Localita Campulongu, Villasimius, Sardinia, 09049, Italy
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 160% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Stella Maris

lodging in Cinque Terre: Any non-steep options?

by amy312

I'm going to Cinque Terre for 3 days on the first part of a trip to Italy with my mom. She's in good shape (walks 3-4 miles a day), but I'm a little concerned about the steepness of CT. How easy is it to take boats from town to town? I know we can go by train, but boat would be prettier. Also, which town would you recommend staying in? From what I've read, I'm leaning towards Manarola-is this a good choice? Any recommendations of places to stay that do not require a very steep walk would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

RE: lodging in Cinque Terre: Any non-steep options?

by royalempress

Hi, It is very easy to take the boats from town to town and could be preferable to climbing the steep roads to the train stations. Our favorite town to stay in was Levanto which is fairly flat and has loads of restaurants and the best of the beaches.

We have stayed at the Hotel Stella Maris Via Maroni 4 which was small and had very nice rooms. Unfortunately they required that you purchase dinners with them. The food and wine was sub-standard and very expensive.

We have had relatives stay at the Garden Hotel in the center of town and loved it. It is not expensive and the location is excellent.

RE: lodging in Cinque Terre: Any non-steep options?

by rubbersoul75

ciao
Yes, the boats link all the towns but Corniglia which is not on the water. BUT, the boats don't run, or make the stops if the water is choppy, also the boats don't start runing until April (I've become intimately familiar with the transport around the 5-terre as I've helped organize a wedding week that's starting next weekend- we miss the boat season by 1 week!)

When are you traveling?

You'll have no problem reaching pretty much any lodging in the towns. When you reach one of the 5 towns, they are all generally small and walking from place to place is maneagable. They're not built on steep cliff/inclines. The walks BETWEEN the towns varry in difficulty. See my 1st transportation tip on liguria page for a run down of the main paths.

I'd lean towards staying in Manorola or Vernazza, Levanto is a good option, though not one of the 5 towns. Sort of the 6th of the 5 terre, it's the next town north.

Comments