3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about La Villa Hotel

Great Hosts - beautiful place

My wife and I had 2 days to spend in Piemonte before heading off to a business meeting. We don't like to worry about planning and details before our trips, prefering to rely on those with local knowledge. Nicole and Chris made sure that we made the most of our 2 days. They happily made dining reservations (at amazingly good restuarants - coming from New Jersey and working in NY, we know great Italian) as well as organizing tours for us at local wineries (great Barolos and Barbarescos). Nicole even wrote out driving directions for us. Even if they had not done all this, they are great folks just to chat with.
The Villa is under construction, but that had no impact on our stay. The rooms are comfortable as well as beautiful. The Villa itself, as well as the surroundings, are picturesque. We're hoping for a return visit in the summer.

Great Palce to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member gjensen

We found this wonderful La Villa Hotel (Mombaruzzo, Asti 14046, Italy),
while attending the 2006 Olympics in Torino. It is about 50 miles outside of Torino, Italy in the Asti Region of the beautiful Monferrato hills.

Even in winter the scenery, vineyards, rolling hills and the alps in the distance are breathtaking. A 17th century palazzo has been transformed into a modern and elegant country hotel. An Italian country breakfast is included. A wide variety of local wines, espresso and more are available at the bar. A short distance from Nitzi which has several wonderful restaurants.

The English owners provide warmth, help with anything Italian and even make arrangements for visits to the local winery's, rental cars and/or transportation form the train station in Asti or Nitzi.

Take a scenic walk up the hill, visit the local cathedral - or, just relax by the pool, or on the roof terrace. Truly a delight. We hope to visit again soon!

Gerri and Dave

Simply Splendid - Family with Children

by TripAdvisor Member Aleatha

My family and I spent 4 wonderful nights at this beautiful hotel. We came to Italy to attend the Olympics. I looked everywhere for hotels that would offer nice rooms for a reasonable price. After extensive reach I stumbled upon this property. In the beginning, I really tried to manage my expectations -- hotels in Europe are very different than what we're use to in the US. I did not want to be disappointed. I always look at these reviews with a bit of skepticism. That said, I am not a travel agent or work in the travel industry. I handle global meetings and am very particular about where I stay. I will do my best to describe the room and our experience. The owners Nicola and Chris (along with their wonderful daughters) are the most gracious hosts you'll ever meet. We felt as if we were guests in their home. I took an extensive tour of the property and each and every room is uniquely decorated with such thought. They've taken two years to renovate the property and have really preserved the soul. The space has really been well thought out. Antiques abound and a pool/garden area that is well on it's way to being finished this summer. We stayed in the honeymoon suite on the top floor (4 small flights of stairs - no elevator -- my oldest daughter has a walking disability and could make the stairs just fine)with an adjoining sitting parlor which doubled for our daughters sleeping room (sofa very comfortable sleeper). The suite is decorated in soft off-white. The room offers three different sweeping views of the area and plenty of sunshine. The walls and stone floor are original and have an old world feel (but very elegant). The bedding is nothing short of exquisite (same sheets as the Ritz). The is bathroom filled with amazing soap that Nicola has milled for the hotel, Egyptian cotton towels that are so plush, a huge tub (my 6ft husband could really relax in the tub) that doubles as a shower. Also offers a view from the tub. The water is hot, plentiful and has fantastic pressure. May not be important to some, but I like hot powerful showers. The adjoining parlor is equipped with a table that folds out to accommodate a family. It also has a refrigerator as well. The common areas are also inviting - a TV room with a big screen TV and cable. There is also a bar area in the main house which we gathered nightly to share our day and sample the most amazing cheeses from the area. The views from the rooftop are breathtaking. Nicola and Chris are also extremely knowledgeable about wine and organized many tours for some of the guests staying during our visit. The property is easy to get to, but off the beaten path. It's surrounded by very cute towns with really nice shopping and cafes. The restaurants are amazing and very reasonable -- even with the poor dollar exchange. We walked in the door strangers and left friends. Prior to my arrival, I phoned Nicola several times to ask questions -- which is one of the reasons I was drawn to the place. She always took time to answer my questions and went out of her way to help me with my plans -- hire a car, hire a driver, prescriptions, finding apple juice (it's harder in Italy than you think). I highly recommend this hotel and I'm a Four Seasons girl. We will be returning. When we first arrived we were given our room key (antique skelton key - unique for every room). By the 2nd day we left our key on the desk and never picked it up again. We felt so safe and comfortable. I've never gone to sleep anywhere with my door unlocked -- It's that relaxing and comfortable. My children cried when we left. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Treat yourself to luxury in the heart of wine country. You won't be disappointed.

