Via Piccinni 155, Bari, Puglia, 70122, Italy

Expedia.com Booking.com Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

Well-run and central

The Hotel Boston won't be the most exciting or enticing hotel you've ever stayed at, but it is a solid choice for a stay in Bari. While the rooms are on the poky side (this isn't the place to go if you plan on spending much time in the hotel), they are very clean and have the usual well-stocked minibar, A/C and cable TV.

We found the service extremely friendly, helpful and professional. With trouble finding onward accommodation for our trip we bothered the staff on reception endlessly with requests to use the internet (free, located in reception), to make phone calls and for advice. All this after we'd checked out and all granted with a smile.

The location is very central - in fact, the Boston was the cheapest central hotel we found online. You are minutes away from restaurants, museums and shops in the new town and only fifteen minutes at most from the old town. The ferry and cruise terminals are a similar distance. You can also walk here from the train station in around five to ten minutes.

Breakfast was included in the price and perfectly fine.

Phone calls are reasonable too - two calls to Albania cost EUR 5, one to the UK EUR 3. This is a hotel that does not rip you off for intenational calls.

In a city that does not have many accommodation options the Hotel Boston is a good place to base yourself. The service alone meant I would be happy to return.

Unique Quality: The hotel has an underground garage.

Directions: Located in Bari's new town but within 15 minutes of the old.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Tales of a Mini Bar #17

The Hotel Boston is a very good mid-market hotel and perhaps in some areas aspiring to be a really classy joint. As they say first impressions are so important and here the first impression is of class with the usual Italian hints of flair. The reception area positivitely gleams, from its marbled floor, to the mirrored ceiling, as does the desk clerk's welcome.

Check-in is swift with my passport being exchanged for a huge paperweight of a keyholder with the instruction to swap back if I go out - I am not going to forget that this is in my pocket!!!

The room itself is immaculate, tasteful, modern and provided with almost everything I need for my overnight stay. There is no in-room internet facility which is a bit of an oversight for such a modern hotel and nor is there coffee-making facilities. There is however - A MINI BAR !!!

The hotel brochure on the desk is quite brief but does have a useful city map and there is a "coffee-table" type hardcover brochure from the local tourist board singing the city's praises in glorious technicolour and 2 languages.

Unique Quality: Those that know me will recognise where this is going, for those that don't, let me briefly explain my hotel routine. (It's a comfort thing!)

On arrival at a hotel the first thing I do is search out the coffee-making faciliies (if available), then light a cigarette, make the coffee and sit to read the hotel gumph with my cigarette and my coffee.

And so, here there is no coffee machine, but I do have a mini-bar, this I can live with. I open the mini-bar and it looks pretty well-stocked to me: aperatifs, nightcap and breakfast all sorted. Hmmm, perhaps not - a thorough search, reading every bottle's label, reveals that there are 2, and 2 only, beers in this so-called mini-bar and that everything else is either water or is non-alcoholic - YIKES!

This wasn't actually a major disaster really as the night clerk was more than happy to get a couple of beers from the bar when I returned later evening. Also the internet thing wasn't a problem either as the lobby has a complimentary machine.

All, in all, this was an excellent hotel, and should I ever be in this neck of the woods again will definitely be first on my list.

Directions: Via Piccinni runs left to right about 2 streets before you arrive at the Old City and harbour areas and is pretty much unmissable coming down from the train station.

PS sorry for naff photos, others weren't usable at all.

Comments