Hotel Villa Aminta

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Stresa

Stone Gotto roomsStone Gotto rooms

Isola Bella - the other side from the boatIsola Bella - the other side from the boat

The Beach of Loco StresaThe Beach of Loco Stresa

PromenadePromenade

Transferring to Stresa in early April

by eleonorrigby

I'm going to Stresa on Sunday in the beginning of April. I've heard there is a limited connection to Stresa this day.

I've been here:

I know the Alibus from Malpensa to Stresa will start run on 21 of April in 2011.
Also I know that there is a local bus from terminal 1 to Gallarate Train Station by the SACO company. But I can't find the schedule as the Saco site doesn't work.
Where can I find the correct schedule for SACO buses from Malpensa to Gallarate Train Station?

My flight is in the afternoon. Does it mean I can take only 13 30 or 15 30?

by hawkhead

I think, although I would wait for an Italian VTer to confirm this, that you are looking too far in advance. From what I gather, from reading similar questions re train and bus schedules in the Italian forums, the full schedules only come up about a couple of months in advance. I seem to also remember someone saying that you should look, say, only for the day of the week you want to travel and just use the current schedule as it doesn't vary much, if any.

by mccalpin

Yeah, it's funny, it's almost like S.A.C.O. doesn't operate under that name any more, as I can't find a website for them at all - the website that I think you are referring to is part of the Lombardy Regional Transportation website.

Airport website aren't always updated as quickly as the bus websites are, so we can't take the SEA website as gospel either. On the other hand, Gallarate is only 12 kilometers from the airport (by car - as the crows flies, it's a lot closer).

I would be willing to bet that by the time you arrive at Malpensa, there will be some sort of bus service to Gallarate, and worst case, if there isn't, as a backup plan, you can always get a taxi to take you to the Gallarate FS train station. After all, Gallarate is the closest town to the airport - it's inconceivable that there wouldn't be any transportation between the two.

P.S. if you look at next Sunday's schedule for Gallarate to Stresa at www.trenitalia.com , it looks like there are 12 trains from Gallarate to Stresa between 1:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., so you should have no problem getting up to Stresa once you've gotten to Gallarate...

Bill

by leics

Is the bus timetable on this page?

I think it may be the H614 operated by Comazzi, although I can't find it in such detail on their site:

by mccalpin

The table at http://www.comazzibus.com/orari/i_borgomanero_gallarate.pdf does show some buses from Malpensa to Gallarate, but too few...somebody has got to have more frequent service than this ;-)

Bill

by leics

One would think so....but if the demand is not there then perhaps it is no longer so?

Travel Tips for Stresa

Palms and snow

by Manara

One of the fascinating things about this lake is its climate, which is very mild for an area that is at the foot of the Alps. Due to this fact, it is possible to enjoy the view of the Alps with their snow caps while basking in the sun amid palm trees.

Some more history

by Manara

Have you ever heard of the Stresa Conference, or of the Stresa Front?
It's something dating back to 1935. In March Adolf Htler had declared publicly that Germany was going to rearm, so in April, from the 11th to the 14th, representatives from Italy, France and Great Britain met in Stresa, to agree on their future cooperation in peace-keeping, and especially to protect Austria from Germany's threats. This alliance was called "The Stresa Front". However, it took just a few months to show it was all talk and no substance: on June 18th Britain signed a naval treaty with Germany, allowing this country to build more war ships. The other partners were incensed by this unilateral move, and in October Itay invaded Abyssinia.
The meeting took place in the Borromeo Palace on the Isola Bella, more precisely in the Music Room. If you happen to visit the place, it is interesting to know some of the things that happened here.

Visit to Island of Isola Bella

by Mikebb

Part of our Italian coach tour was a boat trip to Isola Bella an island on Lake Maggiore and not far from the town of Stresa where we were staying for 2 nights. It was raining since we arrived in Stresa and we were hopeful that it would clear overnight for this boat trip oon the lake. No such luck and the only reason we went is it was we had paid for this optional excursion. It was raining and very misty however our small group took the challenge and we had a most enjoyable boat ride, we kept dry, and on arrival at the island we soon saw the Borromeo Palace and other shops and buildings. Very close to the island is another named Isola dei Pescatori, this is the Fishermans island where their families live.The Borromeo Family are one of the richest Italian families and own the whole lake as well as the fishing rights.

STRESA

by olja1234

This is the view onto the lakeshore with the most beautiful (and expencive) hotel.
The lakeside promenades are lined with magnolias, camellias and verbena and many other flowers and Mediterranean trees.

The Villa of Isola Madre

by ChrsStrl

Outside the Villa itself stands a magnificent Kashmir Cypress from Tibet. Over 200 years old it rears magnificently in the air, its huge bole a tribute to its vast age.

The Villa is quite fun. There are the inevitable family portraits and varied classical scenes but some rooms have interesting features like the dolls' room, two rooms of puppet theatres (the first reminded me of those Sicilian puppet shows that still featured a wicked Saracen and a helpless maiden). The second room I'm sure had far more appealing puppets for the children with a menacing wide-mouthed, much-toothed, dragon and some spooky elements.

Comments