Great place with great hosts

From the moment we walked through the door we were entranced! The rooms were lovely, the service charming and the cappuccinos were excellent. Never once was anyone's request met with any hesitation. Looking back, it was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. The owners Chris and Nicola were awesome hosts...

it only gets better

There was something very wrong with our second visit at La Villa Hotel - it was far from long enough!! Since our last visit - things have been hectic at La Villa. They have created several beautifully decorated bedrooms and they have expanded with a dining/function room and a games room - all of which ads to the atmosphere and ambience of La Villa.

Upon our second visit in less than 6 months to La Villa Hotel - they had a LOT to live up to - and again Chris and Nicola exceeded all our expectations!
We were received as old friends and treated as such for the whole weekend.
Yet again we stayed in a beautifully decorated room - the honeymoon suite this time - a large apartment really - with magnificent views and gorgeous surroundings.
Nicola cooked some marvellous food - we watched Six Nations Rugby with the family in the games room and we drank the most magnificent wine.
We were received as friends - and we truly felt that we were visiting friends!
A big thank you to Chris, Nicola and their wonderful girls for yet another magnificent stay!!

We find ourselves not wanting to recommend La Villa to everyone who asks - we reserve the recommendations to our closest friends - people who we know Chris and Nicola will enjoy the company of, and who will appreciate the excellent service, the beautiful food and wine, and the stunning surroundings... You wouldn’t send just anybody to see your friends – would you?
We will be back again – that is a certainty!

Fantastic hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member SeoulNZ

What a great hotel, made perfect by the extremely welcoming hosts.

Rooms are great, comfortable beds, fantastic decor, large and inviting. Bathrooms are well appointed with great towels toiletries etc.

The real highlight here are Chris and Nicola, they go out of their way to make your stay great, from booking great restaurants to organising wine tours, Nicola even personally escourted us to one winery for 3-4 hours as she was afraid they wouldnt speak english...

I can highly reccomend this hotel to anyone...

Highlight of our trip

We have just arrived home from our trip to Piemonte where we stayed in all the 'best' places, but our 3 night stay at La Villa was our favourite - hands down. We had always rented villas in the past, and this refined country house was a little like staying in a friend's beautiful home. 'Hotel' is really a misnomer - no elevators, no cramped, stuffy rooms, no ridiculous wall-hung hairdryers. Our bedroom and sitting room, while not one of the 'showpiece' rooms on their website, was absolutely perfect and we'd ask for it again on a future visit. I'm not sure I've ever been able to say that before - ground floor, many, many windows, bright and airy, quiet, exquisitely appointed. Everything in the villa speaks of great care, personally-chosen furnishings, breakfast pastries and cheeses, a welcoming glass of wine on arrival. Chris and Nicola strike just the right balance of helpfulness without intruding on their guests' privacy. Nicola was the gentlest of hostesses, regaling us about the customs of the area, refilling my milk jug in the minibar (unasked) and making sure we were comfortable in every way. Chris is the go-to man, always helpful. I felt safe knowing that he would be there to help in any way if we found ourselves in any unexpected difficulty. All in all, La Villa is like staying in a a luxurious rented villa with all the advantages and none of the drawbacks. Chris and Nicola: don't change a thing.

