Contrada Petrusa 14, S.S. 122 Km. 5.4, Agrigento, 92100, Italy

More about Agrigento

Flowering citrusFlowering citrus

ruinsruins

The temple of ConcordThe temple of Concord

Old Tonw (older part)Old Tonw (older part)

Travel Tips for Agrigento

Vulcanelli di Macalube

by Sjalen

Bubbling clay, shaping the landscape 15 km north of Agrigento into ever new forms. As I don't drive, I have no idea how to get here - we missed it when we were here but next time I will try to reach it. The nearest bus stop is supposedly in the town of Aragona on the way to Agrigento from Canicatti. Looking at the site below, I can't make up my mind whether a daytime or evening visit is the most spectacular. Have you been there? Send me a message :)

churches and S.Calogero

by vysnaite

There are 6 main churches in Agrigento. The biggest one , kind of cathedral, is the one up the hill (see next tip) Cathedral ' S. Gerlando. There's a newer churche in the downtown and a bigger one close to it should be built soon. Other main churches: Santo Spirito, San Maria dei Greci, S. Nicola, S.Calogero, S.Biagio. Of course, you'll find a bigger number of them there.

About religiosity and S.Calogero fiest please see local customs tips.

Agrigento -little Marocco with lots of Italy

by vysnaite

"Ancient Akragas"

At the moment that I'm writing this I'm in Agrigento for the second time of my life. I've been here three months ago, and now I'm here for another two weeks. Despite my long stays in Italy, mostly on the continental part, Sicily is quite a new discovery to me and Agrigento remains quite of a mystery, I do not talk about architecture or nature here, but about people and their mentality. Agrigento was founded in 581 A.C. , dominated by many different nations, from Greek, to Romans, and Arabs.

It would be great to say "yes, I've got an impression how sicilians or agrigentini are", but it's far away from the truth. I've always wondered how people staying in one place for a week or a few days say "oh, these people are sooo nice/sooo strange/sooooo bad" etc. I'm not staying in a hotel, but at my friends so I live with locals and sicilians still remain kind of a puzzle to me. Thought, I'd have to admit it's a nice puzzle!

Leaving apart those reflexive thoughts I'll try to put on some information on this page about the town, nature, architecture and my own impressions. IT's really a place worth a visit and not only for its ancient greek temples.

Agrigento is also a birth city of Pirandello and phylosopher Empedocle.

Comments