Lungo Lago 2, Cannero Riviera, 28821, Italy

More about Hotel Cannero

Everything about Hotel Cannero was just perfect

by TripAdvisor Member archive

We spent three nights (including our wedding anniversary) at the Hotel Cannero. We were welcomed by the extremely friendly owner and her staff. Weather, rooms, facilities and position were all excellent. We especially enjoyed the incredibly varied breakfast buffet. Good sized, very well-equipped bathrooms with loads of hot water. Nice touches included bath robes and slippers.

Best camping by Lake Maggiore

by Manara about Camping Lido

I noticed this camping altough I did not stay there, and I looked for information because I know people who are fond of camping. I often passed by it during my stay in Cannero, because it's close to the walk by the lakeshore, and it looked like a very pleasant place, in a green area with a lake view. I was not surprised to hear that Camping Lido had been awarded a prize as best camping of the Lago Maggiore. Location , location, location. It is within the village and close to the beach. Moreover, the camping offers not only places for tents and caravans, but has also bungalows for rental, which in my view is a great solution to combine the advantages of a camping with the comforts of a house.

Benefactors

by Manara

When Italy was a poor country and many people migrated abroad, also Cannero had its migrants. Most of them, in the XIX century, went to England to seek their fortune, but they did not cut their ties with Cannero. On the contrary, several of them became benefactors of their birthplace. This bridge, for instance, was built with money donated by the "Canneresi" of London.

Camellias

by Manara

I explained in another page how and why the soil in this area is especially suitable to grow azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias. In Cannero it is especially the camellias that dominate the scene. Every year, at the end of March, there is an important exhibition of camellias.

A glimpse of the castle

by Manara

From Cannero you can see an island, a few km away, with a castle. Actually there are two small islands, although from the village you cannot notice, because of the perspective.
A fortress was built there by the Mazzarditi family. It was known as Malpaga. The Mazzarditi were defeated in 1414 by the Duke of Milan and the two islands became property of the Borromeo family. They built a new castle there, about one century later. However the castle was not much used, so it went into decay.
Although it is known as Castello di Cannero, it is not so near, but a closer view can be had from the road a few km out of Cannero. Even better is going there with a private boat. There is no public service, because the castle is not open to visits.

Fantistic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member azarzana

Cannero Riviera, Italy. Hotel Cannero, Lake Maggorie
Oct. 25th, 2006

We have just returned from our trip to Italy & Switzerland and the highlight of our trip was our stay at the Hotel Cannero in Cannero Riviera, Italy witch is about 15 miles from the Swiss, Italian border on Lake Maggiore. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we greeted by the owner Maria Carla who was very warm and made us feel at home immediately. We had a Jr. Suite with a lake view, the room we had was immaculate it had a large bathroom with shower and closet space was more than ample with plenty of hangers (which my wife appreciated) a small balcony with chairs and a table. We missed our breakfast the first morning but Maria Carla’s son said no problem so he sent us to the bar where we were given coffee, tea and a apple torte which was wonderful, after that we made sure to make breakfast each morning as it was also fantastic included in the room price. Parking is at the rear of the building and very convenient. This is the place to stay for relaxing, eating, drinking very good wine and exploring the area. We will definitely return next year.

Loved the location....

by TripAdvisor Member bailey5

My mother and I wanted a relaxing break and thats exactly what we got from the moment we arrived at the Hotel Cannero.
The staff were friendly and helpful during our whole stay, we wanted for nothing, except to stay for another week!
The food was great, both breakfast and dinner. The rooms were of a high standard.
There is plenty to do within the surrounding area and the staff were helpful when it came to navigating/understanding the 'bus boats' timetable on the lake.
My brief is short but thats all it takes when you stay at a good hotel!

paradise found

by TripAdvisor Member wallyglasseye

We have just returned from a week at the Hotel Cannero and have to agree with the reviews we read before booking. The food,staff.and rooms are all first class and it really is a family run hotel we were greeted at reception by 3 generations of the family at different times! We opted for a superior room on the first floor with a good size balcony overlooking the ferry landing(which wasn't noisy) the views were fantastic and we can recomend a trip on the Maggiore express for 28 euros you take the ferry to Switzerland take the train through the alps take another train to Stressa add then ferry back to Cannero. A good way from Stressa back to Cannero is to take the Hydrofoil it only costs 80 cents more but you must book!

romantic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member birdieboys

We stayed 5 nights here in Sept. We had a lovely lake view room. Everything was nice. We had a junior suite. It was nice size and had a lovely bathroom. There was a small balcony with a lake view. The hotel provided slippers and bathrobes. The half board meal was so so, but a good value for the area. Cannero Riviera is a quiet, pretty , small town on the lake.

Great value... excellent hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member tntprz

Amazing find for this area. The price for what you get is tremendous. The hotel is spotless, the staff friendly and the location great. The town of Cannero is small, but there are several good restaurants and you take a nice walk along the lake. There is a beach on the other side of town - not glamorous, but clean enough and you can take a dip in the lake - but the hotel has a beautiful pool that is private and well maintained. If you travel with a large dog, just beware that you may get a 'dog room'. They are not nearly as nice, but still adequate and have much more space than the other, newer rooms. The town of Cannobio up the road is worth a visit and the markets on Saturday at Intra (Verbania) are worth a visit as well. Ferries leave from the front of the hotel for other spots on the lake a few times a day.

The island view from CanneroThe island view from Cannero

Recommended campsites on Lake Maggiore

by pixie77

Can anyone recommend any campsites on Lake Maggiore? I will be travelling with my boyfriend- no children, in August. Whilst we don't want to spend loads we also want a clean, well equipt site near the shores.

Thanks

Re: Recommended campsites on Lake Maggiore

by Ina08

Not to be a spoilsport, but you are aware that August is peak holiday season in Italy and apart from the best places near the shores being taken up, it might be a good idea to consider booking in advance?

Re: Recommended campsites on Lake Maggiore

by Manara

Cannero Riviera has a very nice campsite, but not very large. Cannobio, a few km away, has a larger one. I think it is advisable to book now.

I think the landscapes in that part of the lake are the nicest. I will be there for a week in May for the fourth time and I am already longing for it!

Lake Maggiore towns

by edwis

Need help in locating which would be good place for our stay - Fewer tourists is better; more quaint & low keyed the better. Not wanting to pay the high money of the major resort areas. either Italy or Swiss is doable. Other nearby lake settings would also be considered. thank you for any ideas.

by cgf

you may go to Luino (italy) or Locarno (swiss)

do not miss the centovalli tour

I would suggest a stop at IsolaBella.

by Callavetta

I absolutely agree with Locarno. Also, across the lake, Gerra Gambarogno has a lovely little hotel http://www.ticinohotel.ch/hotels.php?Id=7482&Lingua=Uk Hotel Panorama that was moderately priced and had great meals.

If you are in that area be sure to take the Centovalli train. Stop at one of the small towns with gondolas that will whisk up up the mountain where you can stroll on easy trails to Grottos, having lunch with a view to die for. If you're so inclined, rent a bike at the last Swiss town and ride back to Locarno. It's all downhill and very easy. Also, take the 20 minute train to Bellanzona and visit the three Roman castles. Very pretty.

I also really enjoyed the ferry ride from Locarno to Stressa for the day.

by Manara

Locarno is beautiful, but it is a largish town with over 60,000 inhabitants. If you are looking for a small and picturesque village I recommend Cannobio or Cannero, just a few Km south of the border between Italy and Switzerland.

by Callavetta

You may want to take a look at Orta. The town of Orta is very small and the hotel of the same name, right on the lake is quite charming and not pricey.

Comments