perfect retreat for peace and quite

by TripAdvisor Member sr42

Having just returned from a 2 nights stay at La Villa which we booked at random on the net solely on the basis of the excellent reviews i can only agree with most of you that La villa is a unique experience best enjoy for couples and people in search of pure relaxation peace, quite and...... some proper good night sleep!!
How refreshing it is to be met upon arrival with 2 chilled glass of prosecco by such a charming hostess like Nicola.....well....you need them...because dragging your luggage from the gravelled car park to the chosen rooms expecially the ones on top floors is not an easy task( some help would have been appreciated )....than again it is all forgotten as soon as you enter the magnificent restored room.Huge by any standard,airy,bright and very white with stunning view over the surrounding hills.Don't expect TV or any other high tech gudgets as they are available in a sort of communal room so just enjoy nature at his best and also don't expect to brush your teeth or have a bath after 11 at night unlesss you wanted to scald yourself as there wasn't any cold water coming from the taps untill at least 6 or 7 in the morning,while we were there.
The rest of the building offers a magnificent court yard partially covered by a pergola - where breakfast is served in the morning ( ......slightly disappointing if you get up too late as you will be eating left overs and not of the best produce, accompanied by a poor coffee for italian standard )
By the court yard is the pool area which offers the most oustanding view but it is clearly in need of some finishing touches.Towels are available for guest to use( will come to that later ) as you are not allowed to take the ones from the room and the rather uncomfortable plastic sun bed could have done with some cushions.The hosts run a sort of trusty help yourself with what you need from the bar and write it on a board but frankly i don't expect to dig the cushions from the nearby store room and laying them myself!!
A car is essential to move around as La villa is quite off the beaten track and the nearest local restaurant is at least 20 min away( well....sort of of italian 20 min ,so very approx )The well prepared list with all the local amenities will satisfy every possible taste and your hosts are more than willing to suggest and book whatever it is that you might fancy as their knowledge of the area is impressive.
Nicola and Chris are unique in the way they manage this place .Nicola with an exceptional charm,genuine passion,warmth and friendliness and Chris with that unique surely acquired italian way of doing bussiness, by writing bills on a piece of scrap paper ( illegal )including euro 3.50 per towel used in the pool !!! ( unimpressed ! ).
Shame ,sometime little things just spoil what was,after all an an oustanding short break.

A room with a view

Our recent stay at La Villa was an unforgettable experience on several levels, to begin with the website is first class, giving accurate pictures and informative details on events and festivals. The newsletter also gives a good impression of the friendly and relaxed atmosphere you can expect.
On arrival we were warmly welcomed by Chris and a glass of prosecco and immediately felt relaxed, even more so when shown to our beautiful suite and stunning terrace which overlooked vineyards and gentle hills. The file in our lounge contained everything and more that we needed to know about the hotel, sights to see and restaurants. The decor is tasteful with a luxurious feel and combines cool whites, creams and terracotta with individual pieces of antique furniture, ironwork and modern amenities, all in all an impressive restoration of a stunning building and garden.
The breakfast room and terrace are perfect places to enjoy the delicious, freshly prepared breakfasts of bread, pastries, local cheeses, cold meats and fruit accompanied by fresh coffee and just picked mint tea.
One afternoon I enjoyed the swimming pool, with its own stunning views, all to myself, a real luxury and an example of the atmosphere of La Villa, it feels like staying in the home of friends. There are no rules, no formalities, Chris, Nicola, Kelly and Gemma are so genuine, relaxed and welcoming. They shared their knowledge of the area to make sure our holiday was unique, we enjoyed the fabulous Siege of Canelli, the charming Corsa delle Botti in nearby Alice bel Colle with stupendous 360' views, the eclectic antiques market in Nizza Monferrato and excellent restaurants (2 of which are only 5mins drive away) all thanks to their recommendations. They should give training sessions in how to get the perfect balance between luxury, comfort and warm hospitality.

Relaxed, friendly respite

We had a mini school reunion of three girls who hadn't properly spent time together - without kids or husbands in three years. La Villa gave us the space to catch up properly deliciously interspersed with the freshest tomato and mozarella salads or cheese platters with crisp local white.
It is a beautiful property which has obviously had a lot of time and attention paid to it since Chris and Nicola moved in to renovate and ultimately run a family hotel. The service is very personal and is much more akin to staying in a family home rather than 5* 'yes sir' or 'si signora' so don't expect that but the prices don't suggest you should expect that. Incredibly reasonable for quality of accommodation. We did have a mishap on the first night as we couldn't work out how to turn the air con on (turned out it was switched off on the mains board) and it was a very hot night, however a minor word at breakfast had it quickly sorted out and a couple of bottles of wine on the house for the inconvenience - very well handled. We had a spectucular storm on our second night which did test the fabric of the building in places and lost internet and TV connection but it didn't bother the guests particularly and it was so wonderfully dramatic to have a stormcloud literally above the building that it was worth the drama.
We did at times find the familiarity of staying in a small family-run hotel a little intrusive but it was always well-intentioned and the information on the local area was second to none. So gratifying to find expat Brits who have properly integrated with fluent Italian.
We would like to contradict the claims about the coffee, I'm not a coffee drinker but my two companions were and went back for seconds on every occasion! However, we would uphold the complaint about having to take your own cushions from the store room to the pool and being charged for the use of pool towels. A minor touch but a niggle if it isn't there.
La Villa will go from strength to strength and will become more difficult to get into. At the moment it's a 4/5, it will be higher soon as they get more experience of what guests enjoy/ expect and return for.

The MonumentThe Monument

ColumnsColumns

The sign points you in the right direction.The sign points you in the right direction.

Montgolfier showMontgolfier show