Hotel Bristol

Costs 36% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Bristol

Hotel with View of Lake Maggiore

by no1birdlady about Grand Hotel Bristol at lake Maggiore

We had a very nice room in this hotel. The best views are from rooms on the front which we didn't have but we had a room on the side with a terrace outside a sliding glass door. I fixed myself a coke and went out to sit on the balcony to look at the lake with my feet up. It's a beautiful view. The room is spacious with 2 twin beds and a sitting area by the window. Since we were on a tour, I do not know how much this room costs because it is included in the cost of the tour. One day we wandered around the hotel looking at the beautiful public areas that all had lovely furniture and fresh flowers. One sitting area had antique victorian furniture and a vase of Calla Lilies on a glass topped table.
The breakfast room here on the first floor has windows that overlook the lake and the rising sun floods the room in morning light.

Walk Along Lake Maggiore in N. Italy

by no1birdlady

Across from our hotel, The Grand Hotel Bristol, there is a park that runs along the shores of Lake Maggiore all the way into town(apx. half a mile). There is a walkway with views of the lake. It's beautifully landscaped with flowers. We walked from our hotel into town. The lake is so beautiful with snow capped mountains in the distance. It's April so is still cool. Chaffinches were singing in the park and Blackbirds were on the lawn.

Our Hotel, Grand Hotel BristolOur Hotel, Grand Hotel Bristol

Hotel Bristol, Stresa

by vivsteer

Hi,

Your post is helpful but am wondering if there is much to do and what the nightlife/restaurants are like. We stayed at Lake Garda and found the resort very quiet, the ferries stopped at 7pm so we were stuck near our hotel. We are a couple in our early 50s who like relaxing surroundings but are happy to let our hair down in the evenings.

Many thanks

Re: Hotel Bristol, Stresa

by royalempress

We stayed on Isola Prescarori which is just a short distance from Stresa. Yes, Stresa is very slow during the evening. Your hotel, the Bristol, also owns a hotel which we stayed at for four nights, Hotel Verbano. We didn't care much for the Bristol as we it was kind of overly decorated and almost gody. The staff seemed kind of aloof and not overly friendly. Parking for our hotel, Hotel Verbano, was located in the Bristol's lot.

The Hotel Verbano is an old fashion Italian hotel that has retained all its wonderful Italian charm. They have two really great restaurants that seemed to fill every night with local Italians from the mainland. The ferries also stop running in the evenings also, however, the restaurant/hotel has a private launch that will pick you up on the mainland. There are also many private water taxis available. Be sure and negotate the price of the taxi. If the weather is nice there are great views from the garden restaurant.

Re: Hotel Bristol, Stresa

by Manara

Also Stresa is pretty quiet after dinner time, and the Isola dei Pescatori is even more so, with only cats around at night.
In Stresa I know a restaurant and cafe that sometimes has music after dinner, and also tango nights, it is named L'Idrovolante, in Piazzale Lido.
There's also a music cafe named Isla Bonita, but I have never been there. It's in Piazzale Lido as well.

Rome to ??????????

by Ian&Ann

Hi guys

We are going to Italy in mid August for 12 nights. We have booked to stay in Rome for 4 nights. We have visited Rome before and wanted to go back for our aniversary. We intend to travel back to the airport, hire a car, then head on to a quiet little resort to stay at for a week. I was wandering if any of you guys had any good ideas of where we could visit and stay? We have been to the almalfi coast twice before and just fancy going somewhere different.

Any ideas??

Ian

RE: Rome to ??????????

by Mikebb

Hi You are very lucky, we recently visited Italy and had a few days at the Italian Lakes district, very beautiful country and the hotel resort we stayed at was excellent. We were at Lake Maggiore in a town called Stresa , the hotel was Grand Hotel Bristol, well worth visiting. You are welcome to view my Stresa pages with photos of hotel and other attractions.
Good Luck, Mikebb

RE: Rome to ??????????

by nomad7890

I was going to provide a similar reply - we visited Lago di Como instead. Have heard that Maggiore is also beautiful. Here is a web site:

If you decide to go to Lago di Como, it's good to stop in Varenna and have lunch at the Albergo Olivedo (shameless plug for my restaurant tip). I found this restaurant in VT and what a treat is was! Varenna is a very romantic, beautiful place to explore too!

If not driving it's easy to get to Varenna - just take the train to Tirano from Milan Centrale and get off in Varenna.

Whatever lake you choose, (if you do) - enjoy, and happy anniversary.

Regards, Nomad

RE: RE: Rome to ??????????

by nicolaitan

The lakes are beautiful and perfect for a break but are also a long trip from Rome. Since you have been to Amalfi, consider the closer Tuscan or Ligurian coast including from N to S the Santa Margherita - Camogli - Portofino area or the cinque terra or Orbitano area.

two week honeymoon in August 2008

by gowest06

Can anyone help me plan a reasonably priced two week vacation including Rome and Positano for my daughter and her fiance? They are use to hostels, but perhaps one or two nights in something more luxurious, since it is their honeymoon. Lake Como, perhaps or maybe somewhere in Tuscany? The fiance definitely wants to see some of Rome, but anywhere else in Italy would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input (for August of 08)

by zuriga

I think Lake Como is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen - perfect for a romantic honeymoon ... or part of. There are some not so expensive hotels in the town of Cernobbio - right on the lake. From there, one can take the lake's boat to many of the other lovely towns on the water. Tuscany isn't bad either!

by Yogues

Sounds like a great plan. My wife and I did 16 days last year (Varenna on Lake Como, Venice, Tuscany, Amalfi Coast and Rome) renting a car and staying in small hotels for under $6,000.00, and that included $2,000 for airfare and no skimping on food. Of course, the Euro was $1.19 then, so add another 10% or so for the exchange rate. If that's the price range your thinking, I can give you a detailed itinerary of what we did, where we stayed, etc.

by Mikebb

Hi 2 years cago we had a few days at the Bristol Hotel, Stresa, on Lake Maggigore in th Italian lakes district, Lake Como is nearby. This is a fantastic location, ideal for romance. have a look at photos on my Stresa pages. The weather in August will be excellent, we were there early Oct and got some rain, but it was still ideal.

Good Luck,