Residence Marino

Via 7, Balestrate, 90041, Italy

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Balestrate

Salemi made of bredSalemi made of bred

Salemi bread flowerSalemi bread flower

"La Batia" entrance"La Batia" entrance

Beautiful flowers close to the seaBeautiful flowers close to the sea

Winter

by hawkhead

What's Balestrate like in winter? Is everything closed? Any general comments and tips would be appreciated.

Hi!
I live in Balestrate and I can tell you that's quite difficult to give you a general answer. I mean a couple of days ago we had around 26 celsius and it was olike summer: people outside, walking on the beach and eating icecream. We had lunch and dinner outside on the porch and spent hours in the warm sun.
On the other hand right now is rainy and we have only 13 celsius :-(
What I mean by this is that everyhting depends on the weather. Balestrate is not Taormina. There aren't fancy hotels and expensive restaurants.
But Balestrate is perfect if you want to have a strategic base and see as much as possible of the west Sicily, and maybe also walking on the beach.
But hey, if you have in ming to visit in the colder months let me know what do you like to see and to do and I'm sure we could fill up your agenda with interesting things to do, wonderful places where to eat etc.

by hawkhead

Thank you so much for your reply. I will bookmark it and perhaps be back in touch in due course once we have decided exactly where we will stay. We thinking that perhaps for a stay of four weeks, which is what we intend, that being ina bigger centre, such as Palermo, would be better. Better base for reaching places and with more to see/do.

by lforrro

You'll have much more to do and to see in Palermo. That's for sure! Not to mention that there's always a night life there.
But if you have four weeks to spend in Sicily why don't you take the chance and see more of this beautiful island? For example in the winter period you could see Etna from Catania in it's full beauty, with the top covered by snow. Such a beautiful view is impossible to see in the summer wehn humidity is way to high.
Catanaia could be an excellent base for a longer period so if I was in your place I'll divide my stay in two parts between Palermo and Catania.
Catania has also a wonderful night life and so much to see.

by hawkhead

Thank you for your reply. We are planning to spend four weeks in Syracuse (Ortygia) and then move across to the other side of the island. So we will be having eight weeks altogether in Sicily.

Travel Tips for Balestrate

Festa di San Giuseppe

by lforrro

19 March is an important day in Sicily. It’s the day dedicated to San Giuseppe, one of the most beloved saints, based on the way Sicilians are celebrating him. These celebrations are definitely having a kind of a spring flavor, as 19 March is also close to the spring equinox. The celebrations of the 19th of March started around 1400, and from 1600 they are connected with the name of San Giuseppe.
They are a lot of cities I Sicily where san Giuseppe is celebrated with the famous “I tavulate ‘I San Giuseppi”, because he’s also the protector of the poor’s, and the tradition is to prepare a lot of dishes and give them to poor people.
In a lot of cities they also use three “Saints”, symbol of the Sacred Family, walking around and tasting something from every dish.
In Balestrate they are a lot of families prepare a lot of dishes for the people passing by and they are honored if you taste and appreciate their efforts. Close to Balestrate there’s a city where this celebration is really special. I’m talking about Salemi. In Salemi all the people in town are participating to the preparative of this special “diner”: women are busy by baking special forms of bread (some of them are really pieces of art!) and men are building the altar in a shape of a chapel. The altar will be decorated with the bread in different shapes (flowers, fruit, the sun the moon etc.). In Salemi the 19th March is a mix of sacred and pagan, as there are celebrating San Giuseppe but also the ancient Greek goddess Ceres, protective the bread the everything the earth is giving to his labors.

Comments