Starhotels Majestic

807Wheaton's Profile Photo

Very good downtown location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 26, 2012

We enjoyed our three days in Turin, probably because of the excellent location of this hotel. It is conveniently located opposite the Porta Nuova Station, near the main downtown. The room we had was very bland, outdated even, but it was a good size, clean, and housekeeping was good. The lights all worked and there were plenty of electrical outlets. The towels were thin and the TV was old fashioned with very few channels. There was a fridge in this room. No wash cloth in the bathroom and only shower gel and shampoo - no conditioner or lotion. Actually the bed was quite comfy and so were the pillows. The bathroom was off from the entryway which was rather nice because it kept things quiet.
We were able to walk to downtown within a few minutes from this hotel. There are several eating and shopping areas nearby.
Because we were with a Globus tour our breakfast was included each morning in a grand dining room. The food was very good - they brought the coffee to our table. They had croissants, crusty rolls, cold cuts, sausages, scrambled eggs, asssorted fresh fruit and prepared fruit, cheese, yogurt, milk and tea.
There was no safe in our room so we left our valuables and passport in a security box at the front desk. It was open 24/7 so there was no problem retrieving things we needed. The lobby was very grand and had a lovely seating area. There were several elevators and they were quick.
I am unable to give a cost for our room nor a cost for breakfast as this was a Globus Tour.

Unique Quality: Location! Location! Location!

AnnS's Profile Photo

Handy for the Station and Airport Bus

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 29, 2006

This is a very convenient hotel, directly opposite the Porta Nuova railway station and only 100m from the Airport Bus stop. It's also only a short walk to the historic centre of Turin and there's a stop for the 'hop on, hop off' tourist bus about 5 minute's walk away.

The service was polite and efficient and my single room turned out to be a very spacious double with a spotlessly clean and well-equipped bathroom, although there was no bath... just a shower. Breakfast was the usual buffet affair but there was a good range of hot and cold food, although the coffee was horrible... surprising in a city which specialises in excellent coffee.

However, there were a few shortcomings. Firstly there was no safe in the room, even though there was plenty of space in the wardrobe for one. On request, it was possible to use one at reception which was just large enough to accommodate my tiny laptop but it was a bit of a nuisance having to gain access to it. Another major irritation was that the restaurant was closed for the whole of August and I didn't find that out until I'd arrived. But the thing that annoyed me most was the exhorbitant charge for use of WiFi Internet. This was one of the main reasons I'd selected the hotel and I was horrified to find that the minimum charge was 22 euros for 24 hours but they were consecutive, meaning that if you only wanted a connection for a couple of hours, you still had to pay the 22 euros. That price may be of no concern to business travellers who can claim it back on expenses but for leisure travellers on a budget it's unacceptable.

All in all I would say it's a comfortable base and very convenient for transport but I would have been less satisfied if I hadn't got a very good deal on Expedia, i.e. about £45 a night.

Directions: Almost directly opposite Porta Nuova railway station and only 100m from the Airport Bus stop.

I liked the Starhotel Majestic

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 24, 2006

Great location, just across the street from the train station. Very friendly and helpful staff. Nice big clean room with a good mattress (I have a bad back), big bathroom. nice breakfast. Solid. I would stay here again.
Yes there is no view but I woud say that since the city is flat and there arent any high rises, you may have trouble getting a room with a view in any hotel.

Directions: across from the train station, Stazione Nuovo
there is a shuttle bus to the airport within 5 minutes walking which is very convenient if you have an early flight like I did

Great Value and Location: Definitely A Go!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 10, 2006

The friendly helpful staff says it all despite our late night arrival. Two adjacent comfortable double rooms were booked for our family of 4, and were clean and fine with slippers and everything -- a good size, but no view. WIthout asking, we were given a map of the town and shown that the center city was just behind the hotel a 5 minute walking for shopping and sightseeing.

Breakfast was plentiful and we were well-rested for the rest of our trip. Secure parking was available for our car.

Don't be fooled by the hotel's name, it is definitely a 4* and service is well-trained in time for the Torino winter games. We stayed in December 2005.

Unique Quality: Great location.
Good breakfast and cappucino.
Good value for money at the time of our stay.

Directions: Town center just behind hotel, 5 minute walk, lots of shopping in area.

Nearby Starhotels Majestic

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge

Torino Travel Forum

Need advice about Torino, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Torino and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Torino hotel reviews