Raffaello Hotel Milan

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 42% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Milan

bladed weaponrybladed weaponry

JumpingNorman with sister, Milan Sept 2009JumpingNorman with sister, Milan Sept 2009

Me & friends in the barMe & friends in the bar

3. Café in the basement3. CafĂ© in the basement

Milan Central to Piazza del Duomo

by athensvaasi

I am staying close to Milan Central.

To get from there to Piazza del Duomo -- is it a scenic / safe walk (I see that it is 3 km. We would walk if there is something to see along the way)?

Should I just take a taxi? How much will a taxi ride cost?

by leics

Ah, right,..now I know where you are staying.

I'd take the bus from Malpensa then get a taxi from Milan Centrale. 3km is a fair old way to drag luggage and children (even though I'm sure there are things to see on the way). It's certainly no less safe than any other major European city...and you will be there in the daytime, after all.

Can't help with taxi fares, I'm afraid, but I doubt it will be more than 15 euro at the most.

by athensvaasi

I think I am staying very close to Milan Central.

I will be going to Piazza del Duomo after I check-in -- no luggage. If I will see something along the way I will walk. Else take taxi to save time.

by leics

O, I see what you mean.

In that case I'd walk as well (and plan to do so on my longer stay in Milan in Feb, when I too am staying near Milan Centrale). There's always lots to see in any strange city, and you will certainly be safe enough.

There is no danger of personal attack anyway: it's pickpockets and petty theft of which you need to be aware in all large European towns/cities, especially those which are tourist-popular, rather than anything else.

But Milan does have a Metro as well, so you can always choose to use that if the weather is not so good or the children are too tired to walk. Map here:

Certainly cheaper than a taxi!

by cgf

you can get also the subway
yellow line

by 64novpt

We've been in Milan last October and my advice is take the subway to the Duomo.
If you like to walk you'll have plenty to do around the Duomo, Castelo Sforzesco,Parco Sempione, La Scala, La Brera for some restaurants....

by elise_crash

I recommend just taking the metro. It is very easy and drops you off directly at Piazza del Duomo. It will be the most inexpensive way to go. I almost never see a reason to take a taxi in Italy. Milan is easy to get around between the metro and nice scenic walks. I would suggest taking the metro to the Duomo and then walking around from there. You can easily see the Galleria (right off the Duomo). And, a walk through the Galleria will put you in front of La Scala (the famous opera house).

Happy Travels!
Lisa

Travel Tips for Milan

Pleasure for the eyes, and whole being if U wish

by adonai_2012

In Castello Sforzesco, apart from enjoying wonderful Italian castle itself, there are neat exhibitions. Also, after you walk and walk around giving pleasure to your eyes and anima, in the case you are in Milan when the days are warm, and wish to hold those memories longer and relax, you can do that in the nearby castle garden-just lie down and do nothing in deep zen meditation, smoke, watch other people, or whatever. If u wish to do this, bring some ordinary jacket to put on grass, as other people do. A woman you can see now and then, beautiful and in long coat with very high heels yet good taste selected one, and mini skirt below walking and passing by... You can see such a beauty only in Italia!!!

A catholic country

by draguza

Italy is still a catholic country, so many people mantain the habit of going to church every sunday to attend the mass

Hope no priest reads this, as I haven't been to church in at least 10 years!

St. Joseph's

by littlesam1

This is a picture of St. Josephs. It is not in any guide book and is not really well known. I found it by accident. Leaving the statue of Michaelangelo in Piazza Della Scala I took the street directly in front of me and walked behind the Opera Hall. As I walked along the street I came across this wonderful little chapel. Although it looks very plain and small from the outside it is quite surprising inside. Like many things in Milan it is a hidden treasure. I found beautiful art work on the walls and ceilings. It was very small, but very beautiful. Milan is full of little surprises like this. Take some time and walk the streets and see what you can find.

Expensive and Crap

by BigPaolo about Hollywood

For some reason they let me straight in without standing outside for ages like most people seem to do (I was fairly well dressed). Once inside, first impressions were good - the dancers were gorgeous! It was, however, very expensive. There were numerous segregated VIP areas where you could enter if you elected to 'buy a bottle of your own' (unfortunately beer didn't count) - music was crap and men outnumbered girls about 3 to 1. I won't be going back . I think you would get away with most things

Intracity travel

by feddupfish

Traveling around the city is fairly easy and straightforward. A 1 Euro ticket lasts for 75 minutes, valid for ONE metro ride, but UNLIMITED tram/bus rides. Just punch it the first time you get on - it's not necessary to punch in on subsequent tram/bus rides.

Tickets can be bought from any newstand or tobacconist (marked by a 'T' outside the shop), or at the metro stop (there's usually a newstand in each stop) or from a ticket dispenser (only accepts coins). Milan is well-connected by its network of metro/tram/bus, so it's not really necessary to take taxis to get around the city.

What to be careful about is where you get in and where you get out. Don't panic if you left a metro station one way, and then can't get back to the same place on your way back. A single stop has multiple exits, not all necessarily exiting onto the same street.

If you intend to take multiple trips, buy the daily ticket (3 Euro), which allows you to take unlimited number of trips on a single ticket. However, if you plan your trip ahead of time, most places are within walking distance and you may get away with using single trip tickets (but for peace of mind and convenience, an additional 1 Euro is worth paying).

Comments