Via Calvarione, 22, Nemi, 00040, Italy

More about Nemi

Cats everywhereCats everywhere

Via (?!) CavourVia (?!) Cavour

steep pathssteep paths

the village againthe village again

Transportation to/from Rome

by dgjbfry

How practical is Nemi as a base for sightseeing in Rome? My wife and I are thinking of staying in Nemi in November, but I can't find detailed information concerning public transportation between Rome and Nemi (costs, time, frequency, etc.). If we rent a car, is there anyplace to park on the outskirts of Rome and switch to public transportation to get into the city center?

Re: Transportation to/from Rome

by mccalpin

I have stayed near Castel Gandolfo some years ago. We had a car, which we used to drive around Rome (i.e. not IN Rome, well, not much - since I used to live in Rome, it doesn't bother me all that much to drive in most places). Actually, the biggest hassle in driving in Rome is the fact that you can't park once you get there ;-)

There are a number of commuter trains that run frequently from places like Albano Laziale, Castel Gandolfo, and Marino - all to Stazione Termini, the main train station. So one possibility would be to drive to one of these towns (I am sure there are others, but Nemi doesn't appear to be one of them), park, and commute.

The Metro also comes out somewhere near Ciampino airport, but I've never used it... but this would be the same thing - you would drive there, "park and ride".

As for driving into Rome itself, the Via Appia is fairly busy, especially at rush hour. I'd have to look to see if there are any city lots along the route (never used them). I guess I don't see much point in driving closer to Rome and still giving up your car; you might as well leave it out in the smaller (and calmer) towns outside the loop....

Bill

Travel Tips for Nemi

Strawberry town

by shivan

Rome is surrounded to the east by hills and smooth mountains.

These monutains were for the greater part ancient volcanoes, actually, and some of them is now a lake.
Small villages grew in past centuries over the steep edges of these volcanoes, and got wealth from fishing in the lake and farming the fertile lands around them.

This area is also full of restaurants, generally quite expensive I must say, which cuisine is absolutely fantastic.
A lot of people, me too, choose them to organize gorgeous wedding banquets, usually inviting more than 100 people.

Now they are a major attraction for tourists and romans who want to spend a day outside Rome.
We call this "gita fuori porta", literally "a trip outside the city portals".

Especially in may, june and september, these places are crowded with visitors. You have to park miles away sometimes.

NEMI is one of these villages. It is most famous for strawberries. These fruits are the main production of this area, and visitors can enjoy them as they are served in all manners. Any kind of sweets are prepared with patience and devotion. Don't miss this place.

Comments