Via XX Settembre, 35, Varenna, 23829, Italy

Booking.com Priceline.com

• as good as advertised

the hosts at Albergo Milano could not be more gracious. service was very personable and informative. a very fine breakfast is included with your reservation. would highly recommend the fixed price dinner on the hotel terrace. the dinner was the best meal we had in Varenna. the Albergo Milano is small, only 8 rooms, so try to make reservations as soon as possible. we reserved more than 6 months in advance. highly recommend the Albergo Milano.

Unique Quality: the hotel is situated on Lake Como, with wonderful views from your room balconies. the dining terrace makes a wonderful place to view sunset on Lake Como. all shops and points of interest are within eary walking distance of the Albergo Milano. the pasarella, the lake walk, is just below the hotel. wonderful location, wonderful ambiance at the Albergo Milano.

Directions: less than 100 meters from the center of Varenna

More about Albergo Milano Hotel & Apartments

Perfect for a relaxing break

by TripAdvisor Member bellagirl11

We stayed at Casa Mezzo, the apartment that Albergo Milano rent out when the hotel is full, and it was just lovely. The apartment is small, but has everything that you need (including equipment to make a morning coffee). The rooms are beautifully furnished, and very clean, and I quite enjoyed the lack of tv (sometimes it is best not to have the temptation). There is no view of the lake, but Albergo Milano make the terrace available if you want to sit and read, have a drink or just enjoy the view. I would definitely recommend staying at Varenna, rather than Bellagio, as it is much quieter and less touristy - especially mid-week.

Nice and relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member mjb823

My wife and I stayed at the Albergo Milano in early July and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. We had a room with a lateral lake view as all the lake view rooms were fully booked. The room was comfortable with a balcony and large window. We ate dinner at the hotel one night and it was delicious although my wife was unable to eat everything as she is a vegetarian and due to the small size of the dining room they are unable to offer alternative choices to what is already on the menu. The owners were very friendly and went out of their way to get us ice and help us understand the ferry schedule on the lake.

Wonderful place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member markelmo

My wife and I spent 5 wonderful nights in this hotel. We had a room with a view of the lake from our balcony. A fabulous place to watch the sunset. The breakfasts were great and the one dinner we had at the hotel was one of our favorite meals of our 2 weeks in Italy. The hosts went out of their way to make our stay pleasant and memorable.

Sooooooo Romantic!!!

by TripAdvisor Member TampaTravler

Albergo Milano was wonderful. We received a double room with a small patio that overlooked Lake Como. We sipped wine on the patio everynight and just stared at the lake and mountains. What a romantic spot for our honeymoon!! Beware though, if you have a lot of luggage, the stairs up to your room can be quite fun(kidding). Dinner on their patio is a must. We highly recommend this property.

A wonderful setting

by TripAdvisor Member Marieolive

We stayed here for two nights in July. The location of the hotel is magnificent with wonderful views from the terrace where we had dinner and breakfast. Dinner was cooked and served with great care.There was a smallmenu, two choices for each course using high quality local ingredients. The staff were very warm and friendly. On the down side our room was very small with nowhere to store our cases so we were practically falling over them and each other every time we moved. There was no air conditioning so the room was like an oven at night. Access to the hotel was not easy. We managed to park in the square when we arrived and it was hard work to get our cases down to the hotel. We then had to move our car on to the road leading out of Varenna and since there was no space in the square to park our car when we left we had to drag our cases for half a mile to get them back to the car.This did not make for a good end to our stay!

