Il Banano B&B

Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 43, Lecce, Italy

• craic's Profile Photo

Extras!

I just loved my single room up a flight of stairs above the kitchen. (Very precipitous stairs.)
    I had a little narrow sitting room, and a little narrow bedroom, a view of the banana trees in the courtyard and a cavernous bathroom down a flight of stairs.
    The whole place was oozing with atmosphere. So I shouldn't have been surprised that one day, when I lay down for an afternoon sleep, a strange phenomenon occured. A full on ghostal appearance accompanied by a howling, hot wind. I was about to fall alseep and the wind was annoying me so I got up to close the door - and realised it was closed.

The Murder in the Street at Lecce

At the same time – as I reached out my hand
    to close the door because of the great wind rushing
    I realised the door, and the window, were closed.

I opened the door as if it was all I could do
    at the same time – a man in a long, dark cloak
    brushed me aside in a fever to escape

from the deed he had done, the knife in the throat
    because of the words said about the woman he loved
    and he escaped. But not by the route with which

he had escaped all those centuries ago. That way
    is closed to him now. But he makes his escape
    again and again. The sound of his boots on the stairs.

• craic's Profile Photo

Charming, cheap, central

This was booked for me by locals - and I couldn't have liked it more. They only have 3 rooms and my single room - with private bathroom down a flight of stairs - was 30 euro a night with a much better breakfast than one usually expects in Italy. Really very very good. Fruit, yoghurt, croissants, chocolate pastries and excellent coffee.
    It is one floor of a family palazzo - the young guy who runs it is charming and obliging and lives upstairs.
    It couldn't be more central. One minute to the main square.
    But it is not out and out luxury. How can I put it? It has got all those quirks that one hopes for when one is traveling hopefully. There was a switch for the hot water in my bathroom that I could never get the hang of.
    And the two double rooms at the front have a sort of screen arrangement so you can get out into the hallway and access your bathroom without anyone seeing you. Hard to describe, kind of delightfully odd.
    Big sitting room with charming courtyard outlook, and big breakfast room with exquisite glimpses of curving staircase.
    I googled and googled and googled and could find no mention of them at all on any accomodation web site. It must be a local B&B for local people to book their visitors into.
    Luckily another B&B proprietor answered my question on Tripadviser - so now I have a phone number.
    If this is your sort of thing, I can guarantee you will love it.

Unique Quality: Because the locals love to meet and greet until midnight in the passegiata, the rooms at the front may be a little noisy. But very little traffic to speak of. Just walkers and talkers and bikers.

Directions: So close to the main square you are practically in the main square.

Comments