's not cheap dining, but it's one of those treats you just have to offer yourself once in a while!

The room was very nice and large, very classy with nice large flat screens with a nice and big bathroom, also with a nice view on the little park in front of the hotel. We paid roughly 500 USD per night inclusive of breakfast, some promotional rate they had.

Nice: the hotel offers a complimentary limousine shuttle (Mercedes E class) to the centre (about 5 minutes) which works on rotation basis. The driver told us where he would pick us up and the concierge had provided us with a schedule. This worked out just fine, only that our shopping bags would hardly fit in the trunk on our way back!

Overall, we loved the property and felt like stars ourselves.
Definitely worth a stay, when you want to do some nice shopping in Milan but breathe some fresh air and not have all the noisy tourists around you that you would have when staying next to the cathedral!!!

Fashionably Luxurious, Perfectly Equipped

by TripAdvisor Member Phicus

I stayed in the Principe Di Savoia for 1 night in March. I arrived to find my bags taken out of the car for me and, was introduced by the doorman at reception. The receptionist made me complete my details then escorted me to my suite.

The room itself was Ornate, Large and, fully equipped. The hotel has wireless internet access so I had no trouble logging in. the Television/entertainment centre is amazing (note:dont forget your ipod and, cable they plug straight in via USB) The 32" freestanding plasma screen has a mulitude of options including a cd player and, in the menu a number of different digital cd's and, movies. The Bathroom has Aqua Di Parma amenities (which my better half tells me are top of the range). No Iron, but if you can afford the rate you can afford the laundry/pressing charge. The view for the room was not great. Just make sure you are on the outside of the building as interior rooms all look into each other from within a small internal atrium. I noticed a funny noise late in the night which I worked out was the elevator shaft right behind my beadhead so as long as your not near the lift, your fine.

The Gym, Pool & Spa are all beautiful and, located on the top floor. you can cyle or jog on one of the machines overlooking the city of Milan. The steam room is small but has some interesting light effects.

Dinner unfortunatley was via room service but this was an event in itself. Two attendants came up to deliver and, set up the table and, of course the food was 1st Class but so were the condiments to, my own small bottle of top quality balsamic vinegar to which I can add the correct amount to my salad. Great!

Breakfast ws served as a buffet in the main restaurant, Good but not spectacular as buffet breakfasts go however. the freshly made espresso was better than any I have had or will have living in London so good I had to have 2.

The hotel is located just a few blocks from the main square and, cathederal in Milan the metro station is just on its doorstep and, is only 2 stops from the square. The hotel is only 20 mins by taxi from Linate Airport which I found very convenient but, is apparently over an hour from Milans main airport.

Overall it was a fantastic experience and, well deserving of its luxury status just a shame I could only stay 1 night...

duty free allowance

by peckeroni

can you buy and take home british tobacco products from bergamo airport if so what is my allowance if not can they be bought in tobacconist or supermarkets

by cgf

exactly the same quantity for UK and any other ECC country

by peckeroni

the first part of the question was the important bit

by cgf

it does not matter where the goods are taken or their origin, it's a limit of amount, that's the rule...

by YVRDave

Are there still duty free options within the EC?

by peckeroni

i will rephrase the quetion "can i buy embassy regal cigarettes in milan" if so do you know where

by YVRDave

The tobacco shop here has alot of british products. PRINCIPE DI SAVOIA.
If he is out he can get them quickly or tell you were to go

That is a hotel by the way at this address PIAZZA DELLA REPUBBLICA 17

by peckeroni

thanks dave you are star x

Comments