Hotel du Parc

riorich55's Profile Photo

Hotel du Parc - Part 2

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 28, 2012

Continuing from my Part 1 review - The Hotel du Parc is a mostly downhill walk from the train station which is about 550 meters away according to the hotel's website. We rolled our bags downhill getting our first glimpses at the town of Stresa. At the foot of the hotel we took our first picture and while I walked up the 37 steps and around back to the entrance, Sue took the curving car driveway. We checked in and were given our weighted room key for room #5 which was up on the First floor (remember in Europe the ground floor is what Americans consider the first floor). We entered the lift and entered our room in the Villa.

We had reserved the room rather late, so we did not have a view of the city and the lake on the front side, but we did also did not have a room on the backside looking over the gardens near to the train tracks. Our room was on the side facing the parking area and the hotel extension which has some more rooms next door.

The room was very good sized with a nice high ceiling, closet to hang clothes and put our suitcases, 2 night stands on either side, internet connection from within our room and a very nice and spacious bathroom including a medicine cabinet. There is a small old fashioned TV, but we didn't even turn it on during our 3 night stay. Who wants to watch TV when there is so much to explore?

Unique Quality: As I've said the hotel is a converted Villa and while some people may consider things outdated, we found the entire building and grounds very upscale in an old eloquent way. There were 3 floors with rooms with either 5 or 6 rooms per floor. Besides the entrance way where you checked in and left your key when you left the facility, the main floor consisted of 2 parlor type rooms where you could read, play games, go on the internet, have a drink, talk, whatever. There was a bar area with a wide assortment of drinks that could be made (we didn't partake) and a beautiful dining area where breakfast was served each morning.

As you can see from the couple of dining area pictures I have hear the room is very bright and cheery. Most of the couples we had breakfast with each morning either seemed to be newlyweds or people in their 50's, 60's and 70's. The room was very quiet and each table had a crisp turquoise tablecloth on top of another white tablecloth.

The breakfast was the best on our trip. Homemade breads, cakes, pastries, hard boiled eggs, jams, yoghurts, meats, cheeses, cereals, juices, coffee and teas (I'm probably forgetting a few things). It is all self-serve but their was an Italian staff member who was sharply dressed who kept the tables clean and made sure that there was enough food for everyone. It was a great way to start every morning. A bright sunny room overlooking the city of Stresa below and a classy meal.

riorich55's Profile Photo

Lovely Old Villa at the edge of the Main Town

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 27, 2012

PART ONE OF A TWO PART REVIEW - This villa turned hotel in 1952 was our place of residence for 3 nights while in Stresa. This was originally not our first choice as I had previously booked another hotel in the middle of town for a 2 night stay about a month before. When we made a couple of changes in our itinerary and I asked if we could stay another night at our original choice they said they had no more room at the inn for that 3rd night. Since I had booked at booking.com with free cancellation I went ahead and did that and went to my 2nd choice the Hotel du Parc.

Why wasn't it my first choice? A couple of reasons. The first was that it was very near the train tracks and in a number of reviews I read I was concerned by the possible noise that the trains would make as they rumbled through during the evening when we were trying to sleep. The second was that it was about 10 Euros more per night and the third was that it was at the edge of town.

I wasn't too worried though as most of the reviews, other then the possible noise of the trains, was very favorable.

So, I booked the 3 nights and it turned out to be our absolute favorite place to stay on this trip to Europe.

A couple of pictures I have here will show you some of the outside and the inside of the room. So as not to get too wordy on this page and also to show more of the inside of the converted Villa I have added a second review.

Nearby Hotel du Parc

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Hotel du Parc

• Free Parking

Stresa Travel Forum

Need advice about Stresa, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Stresa and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Stresa hotel reviews

Walk down the mountain
Follow in Hemingway’s footsteps
The Borromeo Islands
Things to Do
Explore the centre of town
Things to Do
Have a view from the mountain top
Villa Pallavicino and its park