Great Food, Nice owners

by TripAdvisor Member Phillysteaks

My wife and I went to Italy for our honeymoon, this last July. I have been to Europe a few times, and my new wife has been all over the world, from China to Mexico. All we can say is the city of Varenna on Lake Como is one of the most beautiful places to relax on vacation or, like us, on your honeymoon. The city is beautiful, with its small little stone streets, and not touristy like many other towns on the lake. We had a very nice room at the Hotel Royal Victoria. I did try to get a room at the Milano, but they were fully booked at the time I started, about 8 months before. Some reviews on Tripadvisor were not that good for the Royal Victoria, and I am not sure why. The room we had (I had a choice of two, they took me around to see which I liked best) was perfect. We had the perfectly beautiful view of the lake, in a very large room. The bathroom size was fine, and AC worked very well. The bed was large and we slept very well. The room furniture would be the only thing I could see people making a stink about. It looked dated, like out of the late 1980’s in good condition, but the room was very clean. The breakfast was good, and the desk people were more then nice and helpful, even late at night.
Note to other Americans: Hotels in Italy are on a star system, this not like the star system in the US. A 4 star hotel, means they pass a check list of amenities. They have to have a lift, they have to have 24 front desk and others things like bell boys and stuff. Get it. Italian will not kiss your backside as much as American hotels, so if you are nasty to them, they might be nasty right back. So just follow the golden rule, and you will get top notch service, we did and we did. Also Lake Como is not cheap; our room was 180e a night, mainly because of its location. Italy is never inexpensive in July, and Lake Como is no different.
The Hotel Milano is most likely the nicest hotel in Varenna, it is less money, but no AC, lift, or bell boy. Kinda like a super nice B&B, just much better. We had dinner many times at the La Vista, Hotel Milano’s restaurant, because the food was unbelievable. We live in Philadelphia and eat in New York, both cities known for good food. Yet, we can say this is some of the best food we have ever had. We met the owners, a married couple who are very nice. They even took us back into the kitchen, after asking how he made this wonderful fresh herb sauce over lake fish dish, to show us how he make it. Wow! They even sat down to talk with us at the end of the night as if we were old friends. Wow again!! The Menu is kept small, because of the small kitchen and staff. You pick from two starters, two main courses, and something sweet or some nice cheese (French Dessert). We choose the 4 course meal, which included both the main courses, so we could really enjoy life and get fat at the same time. (only 30e) If you come to Varenna, you must eat here once.
Also check out Vecchia Varenna, they had this blueberry pasta dish, it’s to die for! The views from both the Vecchia and the La Vista are so great, we just loved them both. If you are looking for some great pizza at around 7e try the Del Sole.

Beautiful setting

by TripAdvisor Member Pam67

Spent two nights in Lake Como and fell in love with the place. Albergo Milano was in my opinion, one of the best situated hotels on the lake. It was clean, tidy and beautifully decorated. We had room numbers 2&4 one of these had a large terrace overlooking the lake and on both nights we watched the most amazing thunder storms with forked lightening (must try and return for the sunsets!). On our first night we ate at a local trattoria and on the second at the hotel's restaurant. The setting of the restaurant is lovely, we should have been sitting on the terrace but due to the storm we were all inside which was a little disappointing. The food was very good if a little expensive.. We took the boat to Bellagio which we thoroughly enjoyed and our girls loved swimming in the lake. We would definitely love to return to Lake Como and would stay again at Albergo Milano.

Beautiful B&B, Great Location, Small Rooms, So-So Food

by TripAdvisor Member chchien

This is a great hotel, situated right on Lake Como and the epitome of quiet relaxation. The bathrooms are newly remodeled and the rooms are clean. Rooms 1 and 2 (we stayed in 1) have very large decks that directly overlook the lake. I'd highly recommend trying to get one of these two rooms (it's only 5 euros more). The others have small balconies or don't overlook the lake directly.

I must, however, disagree with the reviewers who raved about the food. I'd suggest being careful in this area. We made a reservation for dinner right upon arrival and the food turned out to be disappointing. The fish was poorly prepared and chock full of so many little bones that it was difficult to eat. The desserts weren't very well made either -- the panna cotta tasted like sugared foie gras. We ended up going to bed hungry with nothing more than soup and carpaccio appetizers filling our stomachs. There are much better restaurant values in town (including a great little bar down by the seaside).

I'd highly recommend the hotel, but steer clear of the restaurant.

Comments