Hotel Desiree

Satisfaction Poor

More about Sirmione

Hotel Catullo SirmioneHotel Catullo Sirmione

The Ferry dock at SunsetThe Ferry dock at Sunset

from the eastern shorefrom the eastern shore

Ali, co and StaceAli, co and Stace

BERGAMO AIRPORT TO SIRMIONE

by babysnuggles

Further to my earlier question, I actually meant Bergamo (Milan) Airport and NOT Brescia Airport.

To reiterate, I need to best travel options to get from Bergamo Airport to Sirmione.

Thanks and sorry for the mistake.

by mccalpin

"best?" oh, such a loaded word ;-)

Well, you can take the bus from the airport to the train station in Bergamo (see http://www.atb.bergamo.it/oggetti/3663.pdf for the schedule from the official website), then take the train from Bergamo to Desenzano Del Garda-Sirmione (see www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html) (note: change in Brescia), then take a local bus from the Desenzano (where the train station actually is) over to Sirmione.

This will be a considerably more direct process than going to Milan, which is out of the way.

Note that most of the trains are "R" (regional) trains. These trains do not resquire reservations (indeed, do not offer them) - you just show up at the station, buy the ticket to Desenzano from the machine or the person, validate, and get on. If there is room to stand, you can ride.

Questions?

Bill

by Billy16

When the good lady and I were faced with the same trip we ended up travelling exactly as Bill suggests.

I only wish I had been a member of VT when I was origonaly planning the journey as Bill could have saved me hours of needless research!

Billy

by Billy16

In retrospect, the only thing I can possibly add is that the bus stop (not a bus station) is directly outside the train station on the same side of the road.

This link will provide you with a rough idea of the bus timetable from the train station (Desenzano Stazione FS)

Definately not the only bus, but regular enough, and only 30 mins to Sirmione.

Billy

by babysnuggles

Thank you so much to the members who took the time to reply to my questions on transferring from Bergamo to Sirmione.

These replies are extremely helpful to me. When I have studied the various train/bus timetables I will probably have more questions for you (if that is OK) so watch this space.

Thank you again.

by mccalpin

Studying the schedules yourself is an excellent thing, because it will make you far more comfortable with the whole process. With a little study, you start to realize that you can pretty much puzzle out train and bus schedules even when they are in Italian, so that when you are "in country", you will be less dependent on other people to hold your hand.

So, good for you, wanting to take the links and run with them - this is your trip after all, and doing your own research after being directed to the best links will make it so.

At the same time, we have to thank Billy, because his comment that it's a bus stop rather than a station won't be found in any of those official sites ;-)

Anyway, please feel free to come back and test us some more ;-)

Bill

Travel Tips for Sirmione

Sirmione and around beginning from Bergamo Airport

by microsensazione

Ok Letty now I understand better. First of all I don't laugh because I experienced your same situation when I studied: I did my travels with limited budget.
Your question about hiring: for me is better because you can travel in freedom, without watching the clock and saying: "It's time to go, we have bus, we have train".

Anyway let's schedule again your possible travel!

First: take a look on this web site "http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/" because it gives you all the time tables and prices of 90% of trains in Italy. Sometimes you can also buy tickets on line (English version is available).

You have to reach Bergamo railway station from Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport: about that search "ATB" on website "http://www.sacbo.it/" (you will find a link on the left "Orioshuttle, click and bus!"). From Bergamo railway station you need to arrive in Sirmione by train (search your favourite time on http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/). Remember to obliterate your tickets to avoid nasty fines! You will arrive to Desenzano station (this is because Sirmione has not train station). Anyway don't worry about because the area is touristic so it is sufficient, arrived in Desenzano train station, to get info in a tourist point or go to lake and find boats to Sirmione (it is not difficult).

Prices: I wrote you about "il Porticciolo" restaurant in Sirmione: my sister and her boyfriend paid 42 euro for pasta, desserts, water, a quarter of wine, one bottle of water and two coffees. It's a sample about prices. Anyway, as always, avoid too touristic places and you could keep good food with a reasonable price. Usually pizza is cheaper but, I'm honest, sometimes I save some moneys going in a McDonald! Don't exclude to find in Sirmione a backer and a butcher's shop, buying there all you need to prepare your self-made sandwiches (sometimes I used also this way to save some moneys, but only for lunch!).

Now, what to visit.
One day in Sirmione but keep in mind to take Desenzano train station as base to begin your movements to visit: Verona (1 day), Soave (1 day). A tour by boat to visit Garda Lake is a must, expecially I suggest to visit Bardolino, Lazise, Torri del Benaco, Malcesine. On west side there is Limone sul Garda. Salò is important for Italian history but you could skip it.
Try to dedicate a day to visit the funny Gardaland (http://www.gardaland.it/en/home.php). Sigurtà Park (http://www.sigurta.it) is very beautiful, if possible dedicate a day. To reach it: by train from "Desenzano" to "Peschiera del Garda" and, from "Peschiera del Garda" to "Valeggio sul Mincio" using APAM bus line.
Ehm... I have reached the six days!

OK, these are my suggests.
Keep attention: no autostop in Italy, Veneto Region is not so dangerous but also not so extremly safe.
If you need more info you can contact me also by VT mail or with this one: f.morandin@vodafone.it

Welcome in Italy!

The public beach

by rubbersoul75

This public beach is small, probably a little crowded, but close to the town center. It’s just to the east, or right, after you enter the town through the castle. Signs to the "spiaggia" will lead you there. The surface is not like sand you would find at the beach, rather larger, but rounded rocks. We passed by this beach as it was crowded and found what we thought a much nicer spot to jump in the water. See previous tip.

Comments