Mistral Hotel

Typical street in AlgheroTypical street in Alghero

Bike Hire/Tennis Courts

by RoyKeane

Hi

Is it easy to hire a bike for a day(s)?
Are there good public transport links around the island? Is it possible to get around without having to hire a car?

RE: Bike Hire/Tennis Courts

by Irish_Man

yes, you can get bikes along the Lido, there are a few places. The trains and buses are ok, and inexpensive. Buses go from the town centre and the train is a little outside the centre.

cheers

Travel Tips for Alghero

Argentiera, an old silver mine

by gmg61

North of Alghero lies Argentiera.
As the name itself suggests it's an old mining town closed several years ago and now practically abandoned. Only few people live here but don't have anything to do with the old mine. The whole area looks like a "ghost town".
Even if forbidden (and dangerous!) you can go through the several holes in the fence and explore the old, abandoned buildings of the mine. Beware the rats and the bees!
Walking around you'll even see the mine entrance, a hole carved in the rock and closed with a huge stone.
Nearby there is a beautiful beach if you'd like to take a swim after exploring the area.

Alghero!

by Kristoffer90

My trip to Alghero was my first "real" trip outside of Scandinavia ever (I went to Glasgow with my family in 2007 to attend to a relative's wedding, but that was before I became interested in travelling), and boy, what a place it was! The contrasts to where I live, Norway, was impressive. Alghero is a town of some 40,000 people, 10,000 less than my hometown; yet, it had a nightlife I never imagined. People didn't seem to care what time of day it was, they didn't go home unless they really had to. I saw 80 year old women sit around and chat long after midnight, something which would never happen here where I live.

We didn't meet many other tourists there though. Despite being the second largest island in the Mediterranean, Sardinia (or at least Alghero) isn't a major tourist destination - yet. Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing. No drunken teenagers raving about the city all night, no "this city has more tourists than inhabitants" image; Alghero is a small unspoiled paradise. On the downside, people don't speak much English. That didn't stop them from communicating with us though! When we arrived, we had trouble finding the place we were staying at, so we asked an old (and tiny!) lady if she could help us. She didn't understand a word we were saying, but we wrote down the address, and she walked with us up the street while talking and smiling and asking other locals for us. People were really helpful even though they didn't understand us at all. Really amazing.

In short, Alghero was an amazing place, and the next time I visit (I am definitely visiting again!), I will try to see more of Sardinia itself too.

Comments