Una Maison Milano

1. Castello Sforzesco1. Castello Sforzesco

the metrothe metro

Leonardo Da Vinci

by Turska

i think I found here a museum,witch tells about Da Vinci and his work,and "airplanes"or other stuff he made is in museum to see.Have I been seeing a dream,or am I only now too tired,when I can´t find the name of the museum anymore?We are leaving tomorrow,so i won´t use more time for searching,because I need to start packing,but if someone knows witch museum I mean,I´d like to hear it!I hate packing,and I´m getting mad here..Tommorow at this same time our plane is starting to land to Milan-Bergamo airport,and then I´m hopefully in better mood ;) I´m sure I am!
By the way-don´t tell me I must see Last supper..It was booked until september,when I tried to book it a month ago!

by mccalpin

Is this the museum you were thinking of?

In any case, have patience, you will soon be in Italy, you very lucky person(!)...think of all the wine and food you'll be having! AND GELATO!!! ;-)

by Turska

It might be that.I looked their web-site,but didn´t find the same photos I saw before.But maybe it is the same museum after all.And maybe we will find out in tourist info.
I had a new stress when our bags were much too heavy..We had to take of many clothes,and we are staying two weeks..Gonna be some handwashing there..Last time we try to manage with only one bag(plus hand-luggage).if we would have taken another bag now,it would have cost us 80e for two flights!!!When flying with Ryanair,you must be sure how many bags to carry,when you book.After you have paid,the extra-bags pay much more tahn when booking tickets!Maybe we learned something...Don´t save in wrong place!

by alucas

Well if that is the right museum, you are out of luck - it's closed at the moment.

"The Museum will stay closed from the 9th of June to the 15th of September 2008 due to renovation works on our buildings and systems."

There's a museum about Leonardo in Vinci itself - but that won't help you, I'm afraid. Have a good trip anyway !

by mccalpin

"After you have paid,the extra-bags pay much more tahn when booking tickets!Maybe we learned something...Don´t save in wrong place! "

An excellent point - discount airfares aren't always a discount ;-)

by mccalpin

Good catch, Andrew! Since the notice wasn't on the front page, I didn't see it...don't you think the news that the museum will be closed for 3 months might be worthy of the home page??? ;-)

by alucas

It is - but not the actual dates. The dates ARE on nearly all the other pages though.

by Turska

It would still be much cheaper than using finnair or sas witch also fly there,and we would only see Rome,when now we see 3 cities.But I ment,that I should have booked for two back,not one.I would have paid 29e for extra-bag,if i would have booked it at January..But still,we paid 150e per person for flight to Bergamo,and another from there to Rome together(4 days later).With Finnair it would be at least 280e per person straight to Rome-missing the Milan and Bergamo.And we would need to drive to Helsinki to get to plane-now it leaves right here.We have used nothing but Ryanair for 6 years.

by mccalpin

Oh, I wasn't on the home page like I thought I was - it looked like it but wasn't...

by Turska

i didn´t first see the answer about museum being closed.bad luck!Thanks for info!

Travel Tips for Milan

Porta Romana

by draguza

Planned by Ferrante Gonzaga on behalf of the Spanish crown, the second circuit of city walls was begun in 1549 and completed in 1560. With respect to the Medieval walls, the new fortifications enclosed the new districts that had grown up around the radial streets. This basically military structure, one of the most powerful in Europe, consisted of massive curtain walls and fortified towers, while little emphasis was placed on ornamentation. One of the finest parts of the walls is Porta Romana, designed by Aurelio Trezzi, in which the traditional form of the city gate is given a sober decorative treatment. From the 18th century, the walls began to be converted for uses differing to that of defence, and in the 19th century they were finally demolished to make room for new districts of bourgeois residential architecture.

Alfa Romeo Heaven

by Rixie

This wonderful museum, located in the old Alfa Romeo factory in nearby Arese, includes six floors of Alfas, from the first 1906 prototype to the present day - even Alfa airplane engines and jeeps.

It is out of the way and open only on weekdays, but it is well worth the effort. Children will especially like the top floor, which features glass cases of toy Alfas.

Admission is free. However, you will need to leave your ID with the security guard at the gate.

Driving directions on the website. See my travelogue for more photos and detailed directions for reaching the museum via public transport.

Third shop

by Henrik_rrb about Zara

Now, when it comes to Zara, and if you're a guy; don't do the same mistake as I did in Milan. There is a huge Zara store to the left shortly behind the Duomo, but it's not for you. I ran up and down for four floors, looking for some nice men clothes. And the place was packed as a summer sale...

But there are no men's clothes there...

Instead you should continue a bit further on the outside, where you'll find a small Zara shop, also to your left, with only men clothes. Just one floor, much smaller sortiment, but at least something.

Zara is, if I'm not mistaken, a spanish brand, and I actually found the Zara store in Barcelona much better. There I bought a whole lot of things, and for a good price. A jacket, a shirt and some more clothes.
In Milan instead, since the shop for men is so small, there wasn't much to buy, and I got quite disappointed. I did buy something though. A shirt and a cardigan. Somehow some sort of panic buy, but now when I'm home again I'm quite pleased with them.

Should have tried them on first though, sits a bit too tight maybe... ;) More expensive than I remember from Barcelona, but still "only" 80 euro for both the pieces.

Autostradale bus from Bergamo airport to Milano

by zlatiq

I found it very convenient and easy and cheap to ride a bus from Bergamo airport to Milano central train station. You can buy the bus ticket (about 15 USD both ways) from the Autostradale booth at the airport,it's very easy to find (on the right hand side after the exit as far as i remember); they accept credit cards;
The bus runs very often-every 30-60 min

for update on fare and schedule check out their website

See the map of the center of...

by Fabrizio_M.

See the map of the center of Milan.
In this tip you can see the three line of the underground : line 1 - red
line 2 - green
line 3 - yellow
line blue is the railway which connect a part of suburbs (un'espece de RER pour le français)
note : red line underground have near the station's name .Other red line are the main street named 'Regions boulevards' (i viali delle regioni): viale Umbria, viale abruzzi, viale campania, ecc. ecc.
Azienda Trasporti Municipali